Deleted

What about the market in GW2?

Okay so we know for sure that there will be an auction house in GW2 and that it actually spans over several different servers(!) Thus there will be a huge player controlled market.

I am very happy about this decision by Anet since I personally think that having a dynamic, player controlled game economy is one of the features that makes an MMO truly come alive and feel like a real world!

The problem I see is; what the h*ll are people going to trade? The reasons for why I ask this question are the following:

1. There will be pretty much no gear progression in GW 2 except from improving the visual style of your gear.

I see this as a very impairing feature for the games market. For example; who would want to farm gold for hours in order to buy reagents for crafting an item that does not give you a reasonable amount of "joy" by having your stats upgraded, but instead just improves your helmet's looks so that it looks cooler?Don't get me wrong on this though, I can see that there is an incentive to go to the auction house to get stuff for your character, it is just that I don't see visual improvements as a strong incentive to buy stuff at the AH. Thus I think the market will be much less interesting and that it will not become the awesome feature it is supposed to be.

2. There is no competition for reagents or loot.

Anet has stated that mineralnodes, herbs etc. will not be forfeited once looted by a player so that everyone can loot it at least once for themselves. This also applies to loot, if you participate in killing a boss you will get your own personal loot and not compete for the loot with the rest of players.

All this leads to one thing: There will be a massive supply of loot and reagents which raises the question wheter there will be a demand high enough to meet this supply?

Of course it is a smart move to take away loot and reagent competition beacuse it is annoying when someone else steals your mineral node but I think the tradeoff is further impairment of the games economy. I have actually started to believe that it is these things we see as "annoying", such as your loot never dropping or mineral nodes constantly being farmed out is what makes these kind of interactive worlds fun.

So what do you guys think? Will there be a sprawling market in GW2 or will it be flawed and not contribute very much to the game experience?

10+ Year Old Account
    1. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Definitely-NO!

Rare drops and crafting materials will be the main commodity on the GW2 Market Place/Auction House most likely. Things you can get from playing, but take time to acquire and are either based on luck or menial tasks.

2. Material nodes are always farm-able in MMOs. Removing that ability to ninja nodes won't diminish crafting material value. People who use the auction house for mats are usually doing so for convenience, or if they don't have the correct gathering profession (Which won't be an issue in GW2, everyone can gather from any node.)

People will still buy materials for crafting from the auction house/market place because they don't want to spend the time getting the materials themselves.

Here is an article on crafting. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crafting

I think the in game economy will be fine.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by starcus View Post
    This doesn't change anything really. All it means is that the individual resource gathering rate will be unaffected by the amount of players in the area.

While the economy is hardly going to be as good as the Eve Online one, I do like the addition of Buy and Sell orders.

Just because pieces of armor are a stat boost does not mean that we get some sort of "joy" from that piece of armor or weapon. Do you know how many times in WoW that ive looked at the shaman teir and said "Well thats a load of crap, why cant i get what that pally is wearing it looks 10 times better"

Selling Cool looking weapons and armor if they are sellable cuz i raid certain items are bop will give just as much "joy" to people who care about looks.

Okay so we know for sure that there will be an auction house in GW2 and that it actually spans over several different servers(!) Thus there will be a huge player controlled market.

I am very happy about this decision by Anet since I personally think that having a dynamic, player controlled game economy is one of the features that makes an MMO truly come alive and feel like a real world!

The problem I see is; what the h*ll are people going to trade? The reasons for why I ask this question are the following:

1. There will be pretty much no gear progression in GW 2 except from improving the visual style of your gear.

I see this as a very impairing feature for the games market. For example; who would want to farm gold for hours in order to buy reagents for crafting an item that does not give you a reasonable amount of "joy" by having your stats upgraded, but instead just improves your helmet's looks so that it looks cooler?Don't get me wrong on this though, I can see that there is an incentive to go to the auction house to get stuff for your character, it is just that I don't see visual improvements as a strong incentive to buy stuff at the AH. Thus I think the market will be much less interesting and that it will not become the awesome feature it is supposed to be.

Anet has stated that mineralnodes, herbs etc. will not be forfeited once looted by a player so that everyone can loot it at least once for themselves. This also applies to loot, if you participate in killing a boss you will get your own personal loot and not compete for the loot with the rest of players.

All this leads to one thing: There will be a massive supply of loot and reagents which raises the question wheter there will be a demand high enough to meet this supply?

Of course it is a smart move to take away loot and reagent competition beacuse it is annoying when someone else steals your mineral node but I think the tradeoff is further impairment of the games economy. I have actually started to believe that it is these things we see as "annoying", such as your loot never dropping or mineral nodes constantly being farmed out is what makes these kind of interactive worlds fun.

So what do you guys think? Will there be a sprawling market in GW2 or will it be flawed and not contribute very much to the game experience?
    There will be pretty much no gear progression in GW 2 except from improving the visual style of your gear.

