Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I actually like the GW1 target calling system a lot. It was limited by the engine somewhat but it's very easy to use. Like being able to call out pings in League of Legends, I long for that in an MMO. Much easier than typing in /RW or chat.

As a tank, do you have any idea how much easier it would make my life if I can ping the target I want silenced and drop a second ping that an AOE is coming by alt/ctrl+click?

Love that function in games. Esp. when you are paying attention to like 10 things at once... make my gaming life easier ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    Where did you hear the ''we want people to look at the scenery rather than the UI''? Of course you are supposed to look at the UI, they just don't want healers to ''play whack-a-mole''. You're still supposed to look at your cooldowns/health/rage/initiative etc. And the GW1 UI was very customizable imo, not with addons but the game offered a lot of customization.
    I remember reading it too somewhere. It was something along the lines of, "We want you to play the game, not the UI", which was them responding the "complex" UI's that many games give that require you to pay a lot of attention to ability cooldowns and other UI elements instead of focusing on what is going on in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    I remember reading it too somewhere. It was something along the lines of, "We want you to play the game, not the UI", which was them responding the "complex" UI's that many games give that require you to pay a lot of attention to ability cooldowns and other UI elements instead of focusing on what is going on in front of you.
    They want people to look at the scenery, as in their surroundings. They explicitly stated that they want animations and spell effects to be more important then UI. UI itself is very much simplified and has bare necessities only.
    We don't even have resources, only cooldowns, which are one of the two main elements of UI.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    They want people to look at the scenery, as in their surroundings. They explicitly stated that they want animations and spell effects to be more important then UI. UI itself is very much simplified and has bare necessities only.
    We don't even have resources, only cooldowns, which are one of the two main elements of UI.
    Unless I'm mistaken, they do show resourses as part of the UI. I haven't seen the most recent screenshots enough to have them memorized, but I know initiative is displayed for thieves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    Thieves have Initiative, Necromancers have Life Force, Warriors use Adrenaline, and to lesser extent Guardians also need to watch virtues in UI.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, they do show resourses as part of the UI. I haven't seen the most recent screenshots enough to have them memorized, but I know initiative is displayed for thieves.
    Needed to specify that "resources" referred to was the energy, the main resource for all classes that was completely removed early in development.

There are still minor resources which are visible on the main UI, but they are notable small in terms of UI real estate, and are nowhere near as important as energy used to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AggroCrag32 View Post
    Lol, there goes Lucky_ again.
    Oh, shut up. The post had merit.

Not being able to customize the UI, while not being a dealbreaker for me, could be quite annoying. I've heard the default UI in the first GW was pretty movable and scalable, so I hope this returns.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post

Not being able to customize the UI, while not being a dealbreaker for me, could be quite annoying. I've heard the default UI in the first GW was pretty movable and scalable, so I hope this returns.
    They've already said you'll be able to move and scale the UI. Think about it, why would they regress from their first game in 2005?

It was pretty crude in the first GW1 though. Always was a huge turn off in group play.

Really hope we get full UI customization or at the least UI modification ability. I hated the stock UI in Aion as well. So much bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It was pretty crude in the first GW1 though. Always was a huge turn off in group play.

Really hope we get full UI customization or at the least UI modification ability. I hated the stock UI in Aion as well. So much bad.
    They've said they won't create API hooks themselves, but like GW1 if people want to make mods they are fine with it, but they don't officially support them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I absolutely love ToT in WoW for knowing who the mob is attacking. However, given the different threat mechanics, no direct healing, and discrete but effective health bars over everyone's heads, I don't think I would miss it if it did not appear in GW2.
    Also known as Welcome on the WoW forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post

In GW1, you had customizability directly comparable to default WoW UI + move anything addon. You could move and resize pretty much everything, but you couldn't add more information input sources for example. So you could do nothing to stuff like lack of target of target, lack of showing of stances and other instant skills on enemy cast bar (which got "fixed" some time around factions/NF by arenanet), not being able to see the actual debuff, only the debuff type and so on. The other problem that you could only move and resize "entities", like party window or skill bar. You could not split party window or skill bars, you could not modify the look of the "entity" only resize and move it and so on.

Early version of GW1 had a really shitty cast bar for example, as it didn't show instants and was really bad at showing fast cast skills of which there was a whole lot. They fixed it, but it took years. With add-on capability, it would have been fixed in a month or two by users because it was incredibly annoying.

The easiest thing to portray this in GW2 is health bubble. Many prefer a linear bar instead of a bubble where the most important area, your health when it's really low, is actually very hard to see.
    Last edited by Lucky_; 2012-01-22 at 11:59 PM.

The problem with GW1 UI addons was that many were just re-skins of the default terribleness. The nicest element of GW1 UI was the map. Overall, I didn't care for it and was one of my least favorite UIs in an MOG/MMO. Inventory management... dear god...

The one nice thing was the sparsity of the UI in GW1. Not a lot of huge bulky graphics ala Aion or default Warcraft. I really don't want huge FUCKING EAGLES on either side of my skill bar.

Well the bubble style for HP isn't much of an issue since there's a numerical value right on it. I do hope that we can possibly switch between numbers and a percentage by clicking it or an option in the settings.

The health globe you mean? Yea, that's a big sticking point for me right now. I can not stand that UI element. I find bars much more agreeable, I even like de/buffs in bar display.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The health globe you mean? Yea, that's a big sticking point for me right now. I can not stand that UI element. I find bars much more agreeable, I even like de/buffs in bar display.
    Nothing is perfect? But hopefully they'll add some UI choice there.. I hate the globe also :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by roflatorlunde View Post
    Nothing is perfect? But hopefully they'll add some UI choice there.. I hate the globe also :P
    I like the globe

Deleted
    I like the globe
    Some do, but I don't like the fact that it's a globe since the globe's percentage is different depending on where it is. I mean... err...
    It gets "tighter" which means a millimeter (mm) straight down is not as much health when it's in the southern part of the globe as it is when it's in the center of the globe... hard to explain, but I don't like the fact of that at least...
    It's good looking though

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by roflatorlunde View Post
    Some do, but I don't like the fact that it's a globe since the globe's percentage is different depending on where it is. I mean... err...
    It gets "tighter" which means a millimeter (mm) straight down is not as much health when it's in the southern part of the globe as it is when it's in the center of the globe... hard to explain, but I don't like the fact of that at least...
    It's good looking though
    Haha I know what you mean, but I think they will just do the percentage like the globe is a bar i.e. calculate the percentage vertically only if you know what I mean. And perhaps you can display health as percentage i.e. 59/100 hp -> 59%.

Deleted
    Haha I know what you mean, but I think they will just do the percentage like the globe is a bar i.e. calculate the percentage vertically only if you know what I mean. And perhaps you can display health as percentage i.e. 59/100 hp -> 59%.
    If they do like you said, show it like a "bar" but with a globe, that would be great. But if I'm correct the Gamescon footage didn't have it that way. :S