Page 1 of 3
LastLast

A tear in my eye

Let me say first off, it is amazingly refreshing to go to the one community that has actually made me have faith in the MMO-genre again. I played WoW for 6 years and pretty much stopped reading the forums after 2 years. I currently play SW:ToR and the forums are so abysmal that I stopped reading them (all the time) about a week later. Long story short, I am so ridiculously surprised at how much better and mature the GW2 community appears to be. I'm actually really surprised that I really haven't seen any troll posts here or on GW2 Guru. And the amount of GW2 information here is astonishing.

Now that all that sappy nonsense is out of the way!

I may have 100% missed the section regarding this. So I see that when you put on different weapons you will get more abilities per weapon and what not so people will switch out weapons for various reasons. I am playing on playing a necromancer and my question is, do weapons affect this class as well? And if so how would spells work in terms of unlocking new spells? Pardon me if this is a ridiculous question, I'm just a bit at a loss at where to find this information out if its even available.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, each weapon gives you a different set of abilities and this applies for all classes.

For the necromancer:

Mainhand
    Axes - Close ranged dmg and enemy buff removal.
    Daggers - Close range dmg and health stealing.
    Scepters - Long ranged dmg and area control.

Offhand:
    Daggers - Support
    Focus -Control and Debuff
    Warhorn - Life Steal and Control.

Two-handed:
    Staff - Dmg and Support.
    Last edited by Snow White; 2012-01-25 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crabsy View Post
    Let me say first off, it is amazingly refreshing to go to the one community that has actually made me have faith in the MMO-genre again. I played WoW for 6 years and pretty much stopped reading the forums after 2 years. I currently play SW:ToR and the forums are so abysmal that I stopped reading them (all the time) about a week later. Long story short, I am so ridiculously surprised at how much better and mature the GW2 community appears to be. I'm actually really surprised that I really haven't seen any troll posts here or on GW2 Guru. And the amount of GW2 information here is astonishing.

Now that all that sappy nonsense is out of the way!

I may have 100% missed the section regarding this. So I see that when you put on different weapons you will get more abilities per weapon and what not so people will switch out weapons for various reasons. I am playing on playing a necromancer and my question is, do weapons affect this class as well? And if so how would spells work in terms of unlocking new spells? Pardon me if this is a ridiculous question, I'm just a bit at a loss at where to find this information out if its even available.
    Are you the same crabby from OCN

Hi

well, this forum isn't without trolls, a lot of subtle ones too, but you're right, a lot of very nice guys here!
    You wanna try the skilltool, play around with it and then ask questions right away

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en

10+ Year Old Account
    The first 5 skills on the action bar for every profession (class) depend on the weapon(s) you're wielding. Every profession except the Elementalist* can actively swap weapons in combat, swapping skill sets in the process. For the Necromancer specifically, you can use:

Staff
    Scepter + Focus
    Scepter + War Horn
    Scepter + Dagger
    Axe + Focus
    Axe + War Horn
    Axe + Dagger
    Dagger + Focus
    Dagger + War Horn
    Dagger + Dagger
    Spear (aquatic only)
    Trident (aquatic only)

Two-handed weapons (such as the staff) use action bar slots 1-5, while MH + OH combos use slots 1-3 for skills tied to the MH and slots 4 and 5 for skills tied to the OH.

When you first equip a certain weapon, you will automatically have access to one spell or attack tied to that weapon, and will slowly unlock all the other skills through repeated use of that weapon.

*Elementalist skills are tied to the weapon set they're using too, but also to their Elemental Affinity. The former cannot be swapped in combat for this particular profession but the latter can.

Edit: I guess technically the Engineer can't weapon swap in combat either, but they can swap "kits."

Here are some sources for this information if you want to dig a little deeper:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...iated.-READ-ME!
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List...omancer_skills
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skill
    http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfE_Xu9H1Bw
    Last edited by MissCleo; 2012-01-25 at 05:51 PM.

