Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Fix being CC'd while in Stealth

The plea is in the title. It didn't use to happen, it happens all the time now. I blow 2-3 CD to get free and do a runner only to find myself dazed/stunned/blinded while still in stealth, completely fucking useless. So despite all my CD's to get away, I'm at the mercy of a simple bit of AoE to bring me out and there I am completely helpless, because all of the CD's that SHOULD have got me out of danger are no longer available. As a rogue, who is heavily dependent on a) stealth and b) cooldowns for survivability this is immensely annoying. I know for a fact this never happened prey 4.2 but it's happening all the time now and I would love to know why, because I've seen nothing in the patch notes. Any clue as to why this is happening recently when it never happened before?

Latency does come into play into some situations. You just have to accept the fact that you don't have the perfect connection, and no, you shouldn't be granted CC immunity in stealth. Vanish is bad enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've noticed the same thing on my rogue. I only started playing him again about a week ago, but it's definitely different. Unfortunately, I don't know why... There are many times in BGs where I vanish only to be HoJ'd or Deep Frozen. Fortunately, the stealth sticks for me... but after vanish is up and i'm stuck, I still have a decent chance of being hit with any AOE.

People time their roots/CC so that they can hold a rogue in place during vanish. Working as intended a damn right disadvantage for rogues to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

I believe this is caused because of the flawed casting system.
    Let's take a look, how casting works in World of Warcraft.

Example:
    An elemental shaman casting Lava Burst, however Flame Shock is about to expire. How do we know if Lava Burst is going to crit or not?
    Let's ignore haste values for this example.
    1) Shaman casts Lava Burst (1.5 sec cast), Flame Shock has 2 seconds to expire.
    00:01:30 Lava Burst is in the air.
    00:02:00 Flame Shock expires.
    00:02:30 Lava Burst hits the target.

Lava Burst crits.

2) Shaman casts Lava Burst (1.5 sec cast), Flame Shock has 1 second to expire.
    00:00:00 Shaman starts casting.
    00:01:00 Flame Shock expires.
    00:01:30 Lava Burst is in the air.
    00:02:00 Lava Burst hits the target.

Lava Burst may not crit.

Let's take a look at our example here.
    A rogue vs a paladin. Paladin decides to HoJ the rogue the moment rogue uses Vanish to reset.
    The progress:
    1) Paladin presses HoJ button, triggers the event from client side.
    2) HoJ call reachs the server. Server checks if there's a valid target, rogue is visible and hasn't vanished yet. *Here's the flaw, server does the check now*
    3) Rogue presses Vanish button, triggers the event from client side.
    4) HoJ is in the air, it hasn't reached the rogue yet.
    5) Server gets the Vanish demand, the rogue is in stealth now.
    6) HoJ reaches the rogue, hitting him in stealth.

This stuff happens in less than a second, so it is possible to think that lag might be causing it.
    I think that it would make more sense if HoJ was checked upon reaching its target, not at the moment it was triggered.

It is debatable which approach makes more sense but that's the reason you are getting blinded, HoJ'd, poly'd the moment you vanish. I know it sucks, but that's intended unless Blizzard agrees it's a mistake.

I would intentionally bear charge and bash and rogue I saw hitting clock and starting to move away. Works great.

Damn, Mithgroth. You're good.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3269549430

Asked the question on forums, really curious what people thinks about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithgroth View Post
    This stuff happens in less than a second, so it is possible to think that lag might be causing it.
    I think that it would make more sense if HoJ was checked upon reaching its target, not at the moment it was triggered.

It is debatable which approach makes more sense but that's the reason you are getting blinded, HoJ'd, poly'd the moment you vanish. I know it sucks, but that's intended unless Blizzard agrees it's a mistake.
    what and then the casting player wud recieve invalid target errors?

