Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    EA's got too much money riding on it to write it off, but I don't think it's core design will let it be anything other than a wow clone.
    Oh that original quote was noted at GW2 not ToR...ToR will be...um something mediocre

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabsy View Post
    Good gravy, playing a Sith Assassin in The Old Republic, with the ability delay/response issues it really makes me want to just stop playing the game. It's pretty horrific for melee in PvP

I really hope it won't be binned as a random MMO, but if they deliver then it's definitely going to be something epic!
    So far what we've seen from the convention vids is that the game is enormously responsive. Check TB vid for example(you might dislike his commentary, but his vids are just the best in visual quality). Seems pretty responsive.

And let's please not start bashing SWTOR, don't want to see nice people getting banned over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    The crux is going to be if the game is responsive as WoW. If it is, it could go down in history as the 'WoW Killer', but if performance is shoddy and not tight and snappy, it will be 'Random MMO #123342'.
    I would say that even if it is everything I'm hoping for, it won't necessarily be a WoW killer because there are no instanced 10/25 man raids. There are still way too many people caught up in trying to raid at a competitive level (whether at the server level, region level, or world level). I can't speak for the entire MMO community, but if GW2 is able to come through with the things they have announced so far and do so in a way that is not too buggy and is highly responsive you won't see me playing anything else for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vewen View Post
    So far what we've seen from the convention vids is that the game is enormously responsive. Check TB vid for example(you might dislike his commentary, but his vids are just the best in visual quality). Seems pretty responsive.

And let's please not start bashing SWTOR, don't want to see nice people getting banned over it.
    Oh TB I totally forgot about him post-Cata. I will def check this video out..hmm necro gameplay

Deleted
    .hmm necro gameplay
    I like how you think!

---------- Post added 2012-01-25 at 07:40 PM ----------

Since I started playing WoW and various other MMO's I've pretty much been mentally conditioned to dedicated 8-12 hours a week/nights to a set schedule in an MMO that has a direct goal. My main concern is combating that mental condition because I wonder if the lack of raids in GW2 would be a lack of content for updates/expansions?
    The massive fights will be the elite DE's that you can find in the open world and there's even an entire zone dedicated to elite DE's. They are just putting the events where you need a group of players out in the open world, rather than in an instanced zone. How difficult they'll be in live is unknown at this moment though. But Anet assured us that there can be no griefing. Bad players can join, but will die, causing the boss to scale down again. But those DE's sure could be done with a group.

For the most difficult content, you go the dungeons. They are smaller than WoW raids(5 people) but Anet assured us that they are the toughest thing in the game and will require a coordinated group.

Quote Originally Posted by Vewen View Post
    I like how you think!

---------- Post added 2012-01-25 at 07:40 PM ----------

The massive fights will be the elite DE's that you can find in the open world and there's even an entire zone dedicated to elite DE's. They are just putting the events where you need a group of players out in the open world, rather than in an instanced zone. How difficult they'll be in live is unknown at this moment though. But Anet assured us that there can be no griefing. Bad players can join, but will die, causing the boss to scale down again. But those DE's sure could be done with a group.

For the most difficult content, you go the dungeons. They are smaller than WoW raids(5 people) but Anet assured us that they are the toughest thing in the game and will require a coordinated group.
    Now that is an interesting take on the "hardest" difficulty content. I'm curious as to how hard those will actually be, less people = less room for error. I'm starting to feel better about the whole no end-game raiding, I think there will be plenty to do regardless. I could roll an alt if I really wanted to, but I'm more of a 1 character kinda guy

Deleted
    Now that is an interesting take on the "hardest" difficulty content. I'm curious as to how hard those will actually be, less people = less room for error. I'm starting to feel better about the whole no end-game raiding, I think there will be plenty to do regardless. I could roll an alt if I really wanted to, but I'm more of a 1 character kinda guy
    Pretty much. Doubt there'll be lots of room for people to get carried. And DE's are repeatable and always happening, so combined with professions and WvWvW and minigames and all, I don't think you won't find something fun to pass time.

Deleted
    Careful OP, the SW forums were awesome before the launch of the game too, now it's full of rampant trolling and ass*****.
    Just saying, all communities go to hell pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    Careful OP, the SW forums were awesome before the launch of the game too, now it's full of rampant trolling and ass*****.
    Tends to happen when the community goes from "People who are really looking forward to the game" to "People who play the game".

Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    Well what I feel like I have noticed so far:

SW:ToR Hype was RAMPANT before launch but a lot of the responses/comments/concerns was that it was basically going to be WoW in Space, before launch.

GW2 Hype that I am seeing appears to be people that are generally happy with what its shaping up to be. I haven't seen a lot of super concern like the WoW in Space references in the ToR hype.

That is basically what is keeping my hopes up, but I do agree communities do degrade fast.

Well what I feel like I have noticed so far:

SW:ToR Hype was RAMPANT before launch but a lot of the responses/comments/concerns was that it was basically going to be WoW in Space, before launch.

