Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    i'd recommend steelseries 7g or 6gv2 keyboards; I've been using it for some years now and it's build quality, responsiveness and most of all durability are excellent. I think I've spilled coffee on it twice already, and all you have to do is wash the keyboard and then it continues to work as if nothing has happened. I've been using logitech g15 before that and I can't remember any real advantage over the mechanical steelseries - lcd display is, lets be honest, useless, programmable keys can be replaced with software like AutoHotKey and my biggest claim is the product's quality which not to say the least is crap. If you're an avid spammer of jump button in wow or other mmo's, expect your spacebar button broken in 2 years or so

The 7g is WAY over the $100 limit, haha. Also, it is way too long, as this will be in my lap, at least for the next few months. Thr 6gv2 is better, but it lacks the two things I sort of want, backlighting and media keys. The backlighting isn't a big deal, but I hate having lights on (odd way to put it). However, I loved and used the media keys a loooot on my last keyboard, so those are more of a dealbreaker. If it had ONE of those 2 things, I would consider it.

I might be semi-sold on the X4 now. My one complaint is that I would prefer that the media keys were on the right, but I don't care that much. I was sort of hoping for a different lighting color than red as well, but minor aesthetics don't matter much to me. I would rather have a better keyboard than piss money on blue/green lights, haha. Thanks for the input, all, and I'll mull it over a little more tomorrow morning.

---------- Post added 2012-01-23 at 08:48 AM ----------

Reading a review on the X4, it was mentioned that the media keys only work on WMP. Is this true? As a Zune user, this is a big deal, IMO.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have to agree with Fuzzykins:
    The MS Sidewinder X4 is probably one of the best non-mechanical keyboards and it's fairly cheap compared to other gaming keyboards.

If you do not need any special keys and want a cheap, but durable keyboard, than i can recommend Cherry G83. Basic Layout/design, price is about $20-25 and they last forever. My first one was replaced after about 9 years of heavy use, and not because it broke, but it got really ugly over time (white color).
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

I purchased a keyboard from http://www.daskeyboard.com/ a couple weeks ago.

I absolutely LOVE this keyboard. It's rock solid and I should know dropping the thing twice.
    They only make two items, a clicky mechanical keyboard and a more silent mechanical keyboard and they have educational pricing to boot.
    I definitely go with these guys if you got the cash to spend.

I would get a stellseries merc keyboard. i have one and the pad on the left side of it is AWESOME.
    Personal Rig: AMD FX-8350 / Gigabyte Windforce G1-GAMING GTX 980 / 8-GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600Mhz / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w PSU / Corsair Carbide Air 540 / NZXT Kraken x60

Quote Originally Posted by EverFX View Post
    I purchased a keyboard from http://www.daskeyboard.com/ a couple weeks ago.

I absolutely LOVE this keyboard. It's rock solid and I should know dropping the thing twice.
    They only make two items, a clicky mechanical keyboard and a more silent mechanical keyboard and they have educational pricing to boot.
    I definitely go with these guys if you got the cash to spend.
    Those things are pretty much everything I DON'T want. They're expensive as hell, and they have neither backlighting nor media keys. That's something I'd maybe spend extra the extra money on next time I need a new keyboard, when I've replaced some stuff in my computer/built a new one.

---------- Post added 2012-01-23 at 07:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dezrow View Post
    I would get a stellseries merc keyboard. i have one and the pad on the left side of it is AWESOME.
    That actually DOES look pretty cool. I'm still thinking I'll go sideWinder this time around, then maybe get another keyboard in May (my birthday), and then I'll perhaps look into that again. I like the section on the left that's essentially built for WoW, though I kind of wish it was detachable. Right now, I'm not playing WoW, so it'd just be extra bulk that woudl get in the way. But when MoP gets announced and I have my birthday, I'll perhaps get this one spcifically for WoW, haha.

The only non-mechanical I could ever recommend in good faith would be the sidewinder X4. It really was a decent piece of hardware.

I will order the X4 tonight. Thanks to everyone for the input. I will try to give an update when I get it.

So I got the SideWinder last night. It was to come in today, but I wasn't putting up with that. They mailed it UPS, then gave it to the local post office, for some retarded reason. Since it was in-town, I had my mom call to see if I could just pick it up, and she went and got it (I was in class until 4 P.M. and the only allow it until 4 P.M. so I couldn't go).

