Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Not just epic gem,s but gems in general have been a bust this xpac.

Way too much demand for red gems.

No direct method to buy gems. EX: 1000 VP for Rare quality gems.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    I love RNG. I like that not everyone has epic gems. I use none myself.
    love your relativism.
    I love money. I'm also happy there are multi-billionaires in the world, while some people don't even have a roof over their head. Me?-I'm average middle class.
    Last edited by painweaver; 2012-01-24 at 01:48 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have one red and one purple equipped. Doubt I'll ever see heroic content. I sold one purple gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricksterjim View Post
    If you aren't raiding HC you don't need em. If you are raiding HC, then your guild probably has the means to outfit main raiders with expensive gems and enchants. If you are doing LFR, Heroics and even normal DS, you are not entitled to them, however if you are doing normal DS you have a chance to get them, just like anyone else. And if you spend 1-2 hrs farming ore, skin, enchanting mats etc, you can get enough G to buy another.
    This argument is so old and overused. It was used back when epics were still epic, it was used when enchants like power torrent were too expensive, etc. The term "need" is thrown around way too easily in the context of an MMO. The entire point of an MMO is to progress your character, but not everyone progresses in the same way. Telling someone they shouldnt be able to progress by getting better gems because they dont do heroic content is pretty weak.

And as I said, it makes absolutely no sense in relation to anything else in the game. Epic gear from vendors and quests, tier from bosses that are easier than 5 mans, but gems are where the line is drawn?

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    if you havent killed deathwing you have bigger problems than not having epic gems.
    He probably meant the Geodes.

Half my gear is epic gem'd, for BiS's and T13 gear that I won't be replacing anytime soon with the heroic versions [Just got the shoulders atm]... I don't mind paying 4-6k for em, just the fact there's never any on the AH -.-;

Would have loved to see Alchemists being able to transmute them, with a week long CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Khalai View Post
    For myself, I'm not buying epic gems for my slots, but If I get one out of a cluster I'll definitely use it. I imagine its similar for most others.
    Yep same.

9k gold (for red) for just 10 stats is extreme.
    OF course every little helps & it all adds up, but having the need to use 10+ red gems is extremely costly.
    They just need to add the raw gems for Valor Points now as i'm sure everyone has what they need from that vendor & it's the most useful dump I can think off.

There's no rational reason why they're so rare.
    I assume most raiders will ONLY consider buying them for HEROIC gear, so why not let the epic guaranteed GEM item drop from ALL heroic bosses?

Also the ideology of having an epic gem is a way of showing off is fallacious. Since anyone can obtain them through gold.
    Last edited by Aryl; 2012-01-24 at 01:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by painweaver View Post
    love your relativism.
    I love money. I'm also happy for the multi-billionaires in the world, while some people don't even have a roof over their head. Me?-I'm average middle class.

Far-fetched analogies and relativistic nonsense aside, I sincerely feel that the constant removal of RNG from WoW has made the game stale and predictable. The epic gems thing is a pretty trivial and inconsequential example, but I'm pleased to see the chance to be "lucky" in any shape and form.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're not worth it -- at all -- unless on cutting edge progression. I don't think they are a failure, because they actually do get used. But the demographic is a small one. Less than 10% of the playerbase, to be generous.
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I were to swap out all 7 red (non-JC) gems that my priest currently uses for their epic counterpart I would gain 70 intellect. I currently have 7367 int (ilvl 383 equipped), so this would equal out to be ~0.95% increase. If I went to the auction house with those same 7 gems I could easily make 6k/gem = 42k gold

I'll take my 42k gold right meow, because 70 intellect isn't going to make or break my healing/dps. To top it all off, gear is so easy to replace nowadays that I don't feel putting epic gems in something that isn't BiS is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    if you havent killed deathwing you have bigger problems than not having epic gems.
    *casual card*

But in all seriousness casual raiding guild with a couple of IRL friends thats all, we all study/have jobs etc so we only raid once rarely twice a week. Inb4 bads.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post

Far-fetched analogies and relativistic nonsense aside, I sincerely feel that the constant removal of RNG from WoW has made the game stale and predictable. The epic gems thing is a pretty trivial and inconsequential example, but I'm pleased to see the chance to be "lucky" in any shape and form.
    I agree with you. To me, it just seems like an awkward way to "bring back the RNG". It's weird that epic gems (of all things) are about the only *luck* based item in the game anymore.

Deleted
    We are refunding epic gems for ilevel 397 BiS and any 410 up to 2k (even Queen garnets cost about 1.5k right now on AH - since not many people care enough for the boost of stats)
    Have 17 epic gems and 4 blue ones to be replaced in the (hopefully) near future ( http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rghie/advanced )

Any raiding guild must have a crapload of essences of destruction to sell to people who don't raid regularly for crafting purposes - the gold then is not worth just keeping in gbank - we spend it on gems, enchants, pots, flasks, repairs... and still our gbank's balance is slowly going up...

Furthermore - what good is gold for so late in the expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by Morghie View Post
    I don't know. What's gold good for at all? It has one thing going for it - it's the only thing that you can bring between expansions that "matters". Of course, it strikes me that there was nothing worth spending my personal gold on in Cataclysm, so it's been steadily going up as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Morghie View Post
    We are refunding epic gems for ilevel 397 BiS and any 410 up to 2k (even Queen garnets cost about 1.5k right now on AH - since not many people care enough for the boost of stats)
    Have 17 epic gems and 4 blue ones to be replaced in the (hopefully) near future ( http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rghie/advanced )

Any raiding guild must have a crapload of essences of destruction to sell to people who don't raid regularly for crafting purposes - the gold then is not worth just keeping in gbank - we spend it on gems, enchants, pots, flasks, repairs... and still our gbank's balance is slowly going up...

1.5k? you guys are lucky. On my server Queen's Garnets sit at 5k+ constantly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lythria View Post
    If you could get them from LFR would that have helped?
    Most definitely.

Also, yes they were a bust. I see them on my server for 2k MINIMUM. 5-10 stat points is just NOT worth it.

Haven't gotten to raid normal mode at all, cause when I LFR my computer hits the ground as far as FPS go. Zero. TO THE GROUND!
    Last edited by Melilithia; 2012-01-24 at 02:25 AM.
    My Main is Melithiria (90 Lock)

The Left-Hand Path is the brightest path I have ever walked upon.

If I get one in a cluster, I'll have it cut and put in a BiS item. If I don't get it in a cluster, I don't use them.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

I have no complaints concerning epic gems, gotten 7 red gems 2 orange ones and 3 greens and 2 purples so far all of epic quallity.
    Granted, thats due to turn ins on 2 toons.
    Greens ive cut to puisant, and gave away to our guild tanks, orange ones went to healers.
    Already started using them in normal DS gear, figured why the hell not.

What else would you use your gold for other than upgrading your character? Unless you want to gear up a ton of alts, but if you're not going to progress on them, why gear them up?
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainArlong View Post
    When you play a video game, you don't put any "effort" into it at all. You're pushing keys on a keyboard, you're not running a marathon or playing a sport.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they were, unless they drastically drop in price or Blizzard adds some more content before the next patch that would require gemming, there really is no reason to splurge multiple thousands of gold for some minor upgrades in stats by going to epics over blue quality gems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    There's nothing for casuals to do, beyond pretend they are raiders in LFR.