I have heard that the first part of this sentence is incorrect. Although the itemlvl of items will stop at one point, you will still be able to find more and more powerful equipment. If these can be sold on auction, I do not know.

There is no competition for reagents or loot.

I don't even know why I am quoting this one, I'm not good with economics. There can still be high demand, to meet the high supply, regardless of competition for reagents. Wouldn't it only be good with less monopoly for the market? What am I talking about? I am confusing myself.

Visual improvements are some of the most costly and hotly traded items in MMOs.

A costume chest piece in Rift can sell for 2x the price of a raid quality purple with stats. Costume pieces in Runes of Magic sell for real world dollars in the hundreds. Skins in EQ2 are also hotly desired. Aion, PWI, Warcraft... yea. People like to look good.

Players also have to put more effort into obtaining these visual styles more so than stat gear. The latter is often gained by course.

Yeah, I don't think there will be any problem there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Visual improvements are some of the most costly sand hotly traded items in MMOs.

A costume chest piece in Rift can sell for 2x the price of a raid quality purple with stats. Costume pieces in Runes of Magic sell for real world dollars in the hundreds. Skins in EQ2 are also hotly desired. Aion, PWI, Warcraft... yea. People like to look good.
    Absolutely.

WTS Teebu's Blazing Longsword, 100k gold. WTS Spectral Tiger loot card, $1000. People are willing to pay dearly for cosmetic/vanity items in a game that's all about stat inflation and gear progression, so undoubtedly they'll pay for them in a game where cosmetic customization is one of the selling points.

Deleted
    Nice comments from all of you, I hope you are all right and that I am wrong! Can't wait for open beta and game release to find out the answers.

To Niku: Maybe I have gotten the gear progression thingie all wrong? Feel free to correct me if that is the case.

Nice comments from all of you, I hope you are all right and that I am wrong! Can't wait for open beta and game release to find out the answers.

To Niku: Maybe I have gotten the gear progression thingie all wrong? Feel free to correct me if that is the case.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...se-assumptions
    I think number 11, I hope I didn't misunderstand it. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Visual improvements are some of the most costly and hotly traded items in MMOs.

Players also have to put more effort into obtaining these visual styles more so than stat gear. The latter is often gained by course.
    I think that goes for reality a lot as well! People want to look good more then they care about the warmth that the clothes offer. They want to wear difficult to obtain, high priced and famous brands because it will make them stand out... and look awesome. Or something along those lines!
    Last edited by Niku; 2012-01-23 at 09:16 PM.

Deleted
    Well, GW1 still has a pretty active trade. And it has ''no gear progression except from improving the visual style of your gear'' for over six years now. After playing WoW for a few years it might seem strange at first to put so much effort in gear that just looks better. But in GW that's the only way (at max level) to improve your gear and hence it becomes very natural and gives the same satisfaction imo to put effort in obtaining beautiful gear.
    There's also mini pets, consets, runs, food, mats and what not to be traded. (These are items from GW1 and might not exist in GW2, but one can imagine other items than gear to be traded in GW2)
    Last edited by mmoc3157d46ea6; 2012-01-23 at 09:22 PM.

Most of the stuff that gets sold on the AH in WoW are consumables and raw mats (gems, enchants, ore, etc.) not epics. Having too much raw mats is a fairly simple problem, turn down the respawn rate.

Deleted
    Uhm.. Armour and weapon upgrades (enchants)? There will be multiple ways to modify one's gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niku View Post
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...se-assumptions
    I think number 11, I hope I didn't misunderstand it. ^_^

I think that goes for reality a lot as well! People want to look good more then they care about the warmth that the clothes offer. They want to wear difficult to obtain, high priced and famous brands because it will make them stand out... and look awesome. Or something along those lines!
    idk about you but i prefer to NOT freeze my balls off lol, so i tend to dress in what ever the hell is warmest and not care about my appearance if it's cold out... but if that's not the case then you're right xD

And in games, i don't care 1 bit how good the stats are if the armor looks bad, i'd rather wear sub par gear that looks sexah then to wear some stupid armor set... *cough druid genesis cough*
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Lets not forget that people spend 10 euro or even more on skins to their character in league of legends.
    People care about their character looks, simple, even thou its different skin that only 5% others bought it still feels "special"
    when you can customize your entire set and how it will look, people will put alot of effort and time into make their character look unique and special.

like ghost said, the economic points you bring up were basicly the status quo in GW1 for its entire life and there is still an in game player economy. Yes the gold curancy is all but worthless but there are well established prices for other commodity items. Just because everybody CAN go out and farm a stack of material X does not mean everybody is WILLING to do so. presumeably there will be rare drops and other items that one could go get themselves if they spent enough time but many would prefer to just buy off someone that has it. As long as there are any items that require either a time, luck, or skill investment to obtain that can be traded there will be people wanting to trade for items that require something they lack.

Who is John Galt?