Thread closed for "going on to long"

I am curious as to why a moderater closed this thread for quote: "going on to long".

a legitimate discussion was being had, there was no flaming, and it stayed on topic.

so umm...what the hell?

is there some new 2 page post limit i don't know about? or do are the mods around here now just so lock / close / ban happy that they will just close threads whenever they feel that i was done discussing a topic with people.

EDIT: It appears the mod deleted his post and reopened the thread. thank you.
    Last edited by Redmage; 2012-01-24 at 09:24 PM.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Doesn't look closed to me >.>.

Quote Originally Posted by Army of Darkness View Post
    Doesn't look closed to me >.>.
    The mod (or maybe a different one) deleted his post and reopened the thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    The mod (or maybe a different one) deleted his post and reopened the thread.
    Probably seems like the case. The front page of that thread already shows some of the mods participating in the thread, so it's unlikely that topic would've been of forbidden discussion.

Deleted
    the thread you are linking till is still open? or maybe reopened?

edit: and 3 ppl where faster then my typing

Quote Originally Posted by Muzual View Post
    Ignoring that one, threads are closed when they get too large because it causes some problems with the forums. That's why there are so many My Little Pony threads. If you look near the end of the first one, the problem was explained but I can't remember what it was.
    yes but we are talking about a new, 2 page long, still active thread.

not a 300 page super thread.

15+ Year Old Account
    In general, mods might close a thread if it's strayed far from the original topic, turned into a complete unsalvageable mess of flaming/trolling, or in general has turned non-productive. They might also temporarily close a thread to read more closely, evaluate whether it should be closed permanently, and issue any infractions, especially in fast-moving threads of a sensitive nature that require close moderation and are hard to keep up with.

If you ever have issues with a thread close, you're welcome to PM the mod who closed the thread with a suggestion as to why it should be kept open (in a nice fashion, please, not "fuck you asshole open my thread now"). You're also welcome to PM another mod on the board, a super mod, or me to take a second look.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzual View Post
    Ignoring that one, threads are closed when they get too large because it causes some problems with the forums. That's why there are so many My Little Pony threads. If you look near the end of the first one, the problem was explained but I can't remember what it was.
    I'm still mystified about this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychoblu View Post
    I'm still mystified about this.
    If you're mystified about why they like the show... that's a question that you'll have to resolve by asking them (nicely) or watching the show yourself.

If you're mystified about why we start new threads, it's because of issues related to to thread size in vBulletin. As threads get longer, there's more computation involved for the system in determining pagination, and at some point it makes more sense to lock the old thread and continue in a new thread.