GW2 Hype that I am seeing appears to be people that are generally happy with what its shaping up to be. I haven't seen a lot of super concern like the WoW in Space references in the ToR hype.
    I noticed that as well. SWTOR's gameplay is close enough to WoW to inevitably draw comparisons. At the end of the day, everything WoW has but SWTOR's doesn't become a minus in people's minds. The sanest way to go is to go without preconceived ideas; that way every feature you encounter is a plus. IMO GW2 is different enough to ease this other approach.

Even then we have a number of posts worrying about no raids, or no gear progression, or whatever. Again, I think it's better to go with an open mind and judge the game as a whole once we played it or have enough good information.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
    I noticed that as well. SWTOR's gameplay is close enough to WoW to inevitably draw comparisons. At the end of the day, everything WoW has but SWTOR's doesn't become a minus in people's minds. The sanest way to go is to go without preconceived ideas; that way every feature you encounter is a plus. IMO GW2 is different enough to ease this other approach.

Even then we have a number of posts worrying about no raids, or no gear progression, or whatever. Again, I think it's better to go with an open mind and judge the game as a whole once we played it or have enough good information.
    I'll admit to me its even a bit odd to not have any gear/raid progression, but games like WoW have it so burned into my skull. I feel like for a person like me who is so used to the EQ/WoW gamestyle it would take a bit of getting used too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll admit to me its even a bit odd to not have any gear/raid progression, but games like WoW have it so burned into my skull. I feel like for a person like me who is so used to the EQ/WoW gamestyle it would take a bit of getting used too.
    Once you try it and experience the absolute freedom of the design principals you will be hooked for life and everything else will seem far too restrictive by design. You are completely free to progress any way you like and you’ll find yourself spending the vast majority of your game time just having fun. No I haven't played it yet either but I have played MMO's with a very similar design concept, free of the gear grind based on skill progression and not raid centric, dated but extremely fun!

Deleted
    I initially felt that way too but after reading up a lot on Gw2, especially the excellent stickys here and watching several videos I gradually understood that this game is so different that it's really not comparable to WoW at all. After that it felt so nice to just let go of the old concept altogether and look forward to a total revamp of the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Morbius View Post
    Once you try it and experience the absolute freedom of the design principals you will be hooked for life and everything else will seem far too restrictive by design. You are completely free to progress any way you like and you’ll find yourself spending the vast majority of your game time just having fun. No I haven't played it yet either but I have played MMO's with a very similar design concept, free of the gear grind based on skill progression and not raid centric, dated but extremely fun!
    You sir, are making this sound more and more like Ultima Online....oh god I hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitus View Post
    I initially felt that way too but after reading up a lot on Gw2, especially the excellent stickys here and watching several videos I gradually understood that this game is so different that it's really not comparable to WoW at all. After that it felt so nice to just let go of the old concept altogether and look forward to a total revamp of the genre.
    When I first heard about GW2 last year (yes first time last year... ) I was like ehhh no raids pass. But honestly the more I've watched the more interested I am. Its hard to let go of an old concept. But like the first quote, freedom is something that has been missing from the genre and I am pretty stoked at the moment

You sir, are making this sound more and more like Ultima Online....oh god I hope so!

When I first heard about GW2 last year (yes first time last year... ) I was like ehhh no raids pass. But honestly the more I've watched the more interested I am. Its hard to let go of an old concept. But like the first quote, freedom is something that has been missing from the genre and I am pretty stoked at the moment
    Ultima Online om nom nom...

As long as people give this game a chance, I'm sure for most it will be incredibly refreshing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Morbius View Post
    Well, in GW2 there is gear, a ton of it, and it is important. But I dont think its dominating game play like "you need > 290 fire resist to beat this outdoor boss or your GG"..

Deleted
    Make sure you read the mass info sticky, there's a section about the skill bar!

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...iated.-READ-ME!

I had a couple more questions/concerns and didn't want to make a new thread so I'll use this one!

So I noticed there doesn't seem to a whole lot of guild info but one thing that caught my eye was you can join multiple guilds? So I wonder if this is like FFXI where you could have multiple Linkshells "guilds" and equip which one you want to be in at any time..hmm, I wonder if it would make guilds less exclusive?

Something else that I was thinking about. Obviously the game does not require a monthly fee but I wonder how frequent new content would come out? I actually have not played GW1 so I'm not 100% how often new expansions came out, just curious what you guys think about this!

So I noticed there doesn't seem to a whole lot of guild info but one thing that caught my eye was you can join multiple guilds? So I wonder if this is like FFXI where you could have multiple Linkshells "guilds" and equip which one you want to be in at any time..hmm, I wonder if it would make guilds less exclusive?

Something else that I was thinking about. Obviously the game does not require a monthly fee but I wonder how frequent new content would come out? I actually have not played GW1 so I'm not 100% how often new expansions came out, just curious what you guys think about this!
    They said when you log into your account you declare which guild you want to represent, Once you join a guild your whole account joins that guild. I dont think you can switch guilds while still in game, you may have to go back to the character selection screen.

About the game being updated. They have said they will have a live team that develops new events and will release them when a bunch are ready after they have been tested. So the game launches with 1500+ events and the live team will keep adding more and more. We will prolly also get more PvP maps in those updates or they will wait for expansions to release those.