Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll put it to this way because I think it works best:

First you pick your Story Class, which decides your overarching story.
    At level 10, you pick your gameplay class - the class that decides how you progress your story.
    Scratch a cynic and you'll find a disappointed idealist - George Carlin (1937-2008)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarocket View Post
    The problem I personally have with this is, let's go with your first example. The Sorcerer feels like an elemental shaman, that's kind of true...in one of the skill trees.

For me the Sorcerer has 3 distinct feels to it: Lightning - Very focused burst damage dealer (Elemental shaman/mage), Corruption - Resto Shaman/Disc Priest combination here with a riptide mechanic and some decent damage prevention, Madness - A DoT based spec that plays more akin to a Shadow Priest or Warlock.

That's all for a Sorcerer, each trees plays out (within it's own AC) as a different spec/class just like in WoW.
    You took it much too literally

Sorc focuses on using the force abilities at range, and focuses on making those better
    Assassin focuses on the martial aspects, however she still uses Shock, she still uses the Lightning Channel, still uses crushing darkness, etc.

With the exception of Agent/Smuggler, the Advanced classes don't feel like different classes. They feel like two aspects of the same class, which Bioware made into two classes for, honestly, the sole purpose of making you roll more alts and play through their linear story again and again.

If the Assassin almost 100% stopped using Force abilities, then there would be some logic to them being distinct classes, but as it is now you have two "classes" which use the same armor, the same weapons, the same stats, and large amounts of the same abilities, hell the even share a talent tree.
    Last edited by mistuhbull; 2012-01-25 at 03:03 AM.
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    You took it much too literally

Sorc focuses on using the force abilities at range, and focuses on making those better.
    But what about a Mage in WoW? They focus on magic from range, the different specs determine which abilities are better though. I see it as no different...the specs offer different flavors of the class. In the Sorcerer's case it changes from Direct Damage, Healing, and DoTs. I think there is enough variance in the specs to offer a fair amount of options to the player base.

I'd rather not be bogged down with the option for 6 different styles of play, especially when certain styles will require an entirely different set of gear. (Double Bladed Lightsaber and a Regular + Offhand in this case)
    Last edited by Ragnarocket; 2012-01-25 at 03:34 AM.
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    For the sake of not having idiots reroll from a healing AC to a tanking AC with no clue how to tank.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    For the sake of not having idiots reroll from a healing AC to a tanking AC with no clue how to tank.
    Just like same idiots respeccing from DPS to Tank/Heal with no clue how to tank/heal? (what's wrong with that, anyway?)
    What about idiots who start playing tank/heal from the start?
    What about smart people who know how to Tank/Heal but cba to reroll the same class?

Resume: nothing will change in regards to smart/idiot ratio per role.

I've kind of wondered this myself. I'm certainly not against the idea of being able to switch advanced class but, as an agent/operative, I don't see the appeal of sniper and so probably wouldn't use it. However, that said, if BW are never, ever going to implement this as some people argue, then why are there advanced class trainers dotted around in places other than the fleet? You're unable to choose one until you're level 10/got to the fleet, so why have one (for the Empire) in Kaas City; to get there you need to be far beyond level 10.

In all honesty, I don't really know why people don't want the idea implemented. I mean, to me, it makes no logical sense to limit the game because player a personally doesn't like the idea so player b can't do it even though it has no effect, what so ever, on eachothers playing.

Oh, and another 'argument' for AC switching is that the gear remains the same for each; no having to swap to willpower from cunning.

---Added---

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Everyone started somewhere.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phototropic View Post
    Oh, and another 'argument' for AC switching is that the gear remains the same for each; no having to swap to willpower from cunning.
    Actually it doesn't for everyone, Sith Warrior/Jedi Knight uses either medium armor or heavy armor depending on which one they choose, if a Guardian/Juggernaught switched they would no longer be able to use any of their current gear.

I still support being able to switch AC though, for as long as it has some sort of cooldown on like 1-3 days.

