Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Chaud, shouldn't you at least buy your "unicorn" model something that can read BD?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikakissa View Post
    IPS panels are great for many things, but gaming isn't one of them. Sure, they are becoming faster and faster, but mainly IPS panels aren't for gaming.
    IPS is great for gaming (just not for competitive FPS). for MMO i would instantly take IPS panel because nothing comes close it.

can someone explain to me this "narwhel. puppy, unicorn, dolphin" thing? Why are they called that? Maybe I missed something somewhere, I have been reading about these setups of the month for a while now and finally decided to ask this question, shed some light! Also, I just picked up a P8Z68 Mobo with an i7 2600K...and love it!

Moar mini pets... Why Blizzard waste time in these stupid things?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonhead View Post
    can someone explain to me this "narwhel. puppy, unicorn, dolphin" thing? Why are they called that? Maybe I missed something somewhere, I have been reading about these setups of the month for a while now and finally decided to ask this question, shed some light! Also, I just picked up a P8Z68 Mobo with an i7 2600K...and love it!
    Used to be that the comp of the month didn't even have a "set name". Then, I think, some made a joke about having it labeled unicorn or pony.

Sorry, my memory's a bit hazy this morning. :S

---------- Post added 2012-01-23 at 09:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Belenus View Post
    Moar mini pets... Why Blizzard waste time in these stupid things?
    Players have their own likes and preferences. I, for one, love collecting mini-pets.
    Alayea - Enhance/Resto (Main) Lithala - BM Gekkani - Holy/Shadow
    Mathrie - Fury/Prot Mayae - Resto/Bal Elita - Frost/Blood
    Chrystie - Frost Draika - Combat Ioreth - Ret/Prot
    Vexbolt - Destruction Yin - WW/MW Yolis
    Urwenn

Quote Originally Posted by Alayea View Post
    Used to be that the comp of the month didn't even have a "set name". Then, I think, some made a joke about having it labeled unicorn or pony.

Sorry, my memory's a bit hazy this morning. :S

---------- Post added 2012-01-23 at 09:42 AM ----------

hey good enough for me haha, thanks!

Makes sense, putting a name to the build...I would have chosen something a little more gamer like, I know for me, when I think "Unicorn" I definitely do not think gaming..

Deleted
    Why buy crap speakers for a highend system? Doesn´t make sense.

The Razer Blackwidow is an awful keyboard.Well, let me rephrase, it's a great keyboard with terrible quality control. My wife bought me one for my birthday in May. First keyboard was DOA, replaced by newegg a few days later. Second keyboard the left control key stuck down every 10 key strokes. Replaced by newegg. Third keyboard the spacebar stuck against the right alt key. Replaced by newegg. Fourth keyboard was bent/molded incorrectly, and when placed on a desk it wobbled like a table with a broken leg. Newegg wouldn't replace, outside of the return window. Razer finally sent a replacement keyboard almost 3 weeks after having received my defective one. That keyboard was obviously refurbed, and was DOA. Sent it back, 3 weeks later I finally got another one. This one appeared to be working fine for about a month, then the LED under the 1/END key on the number pad died. This was a minor (although annoying and unaccepable for $130 keyboard) problem, so I dealt with it. I plugged my thumbdrive into the USB hub on the side for the first time, lights started to flicker, then finally went out.Razer then told me they would not longer be accepting returns, because "three keyboards for one user" was outside their policy for returns.I sold the keyboard on Craigslist as defective for $60, went back to using the Illuminated Logitech Keyboard that I had intended to replace, because after 3 years the finish was starting to wear off.My Razer Mamba has also been having intermittent issues where the mouse will only move up/down or left/right and no other direction until it's banged on the desk. The mouse wheel also rattled/squeeked out of the box.Never again will I buy their products. Poor quality control, even worse customer servce.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwood View Post
    Fair point.

Call it a matter of opinion, but it is still a better card whichever way you put it, and given this is supposed to be the best of the 4 systems and you're already spending $325 on the gpu, there's no real reason not to pay another $5 for something better and not have to worry about a rebate.

