Poll: What kind of gamer are you?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

What kind of a gamer are you?

Ever since I started playing games in 5th grade or so, I've always been one to aim for 100% in every game. Beating Crash Bandicoot 2 wasn't beating it until I could collect all of the 42 gems alongside the 25 crystals. In Spyro 1 and 3 I also managed 100%'s. With the (relatively) recent addition of achievements in nearly all games, it's a bit harder to earn that 100%, but nevertheless it's my goal with nearly every game. Truth be told, I wish I wasn't like this; I have a very love/hate relationship with achievements, haha. What kind of a gamer are you?

edit: lol poll option one is 'burn out,' not 'burn'..
    Last edited by Sandoggg; 2012-01-22 at 06:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Usually I don't go for 100%, although for certain games like Dragon Age, I have been known to go out of my way to get an odd achievement or two.
    "When I was 5 years old, my mother told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, I told them they didn't understand life." - John Lennon

I will work for 100% until my eyes bleed. I recently finished getting my last achievement in a game called Too Human. Oh god, it took so long. The grinding, it was, it was, oh I don't even know how to fuckin explain it. I'd have rather leveled from 1-85 10 times in wow without any xp increasing things, via only grinding. Fuck that 7 piece elite armor set.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I blow through content as fast as I can on normal/easy, then come back through on harder difficulties. I might put slightly more effort into "collecting" crap the second or third time around, but by then, the game really isn't holding my attention span all that well.

WoW has held my attention just due to my competitive nature and arena for the last 2 years. Would like to say that I'm 3 days on the wagon and I'm not looking back. When Diablo 3 pops, I'll beat it, replay it, attempt max level, and hope I don't burn out inside a week.

If following the poll, I'm just a regular gamer. I'll usually give it my best to complete my games, though going for 100% Achieves and stuff isn't something that interests me too much.

Thanks to Elyaan for the great sig!

I tend to try and beat all the games I have on medium to hard difficulty the first time around. I always get so bored when I try and play through a game a second time.

Dont care for SP alot

I play every game on the hardest difficulty available the first time through without any outside sources. I follow that up by playing through and completing the game on the hardest difficulty. It annoys me to no end that I have to unlock the hardest difficulty on probably 80-90% of games. I want the hard experience my first time.
    You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me!

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much the same as Epiphanes... I play through the first time on easy just to see the story and get a feel for the game, then I come back and play it on a harder difficulty for achievements and stuff. Although since this year I can't really say that I've beaten most games I own considering my backlog is huge, but I guess that is an indicator of how big a gamer I am. I'm not really a completionist though, because I currently only have 2 games with 100% achievements unlocked being Skyrim and Assassin's Creed 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Runeforged View Post
    Usually I don't go for 100%, although for certain games like Dragon Age, I have been known to go out of my way to get an odd achievement or two.
    Same, there's a few games that I'll attempt to go for a 100% clear(looking at you Pokemon, Mass Effect, and The Elder Scrolls) but about 75% of the time I'll go for the end boss and be done with it for a few months when I decide to go back to kick their ass again. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I am a completionist, and damn proud of it! In fact, the ONLY game I'm nowhere near "done" with is WoW, simply because other games come along every now and then and steal my attention.

The worst is when another Pokemon game comes along. Gotta catch/breed/evolve em aaaaaaalll....... *faint*
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    I will work for 100% until my eyes bleed. I recently finished getting my last achievement in a game called Too Human. Oh god, it took so long. The grinding, it was, it was, oh I don't even know how to fuckin explain it. I'd have rather leveled from 1-85 10 times in wow without any xp increasing things, via only grinding. Fuck that 7 piece elite armor set.
    just gotta say that your sig is awesome

Depends on the game. Nowadays I don't care about getting 100% or getting ALL of the achievements. The biggest thing I'll care for is beating it on the hardest difficulty. All depends on what "100%" is. If "100%" takes forever, then screw it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Kind of poor choices of poll. I consider myself casual seeing as I don't have a lot of play time. I like to log on to whatever game, play how I like, do what I like, and log off even if I only spent 30 minutes online. But at the same time, I'm a completionist. I try my hardest to 100% games (if possible). I like getting all achievements (if possible) but as a casual, I like doing it just as I play. If I can get 90% of achievements just by playing, I'll focus hardcore on the last 10%. And finally, and this is the choice I chose as it seemed the middle ground, I'm a gamer. I've beaten most games I own. Those I haven't beaten are newer releases like Skyrim, or they cannot be beaten because they're ever expanding (various MMOs I play).

But whether I can complete the game 100% or not, I always try my best to succeed within the boundaries while having fun. If I'm not having fun, I generally just stop playing. Games are here for recreation, not a job...unless you're one of the lucky 0.0001% of gamers who make legit money off playing games at a higher level.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandoggg View Post
    just gotta say that your sig is awesome
    Why thank you. ^_^ I was also going include a long thing about Cell, lightspeed, and the Final Flash moving at least 25 million miles in 20 seconds, but sadly I'm right about at the character limit for my sig. And yes, DBZ is kind of my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by wtfPanzerkin View Post
    Kind of poor choices of poll. I consider myself casual seeing as I don't have a lot of play time. I like to log on to whatever game, play how I like, do what I like, and log off even if I only spent 30 minutes online. But at the same time, I'm a completionist. I try my hardest to 100% games (if possible). I like getting all achievements (if possible) but as a casual, I like doing it just as I play. If I can get 90% of achievements just by playing, I'll focus hardcore on the last 10%. And finally, and this is the choice I chose as it seemed the middle ground, I'm a gamer. I've beaten most games I own. Those I haven't beaten are newer releases like Skyrim, or they cannot be beaten because they're ever expanding (various MMOs I play).

But whether I can complete the game 100% or not, I always try my best to succeed within the boundaries while having fun. If I'm not having fun, I generally just stop playing. Games are here for recreation, not a job...unless you're one of the lucky 0.0001% of gamers who make legit money off playing games at a higher level.
    yeah that's always the issue i have with polls as well, there's never enough options. Part of the reason I am a completionist is because I don't buy games a lot. If I bought a new game every month, I'd stop going for 100%'s I imagine.

I only ever go for 100% complete when I feel a game is truly amazing and its sort of my nod to the game studio for providing me with an awesome experience (the exception is wow, holy shit these achievements are crazy time consuming )
    Hi Sephurik

I used to try and go for 100% back before the achievement era (circa PS2).
    Then achievements came along and kind of ruined it. However, if you consider in-game (as in not achievements, but the game's internal completion percentage), then I still try to get it to the highest possible level (for example in RDR I have 100% single player completed, but probably not even half of the achievements).

Quote Originally Posted by Sandoggg View Post
    yeah that's always the issue i have with polls as well, there's never enough options. Part of the reason I am a completionist is because I don't buy games a lot. If I bought a new game every month, I'd stop going for 100%'s I imagine.
    That's what was nice about playing WoW. It was also a money saver. $15 a month beats $60+ a month for a new game(s) for console or just triple A releases on PC.

I'm a regular gamer bordering on completist.

The only reason why I'm not a completist is that I set a lot of goals that I never manage to reach.