Looking for an obscure 2D fantasy (D&D style?) rts style game from the 90's

I have yet to find this game on any list, even apparently comprehensive list, of games from the 90's. It's not a "top shelf" game either as far as I can tell.

I don't remember too much about the game other than you had to build up your town, which spanned over different screens in a two dimension pseudo side scrolling world. The view was not isometric or top down. You could go left or right, while some screens would allow you to move up or down. You had to build essential things to make more units, like granaries and other buildings. You could train spellcasters, archers, and different kind of warriors. There was another side of your standard "bad" that was out to destroy you, and some screens you would wander upon would have places where you could mine gold or gems while others would be packed with enemies. As far as I remember, the game ended when you defeated whatever other "bad" was out there.

The graphics were also pretty bad, even for its time. It was the sort of fare you would find, at one point, on that shelf of a bunch of assorted games in disc sized boxed in the PC area of electronics stores.

I don't remember the name of the game. I never owned it as a kid. Instead, one of my bro's friends installed it on our computer, but in order to start a new game you had to enter a word from the instruction manual on a certain line or page. Fortunately I guessed one of them was "after" and could make new games.

Thanks for your help.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not being helpful at all, but
    Quote Originally Posted by asher1611 View Post
    ... in order to start a new game you had to enter a word from the instruction manual on a certain line or page. Fortunately I guessed one of them was "after" and could make new games.
    I remember this! Warcraft 1 was the first 'real' computer game I ever played other than Minesweeper and Solitaire on Win95. The installation came in four floppy disks and to install it, you needed to enter a word the same way. So I guess it's not unique to that game that you're looking for.

Now I'm curious to know what game it is.