Thread: my next pc

Post my next pc

this will be my first pc ive built for myself, i've always had a laptop before now.

(i picked these all out on newegg, took each piece and looked for a cheaper place to buy the same part. total comes to 633.19, if anybody was wondering)

just wondering if anybody had any suggestions on potential replacement parts, or if i'm overlooking anything. thanks in advance
    Last edited by tcaruth; 2012-01-25 at 06:14 PM. Reason: upgraded cpu

10+ Year Old Account
    That CPU is going to bottleneck you. I would recommend getting atleast the i3-2100. Also, you forgot a hard drive in your build.

Deleted
    That CPU is really low end.I suggest you buy an AMD six core CPU.They are really cheap for their perfomance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazert View Post
    That CPU is really low end.I suggest you buy an AMD six core CPU.They are really cheap for their perfomance.
    Lolwut? http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/203?vs=289

Anyway, everything looks good. Nothing is particularly out of place. Not a lot of room for improvement in that budget range. Enjoy. ^^

Deleted
    I would recommend you getting this motherboard instead and save yourself some money

MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 $122

Now if you don't plan on doing SLI (dual GPU's) you can save even more and get this one:

MB: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 $100

As for your RAM you can get some 1600MHz and same amount for basically same price:

RAM: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600MHz $44

Last but not least, if you like you could spend the saved $ (from the MB) and upgrade your CPU to the:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 $190

If you happen to live near a MicroCenter you can get the i3-2100 $100 or the i5-2500k $180 (best price/performance gaming chip out there)

EDIT: You can save another $10 by switching the PSU (if you're not doing SLI), to this one SeaSonic S12II 520 $60 in reality there is only a 24 Watts difference between the two.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2012-01-25 at 07:41 PM.

Deleted
    There's nothing wrong with the G860; it's essentially a downclocked i3 2100 without HT. It really is by no means a bad CPU, but as your budget allows it you should get something with a bit more juice (and the i3 2100 offers just that). But, in my opinion you should look to pick up the i3 2120 at least, and preferably the i5 2300. Recommended would be the i5 2500/k, but if you are pushing for a combo meant for games that prefer a strong GPU over CPU, then your distribution of budget might be wise. Still, a i3 2120 minimum, i5 2300 recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazert View Post
    i prefer to stick with intel, call it a personal choice. also,
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    back the the build..
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    I would recommend you getting this motherboard instead and save yourself some money
    done. also...
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    There's nothing wrong with the G860; it's essentially a downclocked i3 2100 without ....
    i think i can absorb the cost of upgrading to the i5-2500 [Link]

thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it. my last concern is the psu, but 600w should be enough, even with the upgraded cpu, correct?
    Last edited by tcaruth; 2012-01-25 at 07:55 PM.

Deleted
    The PSU you picked or the Seasonic I linked will be enough yes. Silverstone is roughly 504W and the seasonic one is 480W output. The i5-2500k is a good choice, especially at $180. Keep in mind the k version is unlocked meaning it can be overclocked, easily hitting 4.3GHz +- you will however need/want an aftermarket CPU heatsink to if you decide to do so. You can always buy that later on though, it runs fine at stock.

When/if you decide to OC you can get something good for around $25-50 like the Corsair A70 $25 after MIR || COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus $30

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    updated, it looks pretty good, i would change the case though personally as i dont find nxzt to be very quality or bang for your buck but to each his own. get an i5 2500k in there and youll really be doing biz.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
    i would change the case though personally as i dont find nxzt to be very quality or bang for your buck but to each his own.
    Besides personal taste and all that, the NZXT Gamma and Source 210 are some of the most well recommended and valued budget cases out there. I'm not saying thay are the only choice, but they are definitely good, reliable cases at that price range (unlike so many others).