Thread: vibroblades

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

vibroblades

so im sure this is a sort of heresy (being bored of lightsabers) but are there any cool vibroblades which light up around the edges like some techblades? (since i dont think knights can wield a techblade)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneticVigilance View Post
    so im sure this is a sort of heresy
    Given that lightsabers "feel" like wiffle bats, it's not as uncommon a thought as you think.

I think I've seen a few people using them but I don't have a character that would equip them anyways, so I haven't looked into it. :x

I think there's a few cool looking Custom ones from the Taris comm vendor (for Empire anyway) and from the Corellia comm vendor. Also the second boss from False Emperor drops at least one Artifact one with tanking stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Tychus View Post
    Given that lightsabers "feel" like wiffle bats, it's not as uncommon a thought as you think.

I think I've seen a few people using them but I don't have a character that would equip them anyways, so I haven't looked into it. :x
    I feel the same way. After playing a marauder I am pretty disappointed to how light-saber combat is done in this game. They just don't seem any different to a training saber.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwickslash View Post
    I feel the same way. After playing a marauder I am pretty disappointed to how light-saber combat is done in this game. They just don't seem any different to a training saber.
    Yeah, feel the same on my juggernaut. Some attack animations are nice and fluid but half the time it looks like my character is swinging with a baseball bat. Was personally disappointing because it was one of the things that they hyped would be very different to other games and look really cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannyl View Post
    Yeah, feel the same on my juggernaut. Some attack animations are nice and fluid but half the time it looks like my character is swinging with a baseball bat. Was personally disappointing because it was one of the things that they hyped would be very different to other games and look really cool.
    You are a Sith Juggernaunt, they aren't know for their graceful swordsmanship. Think Darth Vader. Pretty much control chaos in the form of power blows. How many ways are their really to swing a stick? Just because the stick glows doesn't make any different.

I personally like my Assassin's swings. I hate them gameplay wise because they are too long for PVP and are one of the prime displays of the ability delay/clipping problem. Favorite thing in PVP is to run up to some and kill them with Assassinate, looks like your just took their head off.

I actually like Juggernaunt animations more.

OT: All Vibroblades are effectively the same, they aren't even out long enough to see them. I wish they had made it so you showed your blade instead of your gun or always held it out like someone off of COD.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    You are a Sith Juggernaunt, they aren't know for their graceful swordsmanship. Think Darth Vader. Pretty much control chaos in the form of power blows. How many ways are their really to swing a stick? Just because the stick glows doesn't make any different.
    Really? Ever seen the final fight between kenobi and darth vader at the end of ep 3? Incredibly fluid and beautiful swordplay. I think you misunderstand exactly what I meant by a baseball bat. If you look at attacks like Vicious Slash and the final blow from Ravager, it looks I'm hitting my enemy with a blunt object, and a heavy blunt object at that, which is something lightsaber combat should never be. Not only are they very elegant and light weapons, because they disintegrate anything at the slightest touch, there is no need to swing them with such strength, as it would just be lost and meaningless.

Instead you would use light, cutting and slicing motions, which they are if you look at the combat in episodes 1-3. In 4-6 the lightsaber combat techniques were still evolving quite a bit, so there is much less grace.

because they disintegrate anything at the slightest touch
    ya, that wouldnt be OP or anything, lol

Instead you would use light, cutting and slicing motions, which they are if you look at the combat in episodes 1-3. In 4-6 the lightsaber combat techniques were still evolving quite a bit, so there is much less grace.

cool story, except this game takes place thousands of years before those movies, so perhaps people werent as fluid back then? lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rigoremortis View Post
    In lore, yes they are. In the game they obviously cannot be what they would, in reality, represent.

cool story, except this game takes place thousands of years before those movies, so perhaps people werent as fluid back then? lol
    Well the function and principle of the lightsaber hasn't between those time periods. Not to mention this is simple reality that people would have learned long before lightsabers were invented, when people were using sharpened edges of metal. Technique always follows function and that has been true for thousands of years, even in real world.

Fluidity of the combat animation of course depends on class. A Juggernaut is supposed to look like he's swinging a mallet because that's their thing--powerful attacks with lots of energy behind it. Marauders use quick strikes that disorient opponents. Assassins use acrobatics to keep their opponent off balance.

In SWTOR's era there's (I think) 7 primary lightsaber forms and most of them appear in this game as Stances. They don't seem to alter combat animations, as nice as that would be. I suppose its hard to justify making 3 different sets of animations for each stance-dependent Advanced Class to the budget team.
    Last edited by Tore; 2012-01-23 at 06:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really? Ever seen the final fight between kenobi and darth vader at the end of ep 3? Incredibly fluid and beautiful swordplay. I think you misunderstand exactly what I meant by a baseball bat. If you look at attacks like Vicious Slash and the final blow from Ravager, it looks I'm hitting my enemy with a blunt object, and a heavy blunt object at that, which is something lightsaber combat should never be. Not only are they very elegant and light weapons, because they disintegrate anything at the slightest touch, there is no need to swing them with such strength, as it would just be lost and meaningless.

You can't exactly compare a live action scene to a video game, games have technical limitations. You will never get what you want in a hotkey based game without sacfricing playablility. Lightsabers may be light but swings still observe the lay of physics. Strong blows are simply hard to block and something tells me the sabers in SWTOR don't exact disintegrate anything in one hit. Canonically, there are a bunch of lightsabers out there, anything that might get hit with a saber is reinforced. They aren't the one hit wonders your see in the movie.