It needs to stay. Blinding another rogue who just vanished is clutch

I've seen rogues sap and stun each other on vanishes, I guess it's something that will either get fixed soon or people will have to adapt to it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamfy View Post
    It needs to stay. Blinding another rogue who just vanished is clutch
    Speaks the truth. Me HoJing a rogue's vanish or my priest putting up a DoT as it does it is quite crucial in certain situations - I figure it's working as intent, it's pretty much the same "problem" as was back in TBC and WotLK where really sick rogues could vanish death coils and nightelfs could meld certain spells etc.

Please do not ask Blizzard to remove one of the few things that increases the skill cap in this game (even if only ever so slightly).

Blinding a vanish in rogue v rogue is breaking the skillcap barrier.
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

Rogues having an extremely minor weakness? BLASPHEMY!

Best part is Blizzard will probably fix it ASAP because their balance team loves Rogues.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    SO wait your telling me you have permanent invis and theres a problem? Right well have you ever watched hollow man? Just because your invisible doesnt mean things cant hit you I dont see any problem here, you get stunned while your invisible.. so what, just gives you incentive to not stand next to people.
    You can't hit invisible and stealthed units unless you are AoE'ing.
    Not talking about stealth detection here, it's not about standing next to someone in stealth and got detected. Vanish is improved stealth as well, you can't detect vanish. (improved stealth says the tooltip)

The point is, that's the mechanics. Never tried it but it might apply elsewhere too.

Case 2: An angry warlock vs a mage.

Mage is close to dying, warlocks starts to cast shadow bolt.

1) Lock finishes the casting.
    2) Goes to server, checks the mage, casting confirmed.
    3) The bolt is in the air, mage iceblocks.
    4) Bolt hits the mage, mage dies in iceblock. (because the mage didn't iceblock before the cast)

Need confirmation on this one, it's not tested, I might be mistaken. That's how it goes assuming that logic is correct.

Isn't it wierd to die in an iceblock, in case this is true?

i feel you bro

but the only thing that annoys me about this is being caught by an aoe fear while in stealth

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khonorum View Post
    i feel you bro

but the only thing that annoys me about this is being caught by an aoe fear while in stealth
    That's really not what the OP is talking about though. If you're getting aoe feared in stealth you're positioning is bad. He's more or less talking about getting cc'd after a vanish or entering stealth.

Probably latency =x?
    Last edited by wowkryptikk; 2012-01-25 at 03:39 AM.

Deleted
    The only solution i can come with at this hour is something like a 10-15 sec spell/abilities queue for every player, but i guess it will be a pain to implement that.
    How does this help us ?

0:0:0 (begin casting poly) - mage
    0:1:29 (vanish -> sending to server) - rogue
    0:1:30 (done poly -> sending to server) - mage

Now the actual real problem is who laggs more because my solution will fix only one thing.
    Mage poly gets there first (recorded in the queue), the rogue vanish only gets a error message.
    But if rogue has a better connection and his vansh request gets first the mage gets a error message.
    So this will solve maybe one part of the problem.

0:0:0 (begin casting poly) - mage
    0:1:29 (vanish -> sending to server) - rogue
    0:1:30 (done poly -> sending to server) - mage

1)
    0:1:32 (vanish request go to server) - recorded
    0:1:33 (poly cast denied , vanish was the first on queue)

2)
    0:1:32 (poly gets to server) - recorded
    0:1:33 (vanish gets to server, denied - poly on the rogue)

My guess a priority queue might be the solution, but it's hard to implement on every server for every player.

10+ Year Old Account
    So let me get this straight, you vanish, still are hit with a CC that was timed at the vanish, but are INVISIBLE and CANT BE TARGETED OR HIT WITH DIRECT DAMAGE, and you are complaining because this is limiting your survival. Are you using recuperate or playing with a healer like a Ret Paladin or Resto Shaman or Disc Priest? How are you possibly dying?

Somehow all the rogues that make up 18% of 2400+ arena are overcoming this terrible issue. So maybe it is ok to leave this one in.

Ah who am I kidding they probably just delayed 4.32 to fix this issue for rogues. /facepalm
    Last edited by Korgoth; 2012-01-25 at 07:12 AM.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.