Thread: Why level 80?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    Do be honest, normal leveling curve in GW1 is hitting level 20 ON the doppleganger. Yes you can get it before that, hell I had a character who was level 20 before it hit the Maguuma, who cares? People level in their own way, GW1 Prophecies wasn't a game where you needed to rush to max level to enjoy playing the game.
    Legendary Defender of Ascalon is proof that it was 'possible' to get to level 20 early, but it was pretty pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Legendary Defender of Ascalon is proof that it was 'possible' to get to level 20 early, but it was pretty pointless.
    You chose the ultimate grind o' grinds, and it has been buffed INSANELY, you can easily get it now compared to the past.

You chose the ultimate grind o' grinds, and it has been buffed INSANELY, you can easily get it now compared to the past.
    yh i think i was lvl 9 when i left...and didn't do stuff like handing quests in later to max xp.
    It's just a case of dedicating a char to it now and doing the dailies.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can also get LDoA and Survivor on the same character as well. Death leveling is faster, but you can do the dailies over and over for Survivor.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by iCandy View Post
    You know..there are people that never played GW1..

You shouldn't go and assume because you did something, everyone else in the world did.

And I'll bet you a $1000 it took you longer than 2 days to level to 20 your first time. If it didn't then you
    A: have way too much time on your hands
    B: Didn't read any quest dialog.
    Yeahhh this. I'm pretty sure when Prophecies launched it took me a few weeks to hit 20, I was somewhere in the Crystal Desert at the time. Hell, I'm willing to bet I was still doing pre-searing 2 days in (granted I stayed there longer than most). Even for new players starting out with Factions or Nightfall I'm pretty sure it took them more than 2 days to finish Shing Jea/Istan (even then, probably ~lvl17-18).

^

I have to disagree with Factions. It is easily the fastest of the three campaigns in leveling speed. It also has the highest difficulty curve or jump (typically you would be around level 14 or so when leveling the island to go to KC where the mobs were level 20).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arngrim310 View Post
    So pretty much as the title asks, why do you think they decided to make the starting level cap so high? It seems like 50-60 would be a much better place to begin so when they release expansions with level cap increases it won't seem like such a long task. I understand leveling in GW2 is going to be a very new and fresh take on the leveling process, but it does seem a bit daunting.
    I think, dont quote me, but I bet they have 80 levels full of epic content. I dont think it will matter with GW2 to be honest. It doesnt strike me as the type of game that "Starts at Level 80" like WoW.

It was still easy in the past. Just took a long time like most achievements/goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It was still easy in the past. Just took a long time like most achievements/goals.
    Did you see me mentioning hard in my post? It's an insane grind, that's all.

Um, you kinda did.

I was speaking to that. DoA wasn't difficult to obtain, just time consuming.

Um, you kinda did.
    He didn't ever state it was difficult, he called it a grind which implies no skill no fun time wasting to achieve something, he also said it got EASIER meaning just less was needed than even before the nerfs, not that it was originally difficult.

And I said despite making the grind being "easier" it was never that much of a burden aside from time.

Um, you kinda did.

I was speaking to that. DoA wasn't difficult to obtain, just time consuming.
    Um, no he didn't. "You can easily get it now compared to the past" ... As in, do some daily quests that take half an hour for a few months, or grind boss mobs and get it in 2 weeks, compared to: death level yourself by leaving your computer running 24/7 for MONTHS.

And I said despite making the grind being "easier" it was never that much of a burden aside from time.
    Easier doesn't imply it was hard in the first place.
    Example:
    Locked front door: Insert key turn handle profit
    Unlocked front door: turn handle profit
    The second is "easier" and less time consuming than the first, but the first was far from difficult...

10+ Year Old Account
    Grind means time spent which doesn't mean difficulty.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Depends on how you view grind. But okay, fine. It's easier now than before and less time consuming.

Personally I would like more leveling. I love the process. I always enjoy the "grind" in any MMO I play. I get to explore the world and see how my character fits into it.

The level cap means nothing. It is the amount of exp needed (and the amount you receive for quests/mobs) that affects the time it takes.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    With scaling and sidekicking, levels are really irrelevant.
    I agree with this. I was thinking about why level 80 earlier on today.

I'd rather it be level 20, and it took 2 hours per level. You can still play the game because the whole game, is the game the level really doesn't matter. Buut, heh. ANets choice. ^^

Why not 80? Why 50 to 60? Is it because WoW started off with 60 as the level cap in vanilla, and is doing the same thing with D3? In D&D rpg's 20 used to be the level cap, and in 4th edition it became 30. In most other rpg's 99 or 100 was a generally well accepted level cap. What is wrong with 80?

Ehhh the more I think about it the more I think they just put two factors together (horribly oversimplified, of course):
    1) We want leveling to take X time (both in terms of getting 1 level up and the entire journey)
    2) We want you to go through Y dynamic event and/or Z personal story content before level capping

Voila! turns out it was closest to 80 levels.