Weapons do affect your attacks that are available, I can't post links yet but there is some info on GuildWars2 wiki under List of Necromancer Skills. As for unlocking weapon related skills you should have 1 ability unlocked in order to use that weapon, the skills should unlock quickly as you use your choice weapon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, after a while, people seemed to get bored with their old console games (around the time at the end of TBC) and I noticed a huge increase on WoW of complete and utter (for lack of a better term) douchebags. They yell, pinch, bite, scratch, and b*tch until they get their way. Well, Blizzard ignored them in Wrath and did a fine job on it. Then they listened to them a bit in Cata and it didn't turn out the way Blizzard had wanted it. So, for Mists of Pandaria, Blizzard is telling the trolls/naysayer/douches/whiners/etc to pretty much "f*** off" and they'll be doing it their way again finally!

But yeah, the Guild Wars 2 community I doubt will be too bad, especially since GW2Guru does keep a strict eye on their forums. And in all honesty, I hope ArenaNet never makes any Official Forum, because I know the type of person who would be going there often (trolls for one). But so far I don't see many bad posters/players/people in these forums, and I'm glad to be part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    Oh why yes I am! Who is this!? EDIT: Haha never mind I just saw your OCN handle on the GW2 news post at OCN.

And thank you everyone else for the responses. It makes it a bit more clear to me now. So the weapons you wield will give different abilities per class? I think. I thought that no matter the class if you had an Axe equipped for example everyone could do that whirlwind move.

10+ Year Old Account
    So the weapons you wield will give different abilities per class? I think.
    Right. A Necromancer has three Axe skills, and a Warrior has three completely different Axe skills.

I thought that no matter the class if you had an Axe equipped for example everyone could do that whirlwind move..
    No, the skills you gain from each weapon are unique to your profession (class).

Quote Originally Posted by Freehoof View Post
    Right. A Necromancer has three Axe skills, and a Warrior has three completely different Axe skills.

Alrighty that makes PERFECT sense to me now. Thank you for clearing that up! On a side note, I really can't wait for this to come out, the difficulty makes me curious tho. I've seen a lot of video's with the Shatterer and Tequatyl(spelling?) world event dragons. I'm gonna assume they were turned for the demo purposes, but I wonder how hard they will actually be with the scaling system for people over/under level.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freehoof View Post

It does however keep the weapon in account for the playstyle of that weapon set. An axe for the necro will still be magic damage, but close range. A staff is long range. So no whirlwind indeed, but an axe stays an axe. To get close to enemies and shred them.

---------- Post added 2012-01-25 at 07:04 PM ----------

Alrighty that makes PERFECT sense to me now. Thank you for clearing that up! On a side note, I really can't wait for this to come out, the difficulty makes me curious tho. I've seen a lot of video's with the Shatterer and Tequatyl(spelling?) world event dragons. I'm gonna assume they were turned for the demo purposes, but I wonder how hard they will actually be with the scaling system for people over/under level.
    People are sidekicked to the max level of the zone. So, say the shatterer is intended for lvl. 45 and the zone is set for a maximum of level 50(just random numbers here), even if you are level 80, your power will be downscaled to level 50 so you won't be uberstrong in that fight. This keeps events interesting and challenging.
    Last edited by mmoccf2a3d971d; 2012-01-25 at 06:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post

- on a side note, id say 50% of the MMO community is "Crabby" for some reason. I personally can't wait for GW2 to come out.. I mean SWTOR is awesome, and I still love WOW - But the more the better IMO (come on competition means people HAVE TO TRY FOR YOU MONIES $$$).

Quote Originally Posted by Vewen View Post
    It does however keep the weapon in account for the playstyle of that weapon set. An axe for the necro will still be magic damage, but close range. A staff is long range. So no whirlwind indeed, but an axe stays an axe. To get close to enemies and shred them.

