Finally upgrading my Razor Reclusa KB...but to what?

I've had this keyboard
    HTML Code:
    http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Reclusa-Gaming-Keyboard-Black/dp/B000MR1XWK/ref=tag_stp_s2f_edpp_gaming15rd
    for quite a while now (almost 5 years) and it has been quite an adventure. The basic UI it came with was perfect (as I don't want to spend hours and hours trying to figure out how to open my media player with 1 button). Leading me to my basic and very important need for a new gaming keyboard.

My new keyboard will need to have media controls...that open things besides Windows Media Player (Ituns, Spotify, etc). I despise WMP and often click to use my music without a thought. It's convenient and a luxury I no longer choose to live without. I don't care whether the KB is mechanical or not as long as the keys aren't squished together, raised to ridiculous "ergonomic" heights, or covered in a rubber that will fade in a few months.

My reclusa has just one button that the letter has faded from in it's 4 years of use, I think that's pretty awesome when world of warcraft is basically just spamming one button for hours at a time.

I would like my new KB to have macro keys besides the media panel (which I'm assuming all gaming KBs come with today) and as user-friendly as possible. I looked up the BlackWidow linked as the "Unicorn" KB on MMO's Setup of the Month and found that quite a few people are experiencing issues with keys becoming stuck in some way or another or just failing to work at all...something like 8-9%. I don't want to play the lottery when I'm spending this much money on a luxury item. The "Narwhal" keyboard G110 seemed fantastic until I realized the keys are TINY, smaller than my laptops keyboard. This is just unacceptable.

So all-in-all guys (and gals), I am looking for your kind help. If you've got the perfect KB (or maybe have owned one in the past) that meets my needs, please post its name/model! Very much appreciated

Req. Again:
    1) Keys that won't fade
    2) Keys the standard (or close to) size
    3) Media controls (for things besides WMP)
    4) Easily programmable macro keys
    5) Backlit (Could be red, white, and blue as long as it lights up with some form of lighting)
    6) Not required but would be nice, headphone jack that does not cut out any sound

I'm using the G110 atm and love it, but mine is getting old. It measures almost 20" across including the macro keys. Are you sure the keys are tiny?
    I'm considering getting the Corsair Vengeance K90 when newegg has it in stock.

K90 seems very nice but so expensive. =x

You mean the keys don't look smaller to you than normal KBs? :O

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I've been using both the G11 and G19 for a lengthy period of time. (Gave away my G11 a year ago, though). Both have been absolutely excellent on all the prerequisites you raise as to which qualities you are looking for in a keyboard, especially the G19. I would recommend it. It has easily programmable macro keys, a lovely keyboard layout, the buttons are as good as new even after hundreds of thousands of keypresses, the backlightning is also configurable in colour. It has a screen and volume controls as well as a on/off switch for your Windows key if that is your OS of choice.

The only drawback I can think of is the fact that the keys are a bit 'tall' so it takes a tad more effort to press them down compared to some other keyboards. It has never been a negative thing for me, though. I do not even notice it when playing.

I won't be swapping out mine for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinoa View Post
    Personally I've been using both the G11 and G19 for a lengthy period of time. (Gave away my G11 a year ago, though). Both have been absolutely excellent on all the prerequisites you raise as to which qualities you are looking for in a keyboard, especially the G19. I would recommend it. It has easily programmable macro keys, a lovely keyboard layout, the buttons are as good as new even after hundreds of thousands of keypresses, the backlightning is also configurable in colour. It has a screen and volume controls as well as a on/off switch for your Windows key if that is your OS of choice.

The only drawback I can think of is the fact that the keys are a bit 'tall' so it takes a tad more effort to press them down compared to some other keyboards. It has never been a negative thing for me, though. I do not even notice it when playing.

I won't be swapping out mine for a long time.

Is the G510 essentially the same thing as the G19 but with a lesser screen? I really don't think I have room for a screen to pop up so high.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naturae View Post
    K90 seems very nice but so expensive. =x

You mean the keys don't look smaller to you than normal KBs? :O
    Unless you go into the mini-keyboard section, all keyboards have the same button size.

And for the K90:
    It is so expensive, because it has mechanical key switches and not rubber domes. I had it in my hand, and i have to say it is of very fine quality. But sadly it uses the Cherry MX red switches, which are way to soft for me.

