10+ Year Old Account

Jedi Knight AC Choice

As the thread title alludes to, I've got to choose AC on my Jedi Knight. I've been trying to weigh the positives on both picks but I'm still having a hard time deciding. Any thoughts or feelings you guys could give would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2012-01-22 at 03:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Changed the title a bit to help people know which Jedi you are talking about.

From what I've personally done, I've not found the Marauder (your Sentinel) all that interesting to play. I've never been great with melee but something about the Sentinel just really turned me off. I felt that I was leveling very slowly in comparison to my Bounty Hunter. That said, I have a friend who does amazing damage at level 50 with his and is extremely good in PvP.

The Juggernaut (your Guardian) I tend to see more of though, the people who go Guardian seem to think the tanking is slightly lackluster at the moment but it's decent. In regards to DPS I haven't met a person who hasn't enjoyed the Guardian DPS. It doesn't seem to lack anything, despite benig a "tanky" class and it does great in PvP since a Guardian is usually really durable. They're what all the premades in my groups use to carry the ball in Huttball since they just don't seem to die with a healer around.
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Like Rag said, there are a LOT of Guardians.

To make the choice simple: If you ever plan on tanking, take Guarding. If not, go Sentinel.

Guardian's get heavy armor. Heavy armor helps you stay alive. Two lightsabers do not keep you alive longer, and you won't be able to do anything except DPS ... ever. Why would you pick Sentinel?

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by elitenls View Post
    Guardian's get heavy armor. Heavy armor helps you stay alive. Two lightsabers do not keep you alive longer, and you won't be able to do anything except DPS ... ever. Why would you pick Sentinel?
    I'm thinking that we'll see Sent have slightly higher DPS in the end given the fact that is all it can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    I'm thinking that we'll see Sent have slightly higher DPS in the end given the fact that is all it can do.
    Agreed. Sentinel/Marauder are the only choice in the game that allow strictly DPS, all other AC's are hybrid. They really need to make it so that they are the highest DPS output (even if only slightly) - because otherwise, the *only* draw is the dual lightsabers, and that's pretty damn weak IMO.

If two lightsabers end your opponent's life quicker than they would be able to keep you alive longer. Remember a good offense can be a good defense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed. Sentinel/Marauder are the only choice in the game that allow strictly DPS, all other AC's are hybrid. They really need to make it so that they are the highest DPS output (even if only slightly) - because otherwise, the *only* draw is the dual lightsabers, and that's pretty damn weak IMO.
    Not entirely, the Sniper/Gunslinger AC is also a damage only. Having played one of those I can definitely say that the Sniper does a TON of damage. It feels like it does more than my Scoundrel of a similar level but it's really hard to saying with no parsing data. I know I can't one shot things on my Scoundrel that I can my Sniper though. I'd say Dakia's assessment of having the damage only guys do a bit more damage is probably accurate. Even if it's for no other reason than just because they can't throw out a quick heal or mitigate damage like the other classes do so their only thing they can do in a fight is DPS.
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

If you play your spec right you'll dominate as a Sentinel.

Seriously, watchman specd Sents are unkillable in a 1v1.

I love the watchman tree of Sentinel. 6 second interrupt, beefy dots that can heal you and your party, and with a wide cleave that does decent damage and costs next to nothing, they're good in the aoe department too. And with short defensive cooldowns like rebuke and a short CD aggro reduction ability, they have outs if they ever catch a beating.

if you play a tank in PvP with a healer and dps in a premade you will win practically every game you play, your survivability prevents capping and dying so that your team can respawn. Sents/Maras are among the squishest even with their CDs and if focused down will drop like nothing with every CD but 1 which is generally used with 2 pots. Watchmen sppecs Sents are far from unkillable, while they do a lot of self healing overall it isn`t something that is enough to keep you alive during anything but maybe a 1v1 fight, almost every class minus snipers/commandos will give you trouble. As a Sent especailly in the 50 bracket, with so many healers and tanks guarding them you want burst, damage, so you want to be Combat. your survivability means nothing if you can`t put the damage out.

that being said, in PvP Sent/Mara are performing 40% less than any other class. As one of these you are highly gear dependent and until you have 2 good weapons you`ll feel very weak.

I`ve leveled a Mara and a Sent to 50, it is THE hardest class to play, longside being very gear dependent, and being a squishy melee class that has a hard time staying on your enemy, save yourself the sanity and roll something useful, or play a tank.

Just to show you what a Combat Sent can do, http://youtu.be/oy_fhuIwh3U

Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    I hope not. Choosing your AC is a fairly permanent choice, and from what I've seen Bioware has no interest in changing that (much like Blizzard has no interest in making it so paladins can respec warrior). If one class is inherently "better", people will wish they were that class, making for bad feelings as they reroll and do "all the boring stuff again". DPS is touchy because it's good in practically every situation. I'd be happier to see them balance utility, survivability, etc.

Never mind miss read.
    Last edited by go4theknees; 2012-01-22 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Mis read.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by La View Post
    I`ve leveled a Mara and a Sent to 50, it is THE hardest class to play, longside being very gear dependent, and being a squishy melee class that has a hard time staying on your enemy, save yourself the sanity and roll something useful, or play a tank.

Just to show you what a Combat Sent can do, http://youtu.be/oy_fhuIwh3U
    I love a challenge. Damn bro you just made my decision alot harder.