Ahh yeah, I forgot about that... that's annoying :/

Sound rebuttal, sir!

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I hope it's never implemented. You can already choose between different skill trees (i.e you can play as a healer or dps within the same AC); changing an AC is like the equivalent of making a Warrior in WoW and changing it to a priest...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toralin View Post
    Personally I hope it's never implemented. You can already choose between different skill trees (i.e you can play as a healer or dps within the same AC); changing an AC is like the equivalent of making a Warrior in WoW and changing it to a priest...
    I've yet to see someone explain to me what's wrong with that

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    Well why have classes at all then? Why not just give everyone every ability and let them mold things to their play style.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've yet to see someone explain to me why that would be a good thing. And no, laziness/not wamtimg to level another toon is NOT an acceptable answer to me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toralin View Post
    Not even close, the advanced classes might be different clases, but they still share their basic class abilities and even class story. It would be more like changing between Mage -> Warlock if anything, not that you can really compare since WoW doesn't have advanced classes but only basic classes. The advanced classes even share one spec for crying out loud, why are people so against it?

The only arguments against it I have seen so far are people being against it for the sake of being against it. I don't see any actual real problems with it being implemented, at all, what are you afraid they might perform badly? If they do they likely did in their previous AC as well.

---------- Post added 2012-01-25 at 03:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Well why have classes at all then? Why not just give everyone every ability and let them mold things to their play style.
    Advanced classes are still advanced classes, not entirely different classes. As I previously stated they even share basic abilities and class story with each other, in fact they are more of one time choice specializations than actual different classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    Not even close, the advanced classes might be different clases, but they still share their basic class abilities and even class story. It would be more like changing between Mage -> Warlock if anything
    They share a few basic skills sure, my Mercenary still has a regular Missile and a Flamethrower that the Powertech does but the thing is that once you choose your AC at level 10, you have 40 levels where you are learning completely unique abilities that the other AC doesn't get. This makes them FAR more different than a Mage/Warlock. Just look at the Sorcerer who becomes either a long range spellcaster or a rouge/DK hybrid who fights at close range.

This is why I'm personally against the swapping of ACs, I picked a Mercenary because I want to play at a distance and potentially heal, if I want to tank I realize that my AC does not have the skills required to tank. I'll level either another BH and make him a Powertech or just level a different class altogether. It's no different from WoW and I have a Shaman, I recognize that the Shaman can't tank...I accept that making that character. Why should SW:TOR be any different? Why should everyone have access to every role? That just makes the game dull to me and creates a feeling where no one is unique, and in a game like this I think that feeling unique is very important.
    Last edited by Ragnarocket; 2012-01-25 at 02:12 PM.
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

Deleted
    They share a few basic skills sure, my Mercenary still has a regular Missile and a Flamethrower that the Powertech does but the thing is that once you choose your AC at level 10, you have 40 levels where you are learning completely unique abilities that the other AC doesn't get. This makes them FAR more different than a Mage/Warlock. Just look at the Sorcerer who becomes either a long range spellcaster or a rouge/DK hybrid who fights at close range.

This is why I'm personally against the swapping of ACs, I picked a Mercenary because I want to play at a distance and potentially heal, if I want to tank I realize that my AC does not have the skills required to tank. I'll level either another BH and make him a Powertech or just level a different class altogether. It's no different from WoW and I have a Shaman, I recognize that the Shaman can't tank...I accept that making that character. Why should SW:TOR be any different? Why should everyone have access to every role? That just makes the game dull to me and creates a feeling where no one is unique, and in a game like this I think that feeling unique is very important.
    You keep gaining basic class abilities all the way to 40+ though, also as I said the two advanced classes often if not always (haven't checked up all of them) share one of their 3 specs with the other part of their class, both my Bounty Hunter and Sith Warrior does. That alone shows how close the two of them actually are even if one might be able to heal and the other tank.