For more information look here.
    In compressed form: Mechanical keyboards
    - are more durable (your key press doesn't wear out)
    - are more precise
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Currently using the Microsoft Sidewider x4, and absolutely loving it. It's one of the cheapest on the market, but still works perfectly. I've been using mine for a few months now, and the keys show no sign of wear whatsoever. It has great backlighting, and the keys are the perfect height for me. It has media keys like volume, skip, pause/play, and mute. It also has six programmable macro keys, which you could easily use to open programs. I personally use them as shortcuts to sites I often visit.
    Oh, and if you dislike WMP, I recommend installing MPC (Media Player Classic) instead. It's old, but it works better than any other media player I've used before, and has just as many features.

Deleted
    logitech is the way to go. i own g15 for ~3 years now, not a single key faded. comes to think about it theres not even one thing i can complain about, simply perfect keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by roztworek View Post
    logitech is the way to go. i own g15 for ~3 years now, not a single key faded. comes to think about it theres not even one thing i can complain about, simply perfect keyboard
    I don't have $200 to waste on a keyboard. From what people have been telling me, the difference from what that can do compared to other products is quite small.

Sidewinder x6. The volume wheels arent exectly fast to respond but nothing other then a Reciever/DAC/AMP is nowadays anyways. Unless you're going mechanical, that will suffice.
    By the way, may I ask, why do you need the backlighting?

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Sidewinder x6. The volume wheels arent exectly fast to respond but nothing other then a Reciever/DAC/AMP is nowadays anyways. Unless you're going mechanical, that will suffice.
    By the way, may I ask, why do you need the backlighting?
    Moodlighting. Also helps when I'm un-sober. I never really use my kB in the daytime or with lights on.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say my Microsoft Sidewinder x4 fits all the requirements.
    Plenty of easy to access media keys, an excellent and easy to use driver system, etc.
    And it's cheaper than a lot of keyboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    I'd say my Microsoft Sidewinder x4 fits all the requirements.
    Plenty of easy to access media keys, an excellent and easy to use driver system, etc.
    And it's cheaper than a lot of keyboards.
    I agree, the Microsoft Sidewinder x4 is very good, at a somewhat low price of $45.

Pros:
    - The keyboard has an amazing blood red back light and looks really good in the dark. You can choose from three different lighting settings as well as turn it off.
    - There are six macro keys and you can program them to any key combination you want using either the included Microsoft Intellitype software or by pressing the record button for on-the-fly programming. There are also three different profiles to separately store the macros for the buttons allowing for 6x3 = 18 different macros.
    - Keys feel good to type on and keyboard can be inclined using latches on the back.
    - Anti-Ghosting technology. I haven't tested pressing 26 keys at once (cause I only have ten fingers lol) but this keyboard certainly lives up to its promise of registering 10+ keys at once.

Cons:
    - Hand rest cannot be removed but I have no problem with that. It actually feels comfortable to both game as well as type on.
    - Media keys only work for Windows Media Player which is what I primarily use. This may annoy those who rely on a different default media player.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-JQD-00001-SideWinder-X4-Keyboard/dp/B002ZV51DI/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by amythompson172 View Post
    I agree, the Microsoft Sidewinder x4 is very good, at a somewhat low price of $45.

Pros:
    - The keyboard has an amazing blood red back light and looks really good in the dark. You can choose from three different lighting settings as well as turn it off.
    - There are six macro keys and you can program them to any key combination you want using either the included Microsoft Intellitype software or by pressing the record button for on-the-fly programming. There are also three different profiles to separately store the macros for the buttons allowing for 6x3 = 18 different macros.
    - Keys feel good to type on and keyboard can be inclined using latches on the back.
    - Anti-Ghosting technology. I haven't tested pressing 26 keys at once (cause I only have ten fingers lol) but this keyboard certainly lives up to its promise of registering 10+ keys at once.

Cons:
    - Hand rest cannot be removed but I have no problem with that. It actually feels comfortable to both game as well as type on.
    - Media keys only work for Windows Media Player which is what I primarily use. This may annoy those who rely on a different default media player.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-JQD-00001-SideWinder-X4-Keyboard/dp/B002ZV51DI/
    Works for iTunes as well.