Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Product placement in Blizzard Games (Titan)

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01...ithin-their-n/

When details of Blizzard's upcoming casual MMO, code-named Titan, are incredibly scarce due to the developer's ironclad secrecy, it falls to enterprising fans to ferret out any scraps of information that may exist. One such player on the NeoGAF forums was combing through a Blizzard job posting for a Franchise Development Producer and noted an interesting line that indicated the studio could be mulling over the idea of in-game ads for its next MMO.

The line in question specifies that one of the duties of the position is to "work with major consumer brands to facilitate product placement and licensing within the world of Blizzard Entertainment's next-gen MMO that enhances the gameplay experience." Whether this is a sign that we'll be seeing billboards for Skittles while we raid or if players will be able to get endorsements and decorate their outfits a la NASCAR cars is anyone's guess.

It's important to note that the rest of this position entails a number of efforts to promote Blizzard's "next-gen MMO" outside of the tight-knit gaming sphere, including comics, action figures, and short movies.
    So....

Shit just hit the fan? I'm not sure what to think. I know they want to make money, but...

Discuss. What do you guys think about this? Too much or do you not care at all?

If there's product advertising within Titan, I can assure you that there will be many people not playing it.

Deleted
    Well, depends in what universe it'd be. You know you can'T put that in warcraft, but I think, they'd put that in starcraft universe. And it depends how much it'd be visible. Since we don't know nothing about it, I'll be cool for now.

Replacing food & drink items with Redbull and McDonalds Combo Meals? Why not, the fatter they are the more time they will spend on the computer
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

That's what I'm thinking too...

On another note: If 'major consumer brands' can facilitate their products within the Titan game, can we conclude that Titan will be set in a present-day world? Or am I reading too much into this?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sidelsky18 View Post
    If there's product advertising within Titan, I can assure you that there will be many people not playing it.
    Why, what's the problem with it? They do it with certain TV shows in England and nobody has stopped watching them just because of PP. Infact I never even notice half the time, its mostly like a can of coke in the background or something.

Deleted
    then there better be no monthly fee or otherwise advertising like this makes no sense

Mountain dew.

May not be the most blatant product placement, but the partnership made money for the company. If the point of the game is the make money, why not make a platform that is easier to do it with?

Not surprised at all, and not terribly scarred yet, either.

Product placement does bother me at all. I mean if you look around you, watch TV, go for a walk in town, read a paper they is advertising everywhere. As long as it doesn't get in the way of the game then i'm all for it.

If there is no monthly fee to compensate, go for it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by klimon View Post
    Mountain dew.
    Yup, seems like people are forgetting the whole Mountain Dew thing with the Warbot Ignition Key and the Blue/Red Fuel

Also the Coca Cola promotion in China that rewarded a Polar Bear pet (Polar Bear Collar)
    FFXIV: Rintha Elenah | WoW: Rinth | GW2: Reno Turan

Quote Originally Posted by Fentality View Post
    Why, what's the problem with it? They do it with certain TV shows in England and nobody has stopped watching them just because of PP. Infact I never even notice half the time, its mostly like a can of coke in the background or something.
    Product placement is a massive issue in the UK, and yes they have stopped watching in droves because of it.

UK commercial television is particularly sensitive to adverse PP compared with other markets because of intense BBC competition against most commercial TV serials.

If you never notice it's probably no surprise you chose to watch commercial TV.

Deleted
    If the game is free to play then i could understand why but otherwice nope.

10+ Year Old Account
    As usual, penny arcade got it right, and a long time ago too:

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there any difference between this and the iPistol billboards in Starcraft 2, other than Blizzard will be paid for it? If it's true, I'm sure Blizzard will handle it in a way that fits in with the feel of the game.

I reckon Titan and WoW will share a subscription.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

Deleted
    doesnt really bother me? so what if my character is going to drink a redbull instead of a mountain spring water or what ever. as long as there are no adverts in game or stuff like that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    doesnt really bother me? so what if my character is going to drink a redbull instead of a mountain spring water or what ever. as long as there are no adverts in game or stuff like that.
    Oh my god.. I just.. why? I mean how do you.. Christ... nvm...

That wasn't needed. Post constructively or not at all. -Seam
    Last edited by seam; 2012-01-23 at 10:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    It seems that some people might read too much into this.

Basically, a lot of times when developers are producing a game, they will want to have it lifelike. Being lifelike, they need to have product endorsements or they could get sued.

Using a product without the company's permission to do so is a pretty big no no, so you have two camps. Developers that make their own products and make a fantasy world, or developers that use current and real products to make the world how it actually is.

This is my take on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

We talking here something like this not happening?

I wouldn't have an issue if they were using the Tradmark names just in game.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibu View Post
    That's what I'm thinking too...

On another note: If 'major consumer brands' can facilitate their products within the Titan game, can we conclude that Titan will be set in a present-day world? Or am I reading too much into this?
    this is what first came to my mind. they're looking at ways to create a more "realistic" present day or slightly in the future - say 10-15yrs world. Makes sense to me.