If you changed AC you would immedietly gain access to all of the necessary tanking abilities. Also, you can't compare SWTOR to WoW as WoW does not have advanced classes. A Powertech is still a Bounty Hunter, not a Warrior, a Mercenary is still a Bounty Hunter, not a sorcerer, they are still the same basic class, that is what differs SWTOR's classes so greatly from WoW, and that is why you should be able to switch between them, they are from the start exactly the same.
    Last edited by mmoce2fa46bcbe; 2012-01-25 at 02:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Switching classes is not the same as all classes in one. Next.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckon View Post
    I've yet to see someone explain to me why that would be a good thing. And no, laziness/not wamtimg to level another toon is NOT an acceptable answer to me.
    If it's not a bad thing then it is a matter of personal choice. Some people want to be able to do it. It will be good for them. Next.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    You keep gaining basic class abilities all the way to 40+ though, also as I said the two advanced classes often if not always (haven't checked up all of them) share one of their 3 specs with the other part of their class, both my Bounty Hunter and Sith Warrior does. That alone shows how close the two of them actually are even if one might be able to heal and the other tank.
    It's always, you are right!
    Once again though I really have to emphasize the difference in the abilities between (using my class' example) of a Mercenary/Powertech.

Just a quick look at TORhead shows that the different ACs have 20-24 UNIQUE skills, while the Bounty Hunter base class contains around 30 abilities (this is however including things like Sprint, Quick Travel, Armor Proficiency, etc.) and in fact, the only real Bounty Hunter skills that I would say I use on a regular basis are Quick Shots, Rail Shot, and Vent Heat.

All of the abilities that I normally use (and that are augmented by my skill trees) are in the Mercenary skills. (Fusion Missile, Jet Boost, Power Shot)

From what I can tell most of the base class abilities tend to set you up for the future and/or give you something to manage your resources which don't change based on your AC.

Deleted
    It's always, you are right!
    Once again though I really have to emphasize the difference in the abilities between (using my class' example) of a Mercenary/Powertech.

Just a quick look at TORhead shows that the different ACs have 20-24 UNIQUE skills, while the Bounty Hunter base class contains around 30 abilities (this is however including things like Sprint, Quick Travel, Armor Proficiency, etc.) and in fact, the only real Bounty Hunter skills that I would say I use on a regular basis are Quick Shots, Rail Shot, and Vent Heat.

All of the abilities that I normally use (and that are augmented by my skill trees) are in the Mercenary skills. (Fusion Missile, Jet Boost, Power Shot)

From what I can tell most of the base class abilities tend to set you up for the future and/or give you something to manage your resources which don't change based on your AC.
    That completely depends on what spec you choose, just checked exactly what spec Powetech and Mercenary share and it's called Pyrotech. It uses most of the Bounty Hunter basic skills, much like the Powertech tanking tree does for damage. If you were to go Arsenal you most likely use more of your Mercenary abilities only.

Place a Powertech Pyrotech and a Mercenary Pyrotech next to each other and let them have at it against each other, aren't they basically the exact same thing? Aside from a few AC abilities they are going to use the same abilities against each other.
    Last edited by mmoce2fa46bcbe; 2012-01-25 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricen View Post
    Will the feature of switching Adv classes ever be implemented? This may be a stupid question, but i feel i may of made a mistake of going Commando, and should of gone Vanguard :/
    Last I read there is a good chance that dual spec will include the advance class. However what is coming is pure speculation. I am all in favor of changing to either talent set as no in game mechanic recognizes your choice of advance class. No NPC, no encounter, and no quest makes note of the difference. Its not much different from the transformation one goes through when your a druid in warcraft.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

10+ Year Old Account
    Switching classes is not the same as all classes in one. Next.

If it's not a bad thing then it is a matter of personal choice. Some people want to be able to do it. It will be good for them. Next.
    From a developer stand point it makes very little sense to give people this option. Consider that Inqs could fufill every roll necessary if you gave them this ability. Well why bother rerolling? why not just have everyone roll an Inq and switch as needed?.