But the Star Wars nerd wants to scream at your last statement. I'm not sure what you mean by: if you look at the combat in episodes 1-3. In 4-6 the lightsaber combat techniques were still evolving quite a bit, so there is much less grace. Because at one point we are speaking in terms of the SWs universe but then its seems you are speaking in terms of real life movie production. Combat techniques wouldn't suddenly devolve in 4-6. In 4-6 they are using different fighting techniques. There are tons of saber combat techniques out there:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber_combat. The Juggernaunt uses a very heavy headed one which is why it looks like he is swinging a baseball bat. There is literally a science behind lightsaber combat and techniques and it applies to anywhere you see a saber, in movies and in games.

Actually, if you consider in terms of lore that this is one of the heights of Jedi/Sith power, lightsaber combat should be even more elegant and fluid. Consider in movies 1-3 the Jedi were dying off and Sith just barely existing, so by that time knowledge was being diminished and lost of the varying combat forms (for example, Windu's whole 7th form of Juyo/Vaapad was a rediscovery of an old old style pretty much), and by 4-6 pretty much all knowledge has been lost which is why Luke's battles with Vader aren't on par with 1-3 ones that are more fancy, as well as Obi Wan and Vader's duel since they were both old/stiff.

Or of course, the more realistic reason is that you couldn't shoot all the fancy scenes in 4-6 with the tech available back then, which is why all the fancy new tech in 1-3 makes it look like the whole galaxy dumbed down after the Empire seized power.

Personally I think they should've channeled Malgus more than Vader in the Jugg's animations, Malgus had a decent amount of fluidity in his fight scenes along with the brute strength a Jugg has. Vader, being the machine man, can never match that and thus that's why he adapted his style for more punishing blows against other opponents as well as a defense that protected his chest computer, since strength still helps in lightsaber combat in being able to physically overwhelm your opponents.
    Last edited by Shinryu; 2012-01-23 at 06:13 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr View Post
    Fluidity of the combat animation of course depends on class. A Juggernaut is supposed to look like he's swinging a mallet because that's their thing--powerful attacks with lots of energy behind it. Marauders use quick strikes that disorient opponents. Assassins use acrobatics to keep their opponent off balance.
    That was precisely my point, you would never swing a lightsaber with strength, the way you would if you were handling an office chair. The style of the juggernaut, imo comes out more in their other abilities, such as smash, force charge, etc. They do use strength more than others, but it should be conveyed more as body strength and their maneuvers, instead of their combat swings.

Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr View Post
    In SWTOR's era there's (I think) 7 primary lightsaber forms and most of them appear in this game as Stances. They don't seem to alter combat animations, as nice as that would be. I suppose its hard to justify making 3 different sets of animations for each stance-dependent Advanced Class to the budget team.
    That's true. I had hoped for something very similar. Many of the stances are dependent on the exact AC though, or even spec. Tanks use Soresu Form, while DPS use Shien Form. If the forms were more strict and limited to your spec and AC it would possibly be less work to create separate animations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except that most of these combat techniques have been around since before The Jedi Civil War.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

To me the strength behind the lightsaber swings of a Juggernaut comes across as pure-offense versus other lightsaber users thing.

Only a lightsaber can defend against a lightsaber (well, and some cortosis stuff). A Juggernaut's method of breaking that defense is to just smash through it with heavy swings. There's other ways to break that defense but the Juggernaut chooses brute force.

ok, i was just trying to be a smartass, but since you're taking to an extremely literal sense.......its a video game you buffoons, lol of COURSE its going to have limitations to its fluidity and appearance of combat, its an mmorpg in its infancy, lol these things will change over time, chill. and you CANNOT compare a video games fighting scenes to a movie, EVER. real world filming, and video game physics arent nearly the same, lol maybe in 50 years we'll have games that look as good as movies, but comeon people, quit expecting too much, you people are unreal its hilarious to me, rofl.

"why cant my game look like real life? i mean, seriously! i want it to be fluid as how i imagined it inside my head since lore says so, and the movies made me believe it!"now im not gonna say thats the stupidest argument for a video game ive ever heard in my entire life, as i dont wanna get banned, so im just gonna say.....really read what im typing here, and i hope you look back at yourself and see how ridiculous all of your arguments are that you are making and how they could just not pertain to video games.

the reason the game isnt as fluid as the movies is the same reason there isnt a lightsaber in real life......its just not possible yet, rofl,

Chill out please. Don't resort to name calling. ~Rag
    Last edited by Ragnarocket; 2012-01-23 at 03:54 PM.

Deleted
    As to the forms thing, I was expecting my character to stand differently / swing is blade differently. I am dissapoint. (Also, Bioware : why no Makashi ??? :'( )

I had a vibroblade for a while though, but I switched back to an orange lightsaber. Just looks better to me.

How many ways are their really to swing a stick? Just because the stick glows doesn't make any different.
    Exactly the issue, it's not a stick. At least on jedi sentinel half the animations are clearly captured from some form of stick fighting which is just wrong.
    Also, compare the sound from Vicious Slash to Assault. When you chain slashes you just wonder why your stick is glowing...

10+ Year Old Account
    well if you are looking for a ''glowing stickøø you can get one that looks like the sith warblade sith warriors from HK 47 in false emperor hardmode

Yeah the animations for vibroblades/staffs/lightsabers are linked to the ability rather than the weapon, hence sometimes when Khem Val or Vector uses an ability their weapon magically turns into a lightsaber (just like it does with your training saber when you use one of the moves you start out with, can't remember the name...)