Thus far, it's still taking a little getting used to. It's a bit louder and softer than the other keyboard, but neither thing is an issue. I kind of like the sound and feel, actually. The macro keys on the left are a LITTLE bothersome, just because I keep hitting S6 when I want Ctrl. I'm not using the lighting, just because my T.V. is bright enough, though it looks kind of nice--color options would be neat (part of what I liked with the G510). All told, good call.

I'm noticing one semi-problem, though. I'm using the S# keys to launch things. S1 is my broswer, S2 is my music, and S3 is my emulator. The broswer's the main thing. I noticed, though, that when I hit it, the browser opens UNDER my other programs. On the other keyboard, the browser came to the forefront. If there a way to alter this?

didnt read all the posts, dont waste your money on logitech keyboards... rubber domes suck and are over priced for what you are actually getting. If you are going to spend money on a keyboard then get a mechanical. Most common mechanicals are Razer blackwidow, Ducky, or Das keyboards, also go for either cherry blues (Clicky) or cherry browns (not clicky). Mechanical > Logitech any and every day of the week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I have the G15 it's nice and large I am slowly becoming a fan of the apple keyboards though as I didn't bring my desktop with me to school this semester and am on my 15.4 inch Macbook Pro. I have large hands though so thats generally why I prefer the larger board but I do like how the buttons on the macboard are at responding when I hit more than one key it usually only hits the key I was wanting to hit.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I was looking for a new keyboard myself, I was looking at the Razer BlackWidow, but I read that alot of people had problems with keys not working and that you could not push up and left arrow at the same time. Thats where I decided to go for something else.

I searched around and talked to some people that used mechanicals myself, and figured that it was either DasKeyboard or Filco, I went for Filco Majestouch 2 since I could get that with a Swedish layout, as I'm from Norway we use the same layout

It's just simply said, GREAT! It's heavy, so it keeps in place, the buttons are a delight to press down. I was starting to feel my fingers getting tired on my old Logitech K100 and Sidewinder (the bigger one), nothing after 6 months of using this new. Cost a arm and half a toe, but it's worth it. So if you can afford it both in cash and don't care for macro/media keys then get one. Sound is something you'll eventually get used to also, but friends might hate on you if you type alot while on skype with em

Worth to note I do have CherryBlue switches.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilfrier View Post
    So I got the SideWinder last night. It was to come in today, but I wasn't putting up with that. They mailed it UPS, then gave it to the local post office, for some retarded reason. Since it was in-town, I had my mom call to see if I could just pick it up, and she went and got it (I was in class until 4 P.M. and the only allow it until 4 P.M. so I couldn't go).

Thus far, it's still taking a little getting used to. It's a bit louder and softer than the other keyboard, but neither thing is an issue. I kind of like the sound and feel, actually. The macro keys on the left are a LITTLE bothersome, just because I keep hitting S6 when I want Ctrl. I'm not using the lighting, just because my T.V. is bright enough, though it looks kind of nice--color options would be neat (part of what I liked with the G510). All told, good call.

I'm noticing one semi-problem, though. I'm using the S# keys to launch things. S1 is my broswer, S2 is my music, and S3 is my emulator. The broswer's the main thing. I noticed, though, that when I hit it, the browser opens UNDER my other programs. On the other keyboard, the browser came to the forefront. If there a way to alter this?
    Had the same issue with the widow. You will adjust in a day or 2.
    The only issue i'd have with the x4 is that the escape key is kinda tiny and it does not fulfill my ragequitting needs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another recommendation for the Sidewinder X4. I didn't know what I was missing until I got it, truly a solid piece of equipment for a reasonable price.

Add me on LoL: jries
    Add me on XBL: jries1

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Had the same issue with the widow. You will adjust in a day or 2.
    The only issue i'd have with the x4 is that the escape key is kinda tiny and it does not fulfill my ragequitting needs.
    It's not a matter of adjusting. The button uniformity on the blackwidow is pretty awful by comparison to better mechanicals. I don't mind it on their 80 dollar unlit version, because you get what you pay for roughly, but the LED backlit version is basically just open-season scamming of gamers (who are guilty themselves of being some of the least informed, worst consumers lol).