Common Complaint: Combat Controls

I've been thinking about one of the complaints I hear semi-regularly, that the combat controls aren't fluid enough, that they feel laggy. Any chance this has to do with the ability queuing?

I remember finding the setting almost immediately when I first started playing the game, so responsiveness was never an issue for me. For players who've only trialed, or are trialing now, were you aware of the adjustable ability queue timing in the settings?

Under Settings- Actionbars - Ability Queue: None/Short/Full. By default it's set to Short.

It's mostly for anti-spamming, but could directly affect your split-second decision making while fighting or healing.

None if you want to live on the fly, short is like a half second's early keypress. Full if your finger is off the key for the length of an ability's animation.

Even at, say, 200ms, none will be fine, and short just means you needn't spam your button to the point it breaks. I keep mine set at default (short). I don't personally know what most others play at.

I'd suggest finding a fairly easy to kill mob and testing the three to see what feels the most reliable and represents your reaction style.

I think I had my ability queue pretty high in Rift (not sure, may have been short) and I never had much of a problem, but you could also say that I adapted to its use, and specifically incorporated it into my gameplay. I also used a lot of sequenced macros so that could make a lot of difference as well.

In any case, I never had the slightest issue at all with responsiveness in Rift and I've never understood what people meant when they said it wasn't as fluid as x game.

SW:TOR has the same ability queue option, though it was actually preventing me from getting interrupts off in an emergency so I can see how it would be an issue for people if they were having something like this interfere with their gameplay in Rift. Unfortunately, SW:TOR is having an ability delay issue in general right now, and since their most recent patch all my skills feel like they're in an ability queue when its turned off. Its immensely annoying.

I turned off ability queue on the first day I played Rift. Didn't even step off the platform where you spawn before altering all the controls and options. Don't believe any savvy gamer would ever play with stock options under any circumstance.

The combat in Rift is the most fluid and comfortable I have personally played. So I do believe much of the response complaints are from those used to different animation schemes, just as in TOR. Many just get use to their Frost Mage behaving & looking a certain way.

I'd consider going to no queue if I had the latency for it.
    As it is I'm currently around 290-310ms so 500ms queuing is really only 200ms queuing for me and if I didn't have it I'd be more at the mercy of my latency.
    Doing some testing yesterday and I still get out 3-4 less GCDs per minute than a guildie who has 100ms

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    I'd consider going to no queue if I had the latency for it.
    As it is I'm currently around 290-310ms so 500ms queuing is really only 200ms queuing for me and if I didn't have it I'd be more at the mercy of my latency.
    Doing some testing yesterday and I still get out 3-4 less GCDs per minute than a guildie who has 100ms
    Have you installed Leatrix's Latency Fix? It's not an addon, just adjusts some Windows settings that affect MMO latency in general. Been using it for a few years now, and it's helped me keep my ping down below 90

10+ Year Old Account
    i've used default controls as far as movement/cam but altered the key binds. I usually hover around 40-70ms.

I am however having troubles with deciding on what to bind where and what spec to play when i want to use my controller (xpadder gotta love it)