10+ Year Old Account

Enhancing image resolution software?

so i use GIMP to enhance/increase size of my images when i need to but usually the program messes up the fine details of the image and therefore ruins it. obviously it does a better job than Paint but still i would prefer i lost no quality in the image. is there a software that can increase the image's resolution with high detail? thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    so i use GIMP to enhance/increase size of my images when i need to but usually the program messes up the fine details of the image and therefore ruins it. obviously it does a better job than Paint but still i would prefer i lost no quality in the image. is there a software that can increase the image's resolution with high detail? thanks a lot
    First of all, increasing image resolution while maintaining high detail or enhancing detail is impossible. The reason why image is blurred when you stretch the size of an image is due to the fact your software calculates and fill in unavailable data, the detail information you are looking for never existed and will not magically appear. There are numerous ways to "enhance" the quality to make it look less blurry but it doesn't really solve actual problem.

TL;DR - Always go from large to small resolution and not the other way around unless you are dealing with a vector graphic.
    Last edited by Elenion; 2012-01-25 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elenion View Post
    First of all, increasing image resolution while maintaining high detail or enhancing detail is impossible. The reason why image is blurred when you stretch the size of an image is due to the fact your software calculates and fill in unavailable data, the detail information you are looking for never existed and will not magically appear. There are numerous ways to "enhance" the quality to make it look less blurry but it doesn't really solve actual problem.

TL;DR - Always go from large to small resolution and not the other way around unless you are dealing with a vector graphic.
    This. CSI Software does not exsist as yet =(

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    Unless you have a vector image you can't. CSI isn't real life.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Unless you have a vector image you can't. CSI isn't real life.
    Some programmes allow you to make vector images out of ordinary ones, though. They're not perfect, but they will often allow you to increase the size (if not altogether massively) without any really visible loss of detail. I use Adobe Illustrator on occasion for this. You basically tell the programme to make a 'drawing' of the picture in question, but make it as detailed as the programme can. Sure, it might take a minute or two to work on, but the result is probably the closest thing you can find to a vector image of an ordinary one.

Image enhancing software exists, based upon very complex math and requiring A LOT of cpu power, we have one in my lab (developed in-house).

Comercially available? Dunno.
    I liek fysix

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by goki View Post
    Image enhancing software exists, based upon very complex math and requiring A LOT of cpu power, we have one in my lab (developed in-house).

Comercially available? Dunno.
    Sounds legit.

You can't just magically increase resolution with pixel-based images without quality loss, vector would be your best shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Blunt View Post
    Sounds legit.

You can't just magically increase resolution with pixel-based images without quality loss, vector would be your best shot.
    You can, it is called statistics.
    I liek fysix

Nope. Lets say there's a dot on my image, 2 by 2 pixels. What is it? A bug? A speck of dirt? A piece of dust in the lens? A candy wrapper? A piece of cat's poop?
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

im pretty sure Adobe had some Photoshop CS6 solution to CSI's Image resolution enhancement. It wont enhance it enough to see a person's skin cells though.

Quote Originally Posted by reverendball View Post
    Yup, every expert knows you have to zoom before you can enhance, it makes all the diffrence

10+ Year Old Account
    For what it's worth, photoshop's (5.5) image size -> increase size + filter -> surface blur does a decent job of it. But, as others have said, nothing's great at it.

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    Nope. Lets say there's a dot on my image, 2 by 2 pixels. What is it? A bug? A speck of dirt? A piece of dust in the lens? A candy wrapper? A piece of cat's poop?
    Yes that is why you don't do statistics on 2 numbers....
    Google monte carlo methods imaging.
    I liek fysix

What you're talking about is artificially increasing resolution by having the program "guess" what it would look like at a higher resolution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elenion View Post

so there are softwares that are able to shrink down but still keep their detail? sometimes when i shrink down some of my stuff in the preview it looks perfect but once i click the OK it just blurs everything.

so what softwares do i need to use to have better lager to small? too bad we don't have CSI stuff yet, they could be put into better use than a bad drama.