Poll: Old school vs New

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Old school RTS vs New style RTS

Old school

Traditional RTS with resource mannagement,base building,micro&macro like SC1&2,WC.

New

No macro,basebuilding. Focus on battle only.

What style you like more? For me I hate new style of RTS. I think it gets rid of the most important part of RTS and doesn't reward mechanical skill.

10+ Year Old Account
    The battle focused "RTS", like DoW2, aren't RTS at all. They're much closer to the tactics (Commandos, X-COM battlescape) genre, only real-time.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidgazer View Post
    The battle focused "RTS", like DoW2, aren't RTS at all. They're much closer to the tactics (Commandos, X-COM battlescape) genre, only real-time.
    but most people call RTT game RTS all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    but most people call RTT game RTS all the time.
    People call DotA a RTS too, doesn't mean they are right.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by General Vezax View Post
    People call DotA a RTS too, doesn't mean they are right.
    I hear "action strategy" thrown around a lot.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

I'm definately a fan of the good old RTS-style. I started playing age of empires 2 13 years ago, and I still play it, and no, it's not nostalgia, it's just a god damn solid game with a huge entertainment-factor. Another game I still play is warcraft 3 which despite being totally different in graphics and plot, still have the same core-elements.

I tried playing starcraft 2, but going online against others almost made me puke. Wtf is the deal with rushing with your main base as terran anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by kenthovind View Post
    We were created by the biblical God.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenthovind View Post
    There's as much evidence for Santa as for darwinian evolution.
    The irony

10+ Year Old Account
    Mix of both.

I liked DoW2's singleplayer but didn't enjoy the multiplayer of it.
    I disliked DoW1's singleplayer (Mass up army > Steamroll > win) but liked the multiplayer.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Mix of both.

I liked DoW2's singleplayer but didn't enjoy the multiplayer of it.
    I disliked DoW1's singleplayer (Mass up army > Steamroll > win) but liked the multiplayer.
    I'm the complete opposite pretty much; I hated DoW2 in general, and I loved DoW1 in general; both Multiplayer and Singleplayer.

Deleted
    i dont really like any RTS games i have played. i loved playing the old AOE games and Warcraft 3, and i still play them a bit. but i have never been able to get into starcraft 2 or anything, its too fast paced for me i just dont enjoy it.

---------- Post added 2012-01-23 at 03:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Contego View Post
    I'm definately a fan of the good old RTS-style. I started playing age of empires 2 13 years ago, and I still play it, and no, it's not nostalgia, it's just a god damn solid game with a huge entertainment-factor. Another game I still play is warcraft 3 which despite being totally different in graphics and plot, still have the same core-elements.

I tried playing starcraft 2, but going online against others almost made me puke. Wtf is the deal with rushing with your main base as terran anyway?
    yeah AOE is best rts game ever :P just something good about it and i still play it occasionally, but i lost my disk and it wont let me use map creator without a disk

Your "new" isn't exactly new. RTT games have been around a long time (I recall a rather old game called Myth or somesuch that fits the bill). They might be receiving a bit more focus these days because they get to the action quicker, which is apparently something today's gamers look for.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

"Old School" FTW. Age of Empires III is an old RTS, but it's still a pretty good one. Battle of Middle Earth was also pretty good. SC2 is a little too fastpaced for my taste, everything feels like a rush really, and it has always bugged me that it isn't obvious and easy to understand which units are good aganist which units.

i prefer a mix of both styles as each one provides it's own set of advantages. as a huge fan of AoE 2 (and rise of nations), i loved having to build up an empire / base. it just feels more epic. however it can get tedious depending on the game and a bit frustrating for people who just want to build an army and go smash things without worrying about tech trees or whether you have the correct building.

AoE1&2, C&C, SC1. All great old RTS games.
    Now, I don't quite like SC2, and never played it. Can anyone tell me if SC2 requires micro and macro management aswell like SC1? Or is it just a completely different mechanic?
    Last I heard, koreans still play a lot of SC1, but slowly following the trend and moving on to newer games.
    l'alurl gol zhah elghinyrr gol.

Starcraft II seems similar to it's predecessor, although a less casual player might have a different viewpoint.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can I have some examples of this "new school"

Old school seems to be the only one i'm familiar with

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azalu View Post
    Can I have some examples of this "new school"

Old school seems to be the only one i'm familiar with
    Command & Conquer 4 (Completely trash, yet somehow people still bought it at steam sale and gained more sale than C&C3)
    Dawn of War 2
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Dupin View Post
    AoE1&2, C&C, SC1. All great old RTS games.
    Now, I don't quite like SC2, and never played it. Can anyone tell me if SC2 requires micro and macro management aswell like SC1? Or is it just a completely different mechanic?
    Last I heard, koreans still play a lot of SC1, but slowly following the trend and moving on to newer games.
    SC2 is similar to SC1. It's super fast paced RTS and reward mechanical skill(micro,macro,multitask). SC2's mechanic is a bit easier though because SC1's UI is pretty outdated. Many SC1 pros still play SC1 but some has switched and more will come.

---------- Post added 2012-01-24 at 10:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Contego View Post

Well, Starcraft is a bit hardcore. It's much faster than WC3. You have to do everything fast. I like it more than WC3 though. If you have better mechanic in SC then you can completely dominate your opponent in SC but you can not do that to the same extent in WC3. Downside is it turns many players away.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2012-01-24 at 10:43 AM.

A pretty good newer-style one that people seem to forget about is Star Wars: Empire at War. That game was great while it lasted!

I am going for the old school(although both styles are around for about the same time)
    The reason I picked old school is the fact that I love 2 play SC2. It's a shame the C&C series and the AoE series turned into crap.