---------- Post added 2012-01-25 at 07:04 PM ----------

People are sidekicked to the max level of the zone. So, say the shatterer is intended for lvl. 45 and the zone is set for a maximum of level 50(just random numbers here), even if you are level 80, your power will be downscaled to level 50 so you won't be uberstrong in that fight. This keeps events interesting and challenging.
    Oh thats awesome, great way to make it so you can't power house through low level content as bad. So in essence there is really no stressful reason to get to 80 other than to see the zones/story/new abilities? Which would be refreshing from powerleveling every new toon I make

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    - on a side note, id say 50% of the MMO community is "Crabby" for some reason. I personally can't wait for GW2 to come out.. I mean SWTOR is awesome, and I still love WOW - But the more the better IMO (come on competition means people HAVE TO TRY FOR YOU MONIES $$$).
    Oh man whenever you see a Crabby654 its most likely always me! I'm in a bit of an awkward stance in my MMO-Life at the moment. I quit WoW for SW:ToR just because I had my stint of fun in WoW for the time I played it (vanilla - cata) and I just got sick of the same old same old (raids/pvp). ToR has been a great DIVERSION for me and as awesome as the voice overs are, it just doesn't have that spark for me. Which is lame because I'm the GM of a raiding guild in ToR so when GW2 comes out it's going to be an unusual transition haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vewen View Post
    Excellent point, and a good reminder of how they're aiming to make the combat in GW2 feel organic and intuitive in a way. Thanks for clarifying this point!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well last night I watched an epic video of the Necromancer in under water combat. He has 2 more weps for under water, one is a spear, and one is a trident. Im totally looking forward to GW2, from what we have seen, there isnt much to complain about.

The crux is going to be if the game is responsive as WoW. If it is, it could go down in history as the 'WoW Killer', but if performance is shoddy and not tight and snappy, it will be 'Random MMO #123342'.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Well last night I watched an epic video of the Necromancer in under water combat. He has 2 more weps for under water, one is a spear, and one is a trident. Im totally looking forward to GW2, from what we have seen, there isnt much to complain about.

The crux is going to be if the game is responsive as WoW. If it is, it could go down in history as the 'WoW Killer', but if performance is shoddy and not tight and snappy, it will be 'Random MMO #123342'.
    Good gravy, playing a Sith Assassin in The Old Republic, with the ability delay/response issues it really makes me want to just stop playing the game. It's pretty horrific for melee in PvP

I really hope it won't be binned as a random MMO, but if they deliver then it's definitely going to be something epic!

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed. Im playing SWTOR too, and Im loving the delivery of the story, but the ability delay is just not cutting it for me.

If GW2 nails the game play down, it could blow us all away. *fingers crossed* It is going to come out this year, so we will know soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I really hope it won't be binned as a random MMO, but if they deliver then it's definitely going to be something epic!
    EA's got too much money riding on it to write it off, but I don't think it's core design will let it be anything other than a wow clone.

Something I have been curious about. Now there is no end-game raids so that has me concerned a tiny bit.

Since I started playing WoW and various other MMO's I've pretty much been mentally conditioned to dedicated 8-12 hours a week/nights to a set schedule in an MMO that has a direct goal. My main concern is combating that mental condition because I wonder if the lack of raids in GW2 would be a lack of content for updates/expansions?

I 100% admit it will be nice to not HAVE to log in to do something but at the same time it almost makes me feel like I'm missing something. So I wonder how that will effect the raiding MMO community. That is my only hangup, not lack of raids, but almost a "Hey I'm 80" now I'm going to do hmm? I dunno I've been burned by so many MMO's I am most likely over analyzing this.

SWTOR put a sour taste in my mouth. Got it at the early release date and played till about 3 weeks ago. Probably the worst MMO launch of my life, since WoW. And when you go on their forums to discuss the problems or report bugs you have idiots that say "game is working fine for me" or "get a new computer bro", even though I'm running a PC that can play any game on ultra atm...sigh...

Because I leveled before they did and got to 50 well before they did and I got to experience all the problems at 50 I'm the asshole. It just goes to show that that immature, childish group of people that were in WoW, are now in SWTOR and willbe in GW2 as well, but they wont last long.

Why? Because their fragile little minds wont be able to grasp the innovation wrapped up in GW2.