Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousJesus View Post
    World PvP being Skill Based? Maybe in teamwork sure but anything else, blah

Planetside 2 looks good for wPvP and looking forward to GW2 for normal PvP. TOR has a decent PvP but needs to be worked on...

Apparently DAOC2 is being in the making ...
    If Mythic bioware and EA have nothing to do with it, then ill possibly consider becoming vaguely interested in it.
    Xilë - Affixed - Frostmourne

Shadowbane was 90% world pvp based.

Deleted
    I like some of your ideas. I've had similar ideas myself. Obviously ideas aren't enough. I'm gonna apply to read game developing - writing in college. Maybe you have something like that where you live? When I'm reading writing, we'll get to work together with those who read graphics, programming and sound to make games. It's really nice. You should start by learning some programming. I recommend C++ / C# (At least that's what I studied in high school). It's much easier to learn in school I guess. For one, you need alot discipline learning all at home but it works as long as you're motivated

I never understood why people have this hardon to try to make PvP this uber relevant concept compared to actual skill based PvP forums. It's a waste of time when in Role Playing Games your success ends up being determined 9/10 by RNG and math and NOT how good you are versus something like an FPS that is ultimately a reflection of your 'skillz'.

Quote Originally Posted by Viertel View Post
    I never understood why people have this hardon to try to make PvP this uber relevant concept compared to actual skill based PvP forums. It's a waste of time when in Role Playing Games your success ends up being determined 9/10 by RNG and math and NOT how good you are versus something like an FPS that is ultimately a reflection of your 'skillz'.
    How do some rogues get 2500 ratings every season while others can barely get 1500 with the same gear. I hate it when people say there is "no skill" in MMOs. Just because it is not a physical activity doesn't mean it doesn't take "skills". Arenas take more cognitive AND motor skills than running a marathon in example.

40K Dark Millenuim will be all about pvp.

The game your ideas are shaping up to become isn't anything new I'm afraid, and would be classified as a sandbox MMO, and there haven't been any real quality and successful sandbox MMO's out there (EVE Online might be an exception). Sandbox MMO's usually only manages to capture niche of the mmo gamers out there, however trends show many are growing tired of the standard themepark MMO's which have flooded the market as of late (WOW, RIFT, SWTOR), and gamers long after something different. Several sandbox MMOs are in development as we speak, so the question remains if a capable developer or several will manage to bring to sandbox MMOs what Blizzard brought to themepark MMOs. A real quality product with a good learning curve.

I'll list some of the upcoming games, and describe them with a few quotes:

ArcheAge
    "ArcheAge is an upcoming sandbox MMORPG that is set to be the fantasy version of EVE Online in most people's eyes. This title however, creates the perfect blend of MMOs that I said we needed and I believe it will have a big impact on the industry. Featuring three continents, players are introduced to a world where they are free to make their own choices and shape the world around them as they see fit. Two of the continents are each controlled by a faction which are at war, those are the starting continents, and the 3rd one is the one that players do shape. You can build your house(s) anywhere. If you build on the starting continent, your house is safe there. Other people cant just come and ruin your day. On the 3rd continent, they can. That continent will be full of clanwars, politics, castle building and sieges etc."

Fallen Thrones
    "Simply put, Fallen Thrones can not be classified as just a PvP playground, for the strong emphasis on Combat, PvP, and GvG, is only the beginning. War, politics, subterfuge, thievery, and maybe even new friendships lay beyond! Players are capable of building cities on any suitable plot of land, with full control over what is placed, and where it is placed. The sky is the limit here, and cities can range from small villages, run by a few players, to mega-cities, requiring a mass of players to create and operate. Players may own a multitude of cities, gaining such things as territorial control and dominance. Why own a city? Player owned cities enable a large advantage in ease of gameplay; resource collection, gear creation, leveling, safety, training, trading, and staging grounds are the main reasons to acquire a city. You don't need to own a city, or cities, but if you want to be recognized as a force, it sure doesn't hurt to own a continent or two."

- Embers of Caerus
    - Life is Feudal
    - Wakfu (currently in open beta)

The Repopulation, Dawntide, Salem, Haven and Hearth, Origins of Malu, Infinity Universe and many more... There are rumors that even the upcoming Blizzard mmo Titan is a sandbox mmo.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterland View Post
    How do some rogues get 2500 ratings every season while others can barely get 1500 with the same gear. I hate it when people say there is "no skill" in MMOs. Just because it is not a physical activity doesn't mean it doesn't take "skills". Arenas take more cognitive AND motor skills than running a marathon in example.
    Learn to read and go back and read what I typed.

I never said there was "no skill". Whatever skill you have in an MMO PvP is ultimately still decided by RNG and the math equations at work in the game.

The rest of your little blurb was just stupid. Comparing video game to physical activity = moronic.

Deleted
    I have seen a lot of people mentioning dropping your gear if you die which is a very debated idea. (dare I say it, yes it reminds me on runescape and lets be honest we all played it once, and the pvp in that could feel intense with a 100% risk factor)

I think this could be done in a few ways, you could have different servers which you can just change to and from which could have different settings, like 100% risk and safe pvp, or you could have a different system which I just thought up: You could have a setting that you can turn off and on (lets call it risking for now) where if you have risking on, then if you kill a player with risking on also you get their gear, and if you are killed by a player with risking on and you also have risking on they get your gear. This idea means essentially players who are 'risking' stand to make a bigger profit and players who are not risking will only get the standard reward.

Also, if you are to make it 100% risk idea then you could make the combat last a while, if you have an equivilent to 20k wow gold in items you don't want to lose it in 10 seconds, would be more epic and a bigger margin for skill (10 seconds fights are effected more by rng) if the fights are say a few minutes long.

In my opinion finding the idea is easy part, however, impelementing it in proper way is hardest part for game development. About OT, I would love such MMO

Deleted
    Ok so saw your thread and thought of a single idea from past gaming experience, this idea originates from 'Dofus' by ankama games that had a server wide 'aggression' system except in neutral areas (teleport areas and neutral cities). they implemented a system that allowed you to undertake an assignment that gave you a sheet of paper with the name of an enemy from the opposing 'faction' within 10 levels of you and you could click the scroll to track them and chase to aggress them and duel them.

Although this is 'instance fight based' and you cant run away after you have been caught in a fight. I feel taht this could be adapted to a much more efficient fun system in which you sign up to the tasks solo or in a group of people (up to 10 levels apart? depending how fast your character strength scales)of up to X amount of players and the system will find an enemy for you to track with the same amount of players with levels close to that of your group, upon finding them you could engage them and your group gains/loses exp or money based on how many casualties/kills you obtain during this meeting. obviously you need to stop people from finding a weak group and hunting them over and over so you can only gain exp from killing each player once causing players to abandon and find another group instead of going for a fight where they can only get 2 kills worth of rewards.

Hope this is helpful to you and you can adapt this as you wish to suit your game or not use it at all. just loved the system in my time playing the game and would love to paly a new game with such a system having been developed well.

Quote Originally Posted by dothetango View Post
    My brother and I, as well as a long time WoW friend are brainstorming ideas for a game that we would eventually like to propose to a company.

I won't get into details, as a lot of our ideas are very innovative, and unique, but I'll ask this question:

Would you guys be interested in a World PvP mmo, and if so, what kind of things would you like to see?

Also, if you're interested in joining us with this project, feel free to contact me so we can discuss things further.

Thanks, and I look forward to some of your responses!
    Yes OP I would, and I know a lot of other that would.