Need help choosing between 2 setups (Marest's sample & puppy of the month)

Hey guys, so I came across 2 setups which look promising and meet my needs more or less.
    I'd like to note that I'm a rookie at this so as much detail as possible would be appreciated.
    Also, my one and only desire is to run WoW on decent settings (medium-high I'm guessing) and to enjoy a fast and smooth gameplay.
    Not sure what more I should add, so please let me know, I just need help deciding which build would be more beneficial for my needs or maybe even offer me a different one.

The first one is from Marest's sample builds:

Budget Gaming 550
    MoBo: ASRock H67M (B3) – $79.99
    CPU: Intel i3 2100 – $124.99
    RAM: G.Skill 1333MHz 2x2GB – $27.99
    GPU: HIS Radeon 6850 – $149.99
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB – $84.99
    PSU: Enermax NAXN 450W – $44.99
    Case: Thermaltake V3 Black Edition – $43.99
    --------------------------------------------------
    Estimated Total Price – $557

The second one is the Puppy from 'Setup of the Month':

Case NZXT GAMMA Classic - $36
    Power Supply Corsair CX500 V2 - $48
    CPU AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition - $112
    Heatsink Corsair Air Series A70 - $22
    Motherboard ASUS M5A97 AM3+ 970 - $100
    Memory 4GB PNY Optima DDR3 10600 - $27
    Graphics Card XFX 6770 - $90
    Hard Drive Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB - $125
    DVD Asus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW - $20
    Total $580

Thanks in advance, Frex.

Edit: Oh sorry just noticed I didn't post this in the builds sub-category, please move it.
    Last edited by Frex; 2012-01-25 at 07:27 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    build #1, the intel build
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    The Enermax NAXN 450W and Corsair CX500V2 are basically the exact same PSU, so just get whichever is cheaper for you. Chaud's AMD based Puppy spends too much on certain components, but skimps on the graphics... A $500-600 PC shouldn't have a $100 mobo or a $125 HDD. I'd also say that an aftermarket heatsink is unnecessary (albeit it's actually one of the first things I'd add back to the system.)

Marest's build is quite similar to a suggested build I maintain: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=10023331

They both feature an i3-21xx, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, HD 6850 graphics, and a budget 400-500W PSU. The biggest difference is he elected to go with a slightly more expensive motherboard with just two memory slots, whereas I decided a cheaper H61 based board with four memory slots would make upgrading from 4GB easier (cheaper).

Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    The Enermax NAXN 450W and Corsair CX500V2 are basically the exact same PSU, so just get whichever is cheaper for you. Chaud's AMD based Puppy spends too much on certain components, but skimps on the graphics... A $500-600 PC shouldn't have a $100 mobo or a $125 HDD. I'd also say that an aftermarket heatsink is unnecessary (albeit it's actually one of the first things I'd add back to the system.)

Marest's build is quite similar to a suggested build I maintain: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=10023331

They both feature an i3-21xx, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, HD 6850 graphics, and a budget 400-500W PSU. The biggest difference is he elected to go with a slightly more expensive motherboard with just two memory slots, whereas I decided a cheaper H61 based board with four memory slots would make upgrading from 4GB easier (cheaper).
    Thank you so much.
    So if I'm intending to add more RAM (upgrade to 8gb) I should go with the H61 and it will give better results than a 2 memory slot?

Also, I kind of like the fancy looks of a computer, does it matter which computer case I pick?

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you intend to upgrade to 8GB later on the mobo in Marest's guide, you'd have to buy a 2x4GB kit and remove the existing 2x2GB kit. With the board in my guide, you just need to buy another 2x2GB kit or you could buy the 2x4GB kit and have 12GB of RAM.

This is the difference between the Intel H61 and H67 chipset: http://ark.intel.com/compare/52807,52806

The biggest features missing in H61 are SATA 6Gbps and Intel software RAID. As this is a budget build, I don't envision a high-end SATA 6Gbps SSD being part of its upgrade path.

Cheers everyone! I'm ordering a mixmatch of Demon's and Marest's build and I'll update here on how's it going.

Also, getting an ASUS 224t 22" to go along with it.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    Chaud's AMD based Puppy spends too much on certain components, but skimps on the graphics...
    While I agree with the majority of your post, I can't help but be bothered by this statement, as an AMD HD 6770 is by no means "skimping" on the graphics.

Example: To skimp on graphics would be to buy an i5-2500K but toss in a GTS 450 or GT 520.... like so many prebuilt machines are. A 6770 can be called a real gaming graphics card, is it as good as a 6870 or the like? No, but it's not that terrible either, it is a great performer, just it will not be putting out ultra in any newer games.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    By definition of "Skimp":
    intransitive verb

1.Informal to give or allow too little; be stingy; scrimp
    2.to keep expenses very low
    Skimped.

< grammar correction is bad. english isn't everyone's first language >
    Last edited by llDemonll; 2012-01-25 at 10:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even by definition of skimp, I would not consider the 6770 skimping, as it is still $90, and while sure, that's no $500 GTX 580/HD 7970 for instance, it is still not a $40 graphics card. THAT is keeping expenses low.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    It is though. Compared to the 6850 . Unimportant? The other costs more, another less. Pick accordingly.

I would have gone with a Z68 board so you can drop in a nice Ivy Bridge CPU in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    I would have gone with a Z68 board so you can drop in a nice Ivy Bridge CPU in the future.
    P67 boards will support Ivy too. ;p H61 and H67 I'm not sure, and I think Q67 may be a fellow supporter, as well.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    < grammar correction is bad. english isn't everyone's first language >
    Like it was mine o_o We are learning together!

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    It is though. Compared to the 6850 . Unimportant? The other costs more, another less. Pick accordingly.
    Exactly, both builds end up the same price... Chaud skimped or was stingy in selecting the HD 6770, and instead decided to include a more expensive motherboard, HDD, and aftermarket heatsink. I found those options inappropriate for a <$600 gaming PC.

Unless the OP actually needs the extra 250GB, the money would be better spent on graphics rather than post-flood HDD costs.
    Last edited by kidsafe; 2012-01-25 at 10:55 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    P67 boards will support Ivy too. ;p H61 and H67 I'm not sure, and I think Q67 may be a fellow supporter, as well.
    I believe that it was confirmed that all the chipsets (H61, H67, P67 and Z68) will support Ivy Bridge with a BIOS update. http://www.techpowerup.com/153756/Iv...dge-Entry.html

The new chipsets will be called B75, Q75, Q77, H77, Z75 and Z77. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4318/i...r-point-ssds/2

I see no reason for the OP to get a Z68 board simply because the budget barely allows it. You would have to put another $50-60 to get a decent Z68 board. If a strong upgrade path is of huge interest (i.e. if you plan on upgrading to Ivy Bridge and a new GPU within a year) it might be worth considering.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-01-25 at 11:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know Asus already put out a BIOS update for P67 boards, and likely the rest of their boards to support Ivy.
    "A flower.

An extra $40 or so to get a Z68 board that can actually be used for overclocking a nice Ivy Bridge CPU is well worth it. That and the ATX form factor over mATX.

10+ Year Old Account
    P67 won't be able to overclock IB even though it can overclock SB? Somehow I doubt this.
    "A flower.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    P67 won't be able to overclock IB even though it can overclock SB? Somehow I doubt this.
    I believe he basically meant Z/P-series boards as opposed to H/Q-series.