Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Fun, uplifting game?

Hey everyone, I have been feeling a little depressed lately, and I recently read an IGN article about "gaming new years resolutions." One of them was to play a game with a cute/fun visual style over the really gritty, lifelike graphics of most games. I thought this would be just what I needed to get me out of this funk. I was hoping for a good game with a "cute" art style, but I really don't want it to be a kid's game. an example I was thinking of is Zelda: Wind Waker. (Please do not suggest anything either gross, "overly-idiotic", or pointless.)

Also I only have a Wii & a PC, so PS3/Xbox 360 exclusives are a no-go

Thanks!
    "Can you truly help someone so intent on being stupid?"
    - Hawke

If you haven't played Wind Waker, it is a GREAT game!

Pokemon games are always fun. I've heard great things about black/white. I've seen them being compared to red/blue.

I gotta suggest Wind Waker as well, I just started playing through it again on dolphin. Or even look around steam at some of the indie games, there are some gems
    in the for that style.
    End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have played wind waker, that was my example game. I am kind of looking for a game similar to that.
    "Can you truly help someone so intent on being stupid?"
    - Hawke

Magicka. I found it quite funny, it's an indie game that doesn't take itself too seriously but it's...interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually played (and beat) Wind Waker and it was a nice change of pace and gave me a much needed break from my other preferences. Ontop of that, it actually sucked me in and I was surprised I enjoyed it.

As for other games... hmm... I can't really think of any off the top of my head because I am overly tired.

Edit: I fell asleep while posting... I WAS going to be the first post... but yeah... time for bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazertree View Post
    I gotta suggest Wind Waker as well, I just started playing through it again on dolphin. Or even look around steam at some of the indie games, there are some gems
    in the for that style.
    mind giving me the links where you got the rom for it and the emulator? everytime i try it it wont play it :/

OT: windwaker, terraria TF2 and dungeon defenders. i highly recomend dungeon defenders great game for 15 bucks (PC)

10+ Year Old Account
    A Boy and His Blob, Pirates Plundarrr, Klonoa, Drawn to Life, Sonic Colors and Dewy's Adventure, all on Wii.

Also Super Mario Sunshine and Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg for GameCube.

Also I have it on PS2 but I believe a PC version exists of Giants: Citizen Kabuto which I would highly recommend.
    Last edited by Mechazod; 2012-01-24 at 06:45 AM.

Okami would be a great option for you to try. It was originally released for the PS2, but they remade it for the wii. The graphics are very artistic, and the style suits the game perfectly. It is one of my all time favorites. And now that you remind me, I'm going to dig my old brick of a PS2 out of storage and give it a nostalgic play-through.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thing is, it's pretty much based on personal experience and taste. For example, I find Final Fantasy IX (can be emulated perfectly on a PC) and The Longest Journey games very relaxing and soothing. I actually replay them once a year or so.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataclysmic Skyris View Post
    mind giving me the links where you got the rom for it and the emulator? everytime i try it it wont play it :/

OT: windwaker, terraria TF2 and dungeon defenders. i highly recomend dungeon defenders great game for 15 bucks (PC)

Ok sent you a PM with the details to get it up and running. goodluck to ya
    End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im blanking on PSN games but there are A LOT of good ones. Play Ratchet and Clank on the PS3. Very fun game. Funny, bright colors, doesn't take it self too seriously.

Hmm, Wii and PC?

Paper Mario games
    Psychonauts
    Pikmin

Hmm, I thought I'd have more but, as it turns out, a lot of the games with cuter aesthetics actually have pretty grim narratives. That and the fact that Rare moved over to Microsoft.

Look up a little game called Cave Story if you've never heard of it. It's kind of a "Metroidvania" title, developed over five years by a single person. You can even get it in a number of ways ... the original for free, a remake on Wii Virtual Console, and I think you can even get the remake version for PC through Steam nowadays.

In fact, yeah, here's the Steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/200900/

Ten bucks, probably about the same on Virtual Console. Or just free if you don't care about playing the "plus" version.

Excellent story, fantastic music, "cute" sort of style ... highly satisfying title from a more modern time, even if it is a throwback to older times.

Final Fantasy 9. It has its moments when it can be kind of grim, but I think it'd be the kind of thing you're looking for overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrage View Post
    Look up a little game called Cave Story if you've never heard of it. It's kind of a "Metroidvania" title, developed over five years by a single person. You can even get it in a number of ways ... the original for free, a remake on Wii Virtual Console, and I think you can even get the remake version for PC through Steam nowadays.

In fact, yeah, here's the Steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/200900/

Ten bucks, probably about the same on Virtual Console. Or just free if you don't care about playing the "plus" version.

Excellent story, fantastic music, "cute" sort of style ... highly satisfying title from a more modern time, even if it is a throwback to older times.
    I would've recommended that, except that it has a really dark story. The art style doesn't make it better, either. I was completely unprepared when Toroko and King died because I thought something like that could never happen in such a "cute" game. It also has a habbit of giving you the worst possible ending on your first playthrough because there are some points where making a seemingly arbitrary choice determines whether somebody lives or dies.

OP, if I were you I'd definitely play this game eventually because it is amazing. However, I would never call it an uplifting game.

The Wonderful End of World
    Trine 1 & 2
    Tiny Bang Story
    Swords And Soliders HD
    Rocks of Ages
    Plants and Zombies: GOTY
    Peggle Games
    Orcs Must Die!
    Greed Corp
    Costume Quest
    Bastion

Those games above, they're relatively cheap, with light-hearted storylines/artwork. There are exceptions, such as "Orcs Must Die!" The artwork is on the grimy side, but it takes itself so lightly you can't help but enjoy it.

Funny, the cute graphics actualy make me more depressed.

If you're into adventure gaming "The Book of Unwritten Tales" is something you might have a look at.

Dungeons of Dredmor a roguelike dungeon crawler RPG with funny art style and filled with tons of hilarious skills and abilities you can pick up to advance your character, such as Fleshsmithing and Emocracy.

Really good game for quick games or longer periods of gaming and funny as hell.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988