Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Acrophobia and Spine of Deathwing

Acrophobia, for those who don't know, being an irrational fear of heights. Does anyone with that condition have it come into play during the Spine of Deathwing fight?

Personally, while I'm not acrophobic, I find even myself getting a tad cautious during the fight. A little part of me is afraid that I'm going to walk over the edge by accident, especially when we're forcing Deathwing to barrel roll and stacking on one of the corruption wounds. It got me thinking earlier how people with the actual condition might handle it. After all, you're fighting on the back of an angry dragon hundreds of feet over the ocean.

This certainly wouldn't be the first time a phobia might come into play during a boss fight, particularly people with arachnophobia trying to do quests involving spiders or having tried to kill Maexxna when Naxx was current content.

Any thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not a problem for me because I'm a mage and mages >> gravity.

I emphatise with anyone who has this issue. Naxx was a dark time for me and my fear of spiders:P

Quote Originally Posted by Tadkins View Post
    This certainly wouldn't be the first time a phobia might come into play during a boss fight, particularly people with arachnophobia trying to do quests involving spiders or having tried to kill Maexxna when Naxx was current content.
    While I do have both arachnophobia and acrophobia, I haven't experience much of an issue on spine. I usually just zoom in a little and I can't even see much of the world outside of Deathwing.

However, Spiders are a different story. I will avoid spider quests like the plague, and I had to have my camera zoomed to the ground for Maexnna.

Quote Originally Posted by Astralli View Post
    and I had to have my camera zoomed to the ground for Maexnna.
    The new Deadmines, the last boss gauntlet, Smelting room. My god >.<
    Literally moved my character to the corner, faced him away from the wall, targeted the mini boss mob as he spawned and set the camera facing the wall, in first person mode. If the tank moved the mini boss too far away from me for me to dps, i did not dps.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find that during barrol rolls I also get a little tense.

Also to the people talking about Arachnophobia, I also have it. But I find the spiders in WoW to look cartoony luckily, though my sister........ yeah she doesn't like em.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    It would appear the world is retardeding at a pace much more rapid than previously anticipated.

is this serious?

10+ Year Old Account
    Im terribly scared of hights, I get the chills when I dismount midair and fall to the ground. Never had any problems with Spine though.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by kbyelol View Post
    is this serious?
    THIS

The 1st thing that came to mind is - Not sure if serious....

Quote Originally Posted by Toroc View Post
    THIS

The 1st thing that came to mind is - Not sure if serious....
    Why wouldn't it be serious? As folks mentioned before a lot of people hate spiders and even in game spiders cause them to feel uncomfortable. I knew a person who couldn't look at their screen flying over places like SMV because the green lava stuff made them feel motion sick. Wouldn't surprise me if someone out there was bothered by heights in a video game.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    Why wouldn't it be serious? As folks mentioned before a lot of people hate spiders and even in game spiders cause them to feel uncomfortable. I knew a person who couldn't look at their screen flying over places like SMV because the green lava stuff made them feel motion sick. Wouldn't surprise me if someone out there was bothered by heights in a video game.
    Well, you learn something new everyday! I just never knew they exactly went that far...
    Last edited by Toroc; 2012-01-24 at 09:10 AM.

When I'm falling from huge heights in-game (including WoW) I tend to get stiff and close eyes tightly, leaning a bit backwards
    I also feel very uncomfortable on the bridges and near balconies

Do I have this... acrophobia condition?
    Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    The unfortunate fact of the matter is that many, many people in wow are very passionate in their obsession with acting like a complete retard.

I'm afraid of heights and I had no problems in any place in wow.. even while flying over Ulduar..
    It's 2d image after all, you have bad perception of height in 2d images.. Maybe I'd feel different if I played with good 3D googles, but untill then? naah, it's a 2d image of video game.. Don't drag fears too far >.<
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Whilst I do not know anyone who has the issues with heights I do know of at least 2 who absolutely refuse to do diving quests, due to fear of deep water.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand how people can be scared of heights, in a game? It ISN'T real life.

I'm scared shitless of spiders in real life, but spiders in WoW. Scary? I don't think so.

10+ Year Old Account
    No acrophobia is the fear of acronyms. Adding to that it was an awesome flash based game
    Last edited by lockblock; 2012-01-24 at 09:20 AM.

Deleted
    It's drawings. Pixels. How do pixels trigger fears? It's not like the spiders in Naxx were real, or the banelings in SC2 are real. Yet people constantly complain about having their phobias or fears triggered. Deal with it. Mind over matter. "It's not real" - repeat that in your head, and learn to deal with your fears the way other people do - Accept them, and face them head-on. Otherwise you'll be stuck in the fear-zone forever, and how is that living?

I'd be surprised if anyone experienced this fear on Spine, since for the most part the environment feels static and like a remodeled gunship.

Can you guys even tell that Deathwing is up in the air? 'Cos I sure can't, even fully zoomed out. All I can see is Deathwing's back, and if I decide to look up on purpose, all I can see is clouds :P
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

I'm scared of spiders, but I saw fights like Beth & Maexxna as revenge. The only way I can get back at a spider without... actually having to go near a spider.

@the person who said they get a stiff sensation when falling, you're probably not acrophobic. I get a small thrill when I dismount, which either turns to panic if I'm on a class that can't cheat death (rocket jump, leap, etc) or a thrill similar to that of skydiving when I know I can live. Once you do it a few times you'll figure out that it's just a neat sensation. If you do it a few times and start feeling nauseous, then yeah you're probably acrophobic.

I doubt Spine would trigger this - No offense to Blizzard but the landscape of the fight is so, so unreal that even the irrational part of my mind when DRUNK doesn't go 'BRO THE EDGE BRO'.