Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryonic View Post
    Also try to have the screen closer/further away.

I had a little tense eyes before but that went away when I started using two screens, guess thats because I move my eyes more often or something.
    Yes, moving your eyes can help - I find that I stare at the screen without blinking when raiding and it helps to make myself blink/look around more often.

Also, possibly an LED monitor - less strain on the eyes than regular.

Deleted
    So where should I go to check my eyes? Can I just go to a store where they sell glasses or something?

---------- Post added 2012-01-25 at 04:04 PM ----------

Oh and I also usually have a light on in my room.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    You can go to Wal-Mart vision center, to get it done (make appointment). That's wear I went. I had the doctor look at them, then bought my glasses, all in the same day.
    No such thing in Sweden.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    So where should I go to check my eyes? Can I just go to a store where they sell glasses or something?

---------- Post added 2012-01-25 at 04:04 PM ----------

Oh and I also usually have a light on in my room.
    Is the area where your monitor and keyboard having access to well lit light?

I could suggest some Gunnars, but they tend to be quite expensive, you should rather go get your eyes checked at an optician.
    http://www.gunnars.com/

Any known glasses brand store will probably do for your test
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    You might need glass's mate. I had the exact some problems last year, i went the doctors and they gave me a eye exam and turned out i needed them. I instantly saw the benefits, everything is clearer and no more headaches.

proper light in front of the computer...
    when i was younger i played whit total darkness as its much "cooler" and also makes you see whats on the screen easier, the problem is that your eyes really hurt after some time, so i got myself a great lamp here --->
    this way i never hurt my eyes, but then again , i have been gameing for? 18 years? counting my old sega 16bit, so my eyes maybe are used to it...

or you might need glasses.

else lower the light on your screen, the darker the less it strain on your eyes

-------below is Swedish, just talk about where to go to check your eyes----------------

Platinus
    eftersom du är svensk tar jag det här på svenska, gå till en "synoptik" osv, ett ställe där du bara köper glassögon, dem har alltid sånt nära butiken eller åtminstone har kontakt med sådana ställen där du kan kolla dina ögon.
    Last edited by Nivius; 2012-01-25 at 03:19 PM.

I decided to turn to you gamers on MMO-Champion for tips on this, considering you probably spend alot of time in front of your computer, getting headaches sometimes.

sometimes when gaming my eyes can suddently start to hurt even tho I havn't been playing for long, I've noticed that going to the bathroom and putting some cold water on your eyes or putting something cold on them can help, and I know, you're going to tell me to go out or go to bed or something but the problem is that this can happen during raiding or something and I refuse to just leave my guildies behind.

Since you're gamers I'm sure you have some tips and tricks on what to do when you get headaches and such. I've been trying to take painkillers but I realize that's not very good for my kidney.
    There can be many different causes for this.

Are you tired?
    Is your eye dried and red?
    Do you need to wear glasses but chose not to?
    How is your position related to monitor?
    Is your room dark or well lit?

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Is the area where your monitor and keyboard having access to well lit light?

I could suggest some Gunnars, but they tend to be quite expensive, you should rather go get your eyes checked at an optician.
    http://www.gunnars.com/

Any known glasses brand store will probably do for your test
    I concur with this, I used to get bloodshot eyes from using my computer so much. I am a computer programmer and I raid, so that translates to some very long hours on a PC... a set of Gunnar glasses fixed that.

You might look like a fool, but at least your eyes have less strain put on them. They take some getting used to though, stick with them if you go that route.
    Last edited by Takamuri; 2012-01-25 at 03:20 PM.
    Taka of Deus Vox

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elenion View Post
    There can be many different causes for this.

Are you tired?
    Is your eye dried and red?
    Do you need to wear glasses but chose not to?
    How is your position related to monitor?
    Is your room dark or well lit?
    Yes, I'm a bit tired.
    I am not sure if I need to wear glasses but judging from the people in this thread i probably do.
    I'm about a meter from the monitor with my eyes in about the center.
    I usually play with a pretty well lit room. I used to play in darkness but then I think my eyes got hurt easier.
    Last edited by mmoc9eb0d33af1; 2012-01-25 at 03:27 PM.

Go to the eye doctor. It's generally cheap for the exam. Last time I had an eye exam it was like 30 USD I think. Hell, one of the standard questions is if you get headaches when focusing for a long time (such as reading or looking at the computer).

Then you can have them tinted ridiculous yellow if you'd like, or send your prescription off to gunner.

If you need glasses, those will not be cheap, but it's better to find out if you need prescription lenses before spending a fortune on something else, or you will just find yourself spending a fortune twice.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I used to get massive headaches and eye pain when gaming and then I got an eye exam and found out the computer had fucked my eyes right up, and I needed glasses. I used to have 20/20 vision.

Yes, I'm a bit tired.
    I am not sure if I need to wear glasses but judging from the people in this thread i probably do.
    I'm about a meter from the monitor with my eyes in about the center.
    I usually play with a pretty well lit room. I used to play in darkness but then I think my eyes got hurt easier.
    General wisdom is that you want to use computer in a well lit room in order to less strain your eyes and having your monitor at the eye level or lower is also for similar reason. If your vision is less than optimal (do you need to squint eyes to see stuff or do you tend to move your body closer to monitor to read texts, most young people with bad vision have myopia or nearsighted) then yea your eyes will get stressed more than usual.
    Last edited by Elenion; 2012-01-25 at 03:51 PM.

Deleted
    I don't seem to have bad sight. But that's the thing, I might do since I've never used glasses.

But no, I don't have to squint to see things.

I don't seem to have bad sight. But that's the thing, I might do since I've never used glasses.

Then try to get plenty of rest and take some vitamins and see if your eyes hurt. If it still does then you will need to see a doctor and examine.

Don't get me wrong, if it actually hurt enough to be serious then you should seek a professional help ASAP but since you came here to ask people I said what I said assuming you want to try what you can to solve it before moving to next step.

I don't know what is humility level is like in Sweden during winter but low humility causes dry eyes and it can sort of hurt.
    Last edited by Elenion; 2012-01-25 at 04:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes my eyes hurt from sitting too close. Up until last year I thought my eyes were pretty decent. Then I hung out with my nephew and tried on his glasses and I was shocked. It was like friggin HD vision. I could see further and better than I have I really ten years. Still haven't gone to get glasses yet but its coming when I get some money.

I was dumb to think my eyes were okay. I've been a computer gamer for about 16 years and also do web design. So I spend a significant portion of my day on the computer.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

It happens so gradually that you might not notice. I thought my eyes were fine until I popped on my new glasses and realized how clear everything was. It was amazing how bad my eyes were and I had no idea.

I don't squint either, but I didn't realize how much I was straining my eyes to see clearly before I got my glasses. After I got them, my eyes relaxed while wearing them and I got fewer headaches.

I've recently noticed that since I upgraded from a 22" to a 27" monitor, my eyes are much more tired. I'm guessing that because of the size, your eyes dart around a lot more in such quick action games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mteq View Post
    - take a break every 2 hours. for atleast 10 minutes and preferably go somewhere you can look long distance. (out the window etc)
    - sit further away from your monitor. 0-1 mtr is usually not particulairly healthy.
    - turn down the brightness and contrast of your monitor.
    This is what I got told aswell, try it!

10+ Year Old Account
    this happens to me ONLY when i play wow. thats why i quit, all other games i am completely fine.