Thread: Fraps

Deleted

Fraps

Hi guys, I am having some trouble with Fraps, every time I record something when it comes to playing the clip back it lags horribly and the sound is out of
    sync.

Here are my computer specs:
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2210530

Fraps records in huge files. When you try to play them back, the video player is trying to read the huge file which will make it lag.

Deleted
    Shouldn't stutter with a 2500k/GTX 560. I can run my huge Fraps files with no issue, as long as I don't try to search (or rewind/fast forward).

Are you sure you have the latest Fraps version installed with the latest codec? What player are you using? What settings do you record to (framerate and resolution)? I get some slight issues in WMP (usually when loading) but not in VLC. I also get smooth playback in Video Vegas.

It's normal that the raw fraps files lag if you try to play those back on WMP or something like that from very slow/old/fragmented HDD, but the files should work flawlessly when loaded into some editor.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    What editor would you recommend for WoW raid videos?

Deleted
    That is free? Windows Movie Maker. Or as they renamed it: Windows Live Movie Maker. It's a free download as long as you have a legit copy of Windows I believe.

Non-free, probably Video Vegas. It exists as a slimmed down, cheaper version that is very affordable. It's also relatively easy to get accustomed with; the learning curve isn't as horrible as one would expect.

Deleted
    One final thing, why are things rendered in full HD, looking like crap on youtube? Is there something extra to do to make it look as good as it is?

Deleted
    YouTube scales down the quality a fair bit. For example, 720p footage is re-encoded to around 1.5Mbit/s. It makes the files smaller and easier to load for users (60 minutes ends up being around 700MB).

Youtube "squishes" 1920x1080 to 1920x1072, making the picture a bit blurry. I assume this is because of their video player.
    By rendering x1072 instead of x1080, you get the quality you'd expect.

And anytime I open a raw fraps clip in VLC, I get a BSOD within a minute or two. It really eats resources. Working with the clips and playing them in a movie editor works flawlessly though.

Quote Originally Posted by DrWinkenstein View Post
    One final thing, why are things rendered in full HD, looking like crap on youtube? Is there something extra to do to make it look as good as it is?
    Need to make sure that:

1) you keep same framerate through whole editing chain - if you fraps at 30fps, edit and render also at 30fps
    2) you edit and render as progressive frames and square pixels, never ever interlaced or top/bottom field first
    3) you keep same resolution throguh whole editing if possible
    (for youtube cut out 8 pixels from top/bottom to get 1920x1072 resolution in edit, not in render, to get size divisible by 16)
    4) use HD video codec when rendering the final movie. MP4/AVC/WMV are all passable, use at least 5000k bitrate, preferably 10000k
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    check the link in my sig for rending for youtube and keeping quality high
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right