Best way to twink out your companions?

So finally found a class I like (Sith Sorcerer) and was wondering once I get to harder planets where Khem might get owned whats the best way to gear him out? Im thinking full level 40 pvp set would be pretty beast once I get that far. But that kinda leaves me on the short end of the stick if I use all my Commendations on him unless I do like 100 WZs a day. Should I take up Synthweaving so I can make both of us gear or is the Orange moddable PvP gear really the only way to go?

You can buy him/give him other Heavy orange gear and keep it modded, doesnt have to be the PvP stuff, and the Synthweaving gear gets left behind a fair bit if you level quickly.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't have much of a problem with Khem Val while leveling my assassin. I just gave him pieces of gear that dropped or from quests lol. It just depends on what/how you're leveling.

I know on my BH, I just give my companions rakata and champion gear- but you're not 50 yet :/

Would a full set of tank gear make him a beast, soloing machine if I go heal spec?

Yes but you will level slowly from 30+ or so, at least I did as a tank with a healing companion. I'm getting close to 30 with my Healing Sorc and I see it slowing down already.

I gear him up with quest rewards when I have the option, and stop at the GTN in between planets and see if there is any nice gear for him if he has any really outdated pieces. WTB new look customization for him... anyone know where the customization vendors for him are and if I can get that really armored look for him before 50?

To gear your companion:
    -Get as much moddable gear that your companion can wear as possible.
    -When you spend your commendations from a planet, spend some on your companion. NOT at the equipment commendation vendor, but at the modifications commendation vendor.
    -Make use of the green-quality armoring/hilts/barrels that the mods vendors sell. They're only slightly worse than the blue-quality ones and that way you don't get your commendations soaked too bad. PvP can work too, but I found that I'd use my pvp gear on myself and my commendations on my companions.

At 50, I'm finding it so easy to get the lowest level of epic gear that all my Aim companions (I'm a bounty hunter) are in full epics just from stuff I get assigned while pugging raids or /greed rolls in hard modes. I got geared on my toon so fast that I"m spending all my tionese thingies on my cunning companions now.

The armored look for Khem Val is from the security key vendor

How do you go about gearing up a droid? Specifically, T7, the JK companion. I am on Hoth now, and I have to stop after e v e r y s i n g l e f i g h t to heal up, and half the time he is defeated. I can steamroll stuff with Doc, the healer companion, but I really like T7 better. Would rather use him, but he is a liability at this point.

can a tank pet actually "tank" if hes wearing end game gear? Would like to use him to solo farm champ mobs and fun stuff like that.

I keep Khem in the latest mods and orange gear, and the occasional flashpoint drops and he does okay. We can do any Heroic 2+ missions like the Poisonous Strategy one on Ilum, but if you're trying to solo at-level flashpoints or HMs, it's absolutely not doable. He just has that much less armor than an equivalently geared player that he goes down incredibly fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Run FPs with people who don't wear the armor you want to equip your companion with. I happen to run HM FPs with other Consulars and Knights, and we greed Aim and Cunning gear for our companions. They can even wear set pieces.
    Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild

Running a Juggernaut with Jaesa because I just can't stand that asshat of a Quinn. I've kept her in orange gear and she's amazing. She kills non-healer elites on her own while I take care of the normal/strong ones if I want to (normally I do it the other way around cuz it's more fun). Soloing heroics is like having a permanent CC on the second elite that does massive damage.

Get your companion orange gear, keep the mods up to date. Since I knew I was going to run with Jaesa, I just got all light armor orange gear at low lvl planets and FPs to instantly equip her with it. Asked some guildies to craft me some epic mods with me supplying the mats and she was good to go. After that I just upgraded her and my mods after every planet with commendations and quest rewards. At 50, it becomes easy to get good gear for companions through PvP, crafting, FPs, the GTN or even simple grinding.

I remember giving her her first orange lightsaber. It was like +100 max damage over her starter lightsaber. :P

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Just get Khem some orange gear and buy some blue pieces off the AH every now and then (they're usually quite cheap, even after level 30 or so, like 2-5k creds for a blue lvl30-45 belt).

Oh, and make sure you gear him in Defence gear. My Khem is in all Defence gear made outta orange/blue/epic lvl30+ gear at lvl33 with defensive mods and such and he can run into huge packs of mobs and take little to no damage as long as I pre-shield him before the pull.
    He also has like 8,7k HP while I only have like 7k myself :P

If you want to use a tank companion strive to keep A) as much of their highest gear in orange pieces as possible and B) pick up the highest blue Armoring and Hilt/Barrel you can find. Armoring increases the armor and hilt/barrel is what determines your base weapon damage.

Keep those two up to date and just strive to keep at least current green mods/enhancements and you'll be fine.

To the OP:

Don't discount ranged DPS x2 as a better alternative to Tank + DPS. I stopped using Khem as soon as Andronikos became available.