Thread: making videos

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

making videos

The title pretty much explains I never ventured into making movies for wow, but i was wanting to make pvp and pve videos for swtor. Amy suggestions on software to use. Also what type of music is good for most videos, any tips would be nice.

Also i have a pvp video from when my assassin was 45, in my Sig. not sure how good It is or not just trying to get proficient
    Last edited by bobsmith06; 2012-01-25 at 11:43 AM.

Deleted
    I suggest that you use Fraps for recording and Sony Vegas for editing. About the music, I don't know, you can get your video removed if you use copyright material but everyone does it so I guess it's nothing dangerous after all.

Deleted
    I too would recommend Fraps and Sony Vegas. Fraps is definitely the best video recording software out there, though it creates pretty large files so you'll have to have some extra space for that. The reason they are so big is because Fraps produces .avi files which give the best quality but aren't compressed.
    As for the editing program, you can go a lot of ways here. But from personal experience I'd say Sony Vegas is the best one to go with.

Music.. Well there's quite a bit of royalty free music you can use without any issues, so you may want to look into that a bit. If you are going to use music that does have copyright on it then do so at your own risk, you'll probably want to mask it a bit maybe with some talking or game sounds over it. But it's a risk either way. (Depends quite a bit what type of music you use exactly)

10+ Year Old Account
    For my videos I use FRAPs to record (make sure you have a big HDD because raw footage is very large) then add any effects/render it using sony vegas pro.

For music, search for "royalty free music" on google and you'll find loads of websites for music that you can use legally.

edit: i typed too slow and have been beaten :P

Deleted
    welcome to the vid making club, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

If you do go down the Sony Vegas route to edit your videos, then take the time to study a few tutorials, and possibly look for a few free templates
    that are available to download.

Also look up various guides on how to render videos properly, there are more than a few good tutorials on youtube that demonstrate what formats to render
    in (I use .mp4), and more importantly what settings to be used too (especially for film effects to make your Vid more sharper/clearer/colourful etc)

Looking forward to your future vids ^_^

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Now correct me if Im wrong but doesn't a YouTube, premium account allow you ro upload copyrighted content? I'll have to double check that when I get off. As far as everything else thanks for the tips anymore is greatly appreciated

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsmith06 View Post
    Now correct me if Im wrong but doesn't a YouTube, premium account allow you ro upload copyrighted content? I'll have to double check that when I get off. As far as everything else thanks for the tips anymore is greatly appreciated
    "Premium account"?
    I assume you're referring to a partnership.

No, definitely no. Not in the common sense, us partners can't go around using copyrighted music. That's a safe way to get into trouble. (I used something under a minute of the Star Wars into music and that alone gets blocked in numerous countries that don't have iTunes, it's a bit of an odd situation)

The only sort of copyrighted material you could use that otherwise could not would be gaming material. Say for example you have a YouTube channel with gaming content on it. You won't get a partnership by normal means (Unless it's maybe purely Minecraft as Mojang has specifically allowed for this to be used) and will have to go through either one of two companies; TheGameStation or Machinima. In general those are the only two ways you can start earning with gaming content. (There's a few ways around)

But copyrighted music is a no-go. We can't go using that anymore as non-partners could.
    (Maybe you're familiar with TotalBiscuit, I remember a recent video of his doing a "WTF is?" about a specific game that had copyrighted music during the menu screens and luckily he talks over it but if he were not to do that he could get issues with that)

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well thanks for the hasty replies, I'm sure ill figure something out. I don't plan on trying to profit its more for fun, when I'm not in the field