10+ Year Old Account

Advice on changing GPU

I'm currently looking for a card to replace my current GPU on my secondary computer, I will most likely sell it or give it a friend.

I currently got Radeon HD 5850/5870, can't exactly remember which one it was, nonetheless I'd like a 6xxx series GPU since it's been worn down by the last couple of years.

I got a budget of around 150-200$ (~1.000 Danish kroner), I've been looking at http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=620708.

System specs

4x 2GB DDR2 RAM
    I am fairly certain it's Phenom x4, not completely certain because the computer is in my hometown (Greenland)
    750w Energon PSU

If I'm giving it away it's gonna play stuff like Modern Warfare 3, World of Warcraft so obviously it isn't gonna need a heavy GPU, I'd like it to last a couple of years. (Who knows if they update their engine with Modern Warfare 16)
    Last edited by inux94; 2012-01-24 at 09:17 AM.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Anandtech has a lot of into on what you can expect from that card:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/290

10+ Year Old Account
    I always liked Tom's Hardware article titled Best Graphics Cards for the Money. Basically rounds up graphics cards every month at certain price point, all in American dollars, but I'm sure you can translate easy enough.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...view,3107.html

For that budget simply get a 6870, best choice you can make.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    I'm currently looking for a card to replace my current GPU on my secondary computer, I will most likely sell it or give it a friend.

I currently got Radeon HD 5850/5870, can't exactly remember which one it was, nonetheless I'd like a 6xxx series GPU since it's been worn down by the last couple of years.
    What do you mean by worn down exactly? Is the fan dying? Can you still get warranty service on it if so?

Quote Originally Posted by Caithy View Post
    For that budget simply get a 6870, best choice you can make.
    The HD 6870 is a sidegrade, and even a downgrade in some situations...

Deleted
    Do not "upgrade" to 6870 .... in that price range there isn't any update unless you want another one for xfire.

if your 5870 isn't getting the job done ... the 6870 won't do you any good. as kidsafe stated it's a downgrade.

check some benches : http://www.overclock.net/t/864213/w-...s-6870-vs-5870
    http://www.visualdreamers.com/news/a...870-vs-5870/2/

get another 5870 if you can ... but seriously don't downgrade :P
    Last edited by mmocda69302ff9; 2012-01-24 at 10:58 AM.

Deleted
    Yeah. 5850 = 6870 and 5870 > 6870
    Performance wise

In that price range you're best bet would be to wait for the new mid-range cards from nvidia and amd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    What do you mean by worn down exactly? Is the fan dying? Can you still get warranty service on it if so?

The HD 6870 is a sidegrade, and even a downgrade in some situations...
    The fan is dying out, I have to use a pencil to stop the fan and start the fan again like those old planes where you have to turn them a couple of times before they start again.
    What happens is, it sounds like the fan gets stuck on something after 5-10 minuttes, and I don't have the screwdriver set that fits to it to open it and fix it.

Warranty was a year from mm-vision.dk, and it's around 4 years old now. Can remember I purchased it back in 2008.
    Last edited by inux94; 2012-01-24 at 02:36 PM.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    With luck you have the little hole under the sticker to add some oil to it ... maybe it'll help.

I guess you may have already tried to blow some compressed air to clean it so. in the last case scenario ( if you fell secure enough to do it ) you may buy a "cheap" gpu cooler like the Artic Cooling Accelero L2 or the Scythe Musashi ( not so cheap I suppose ) and assemble it to replace the old one .

Well lets hope you can fix it :/ holding on until the next gen of cards reaches the marked since you can't really upgrade with that money :/

15+ Year Old Account
    The fan is dying out, I have to use a pencil to stop the fan and start the fan again like those old planes where you have to turn them a couple of times before they start again.
    What happens is, it sounds like the fan gets stuck on something after 5-10 minuttes, and I don't have the screwdriver set that fits to it to open it and fix it.

Warranty was a year from mm-vision.dk, and it's around 4 years old now. Can remember I purchased it back in 2008.
    5870 didn't even exist in 2008, i'd like to know how that would be possible.

Also buy a new cooling block from Arctic Cooling (www.arctic.ac) and you're good to go, buy another 5870 if you want more performance, best routine you can go.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Even more questions...are you sure you have a 5850 or 5870? You don't even seem to be sure which card you have...and your dates are wrong. A four year old card is more likely to be a Radeon HD 3850 or 3870!

As others have said, the HD 5870 was released just a little longer than two years ago. Many manufacturers in the US have a two-year warranty or better, so it depends on what EU warranties are like. I thought just about any retail purchased in the EU was covered by a two-year warranty by law... Check with both your retailer and the card's manufacturer for more information.

Yeah, I would first make sure 100% of what card you actually have. I suggest downloading GPU-Z (http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/) and check to see what card you have. Once you figure that out, come back and let us know so we can then make suggestions on what you should get to replace it.

But, if it IS a 5850.. try to get a warranty replacement fan on it or buy a new aftermarket fan for about $70 which would be cheaper. You honestly will be wasting money in buying a 6870.

Quote Originally Posted by Phishy714 View Post
    Yeah, I would first make sure 100% of what card you actually have. I suggest downloading GPU-Z (http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/) and check to see what card you have...

I got a budget of around 150-200$ (~1.000 Danish kroner), I've been looking at http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=620708.

System specs

4x 2GB DDR2 RAM
    I am fairly certain it's Phenom x4, not completely certain because the computer is in my hometown (Greenland)
    750w Energon PSU

If I'm giving it away it's gonna play stuff like Modern Warfare 3, World of Warcraft so obviously it isn't gonna need a heavy GPU, I'd like it to last a couple of years. (Who knows if they update their engine with Modern Warfare 16)
    Sometimes it helps to read the entire post.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are NOT going to get anything better for 200$ 6870 performs less than the 5870. Keep your 5870 or bump up the budget. I went from a single 5870 1gb, to SLI gtx 570.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

10+ Year Old Account
    Was me derping really badly, found the specs from an old post I made long time ago

Here's ze specs!
    Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 940 processor @ 3.0 GHZ
    RAM: 8GB RAM
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
    Graphics card: ATI Radeon 4890

Armory

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    In that case an HD 6870 would be a fairly incremental upgrade. It's a tough call. If you aren't even using that machine right now, you may as well wait a couple weeks for the new AMD (and possibly Nvidia) midrange cards to come out. If you can't wait, then it's not a big deal...especially if this is a secondary machine you plan on giving away.