I had the 6970 from HIS and it was loud as hell, so changed it for an XFX 6970 reference blower design (the only manufacturer I could find with reference coolers that were in stock or available in the next 2 weeks) - heaven.

Might have to say, that I'm running a mini-ITX setup, so the air is getting hotter as usual inside the case, and thus when the HIS blower revs up it's annoyingly loud compared to the reference blower design, the HIS keeps it a tad cooler, but I'm still content with the temperatures I'm getting right now. The card just idles at 63-65C and goes to 79-85C under load with auto settings on the fan which comes to about 35%, with manual setting it to 45-50% area (which is still quieter compared to the HIS at whatever RPM it was), I get to sink the temps under load to about 69-75C and around 48-51C in idle, but I'm not doing that and keeping it at default auto RPM settings.

I would take a look on some DELL monitors like the U2312HM for the "narwhal"; the IPS panel and the really low in-put lag will speak for itself. Best-buy in its price category.
    Also, the ASUS monitors witn TN panels are in the low-mid category at best. Why do you recommend them?

Nice pics btw

EDIT:

IPS panels are great for many things, but gaming isn't one of them. Sure, they are becoming faster and faster, but mainly IPS panels aren't for gaming.
    You are really wrong here my friend. It was true back them, but as for today the IPS technology improved a lot. Read some tests about them. You can start with the masterpiece I mentioned above, it worth to take a look. Really.
    Last edited by Dark_Spirit; 2012-01-23 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    The U2412M has some nasty reverse ghosting and high response times, the ZR24w has lower times and is acceptable for anything that isn't high motion FPS games or for people that are super sensitive to ghosting. It also has better color at default settings.
    money.
    Except that Dell has lower input lag than most top end TN's. All those super hyper 2ms monitors are gray to gray what is a meaningless since how many games are completly gray entire time?

HP vs Dell
    Its cheaper for the same job done.
    Last edited by Sorcereria; 2012-01-23 at 08:11 PM.

That night elf artwork is phenomenal. It looks kinda like watercolor (though if it is the hair is amazing for watercolor). The detail that went into it is really nice. To me it looks better than pretty much any other trading card artwork I can think of -- looks like art made for itself, almost. I love it.

My setup is a few clicks away from this one.

i7 2600k
    16 GB of RAM
    Dual 460 GTX for SLI
    Corsair H60 Water Cooling
    P8P68 PRO Gen 3
    1 TB HD, 1 500GB HD, 1 320GB HD and 1 250GB HD

23 Inch Acer Monitor
    20 Inch Acer Monitor
    NZXT Full Tower Black with Orange Trim
    Keyboard is Razer Tarantula
    Mouse is Razer Death Adder

While I do have issues with my tarantula, I love my death adder, have had it for quite some time and have had no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Alayea View Post

Players have their own likes and preferences. I, for one, love collecting mini-pets.
    then people like you are part of the problem. 50 coins for a fucking pet? seriously? i think i have 12 from the last 3 yrs of this stupid 'holiday' If it was something more tangible i might be bothered to run around the different continents to out of the way places to click on a mob to give me either a cluster of useles =250 health fireworks or a stone to put a pilliar of light on the ground. but i DO have the lantern that lets me make my own stone of light. on a cooldwon thats far too long to be of any real fun. Just like ALL the vanity on use items. short duration terribly long cooldown. ironboot flask. 10 minutes. wait an hour. gimme a fucking break.

10+ Year Old Account
    IPS panels are great for many things, but gaming isn't one of them. Sure, they are becoming faster and faster, but mainly IPS panels aren't for gaming. Also, for gaming, getting the 2600K over 2500K is not justifiable. Not even a bit.

When it comes to SLI or Crossfire, it can actually be a very good decision depending on which manufacturer and which generation of cards one is planning on spending on. For example, in some certain price ranges, getting a Crossfire setup was clearly THE choice with AMD 6xxx series. This will probably be the case with 7xxx series too, after the whole lineup has formed itself later this year.
    Honestly, if you aren't using more than one video feed how much of a boost is going SLI in gaming?

Deleted
    STOP SUGGESTING THE i7 2600K FFS.Awweeeesome, we get hyper-threading! Oh, wait... that literally does nothing for gaming.