View Poll Results: Do you want the old AV back?

Voters
174. This poll is closed
  • Yes. Yes! YES!!

98 56.32%
  • Oh hell no, I don't have 12+ hours to play one game.

33 18.97%
  • Eh, maybe not the old AV, but something close.

40 22.99%
  • ....AV didn't always have reinforcements?

3 1.72%
Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Post Do You Want Old AV Back?

Some of you remember the old AV. Back then, a match could go on for as little as 45 minutes, or it could last as long as a few days. There were NPCs, a lot of them actually, some of them hit like a ton of bricks (good luck taking a tower/bunker solo). Of course, who could forget these guys:

Sure, there was more PvE in the old AV, but there was also a lot more teamwork as well. Hell, I'm impressed if there's any form of teamwork in AV these days other than people shouting obscenities at one another, as well as the, "ALL INNNNNNNNNNN!!!!" spam.

The old AV was one of the few truly epic aspects of the game that everyone could participate in.

I would love to the original AV (with all the elites and patrols included) brought back to level 85 (and 90 with MoP) and without the reinforcement bullcrap. Naturally, AV would be removed from the random BG pool, so those only interested in farming honor/conquest points can continue on.

Or hell, I'd settle for two AVs: classic and modern. The modern AV (the one we see today) would still be in the random BG pool, and would still get a holiday. The classic AV would be something you have to queue separately for (perhaps only in a major city?) and separate from the other BGs.

So, what do you guys think?

10+ Year Old Account
    I love the classic and modern idea, of course i'd probably stay in classic AV more than anything

15+ Year Old Account
    Very much so! I miss the summoning of the bosses and actual pvp even if the map favors one side (not saying which). Today's AV is all about pve zerging and on the rare occasion that the zerg doesn't happen, then its one side is farmed at a choke in the map.

I would very much love to have the proper AV but I think people will only end up doing the same as they do now (ignoring the other team and racing to the generals).

I only started playing in TBC but I think it was no different in classic. The only difference between then and now is that people would stop to kill the captains, then race to the enemy bases to help kill the Warmasters.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2012-01-25 at 02:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes please, summoning the bosses (even though they were quite stupid in terms of AI) was so fun, felt like an actual battle

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yes, Oh god yes please give it back. The slaughter of 20424040 ally running our way as we summon our elemental thing. So much memories.

Field of Strife = Amazing.

Today's AV is just a PVE race. There's barely any PvP involved at all. The only time you're actually fighting another player is when the GYs get taken, and you spawn waaaaay back where you started.

Most of AV is spent running across the map and spamming buttons on NPCs, it really needs to be changed.

Deleted
    Basically, what the game needs is a battleground where we actually do PvP, regardless of any form of rewards.

The old AV was pretty much it: many players put together in a valley, fighting to death. That was the greatest way to farm HKs. Modern AV isn't it.

god yes

AV was so awesome. I would spend all day in there some days

The original AV would be hard to balance, so they would need to come up with something very clever. But yes, I loved the epic open-field battles, and that's why I prefer turtle games in current AV. The feeling you get when someone pops Bloodlust in a push into Stormpike GY...

Of course some kind of long battleground, but if there is going to be one, it has to at least be an upgrade. Old AV was great, but as it is said, if you are going to take an idea, at least improve on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    only if they take it out of the random battleground queue :-/

Ah, the bridge of doom.

The very thought gives me an erection.

...What? Deal with it.

Old AV certainly had its flaws but it was the most fun. Epic battles and actual PvP, unlike today's PvP where it's basically a PvE race to see who can kill the other general first without any players trying to directly stop them. If they went back and cleaned up some things, like making quest turn-ins less onerous to encourage more NPC reinforcement attacks, or making towers more equal, etc., it could be really good. Throw in a high, but still existent reinforcement limit, and you could have a long game that actually ended and didn't last over 24 hours. But that's probably not happening. Blizzard gave up on AV a long time ago.

The reinforcements mechanism has its place, in that battlegrounds should be something that you can join and see through from start to finish within a reasonable time frame.
    However yes for a battleground, very little actual battling or pvp takes place most of the time.

Oh hell no, I don't have 12+ hours to play one game.

^

That

Granted, I never played during that time frame of "old" AV. But all of the "glorious" stories that I've heard about it are dreadful.

10+ Year Old Account
    BC-era AV. 30-60 min matches and full sets of NPC turn-ins to add flavour.
    Undefined animosity is a device of the spineless, the means of a fool.

No, no, no, no. Because then we will remember WHY it had to be changed in the first place.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Bring it back, update the NPCs and we're golden. Maybe make each of the Lieutenants as strong as Balinda/Galv are now, buff Balinda/Galv to what Vann/Drek are now and buff Vann/Drek to something scary. I want to be encouraged to slay the enemy, stop them in their tracks, so the honor gain per kill needs to be a bit inflated.
    Last edited by Dald; 2012-01-25 at 03:24 AM.
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.