Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

GW1 players and beta event access

I read through this thread on GW2Guru and the extreme RAEG throughout it really brought in the lulz. Since we seem to be more capable of reasonable discussion with our more modeset population here, I thought it'd be an interesting topic to discuss. While I expect the later beta weekend events to be as close to "open" as you can get, (sign up and "GG you're in") I imagine they'll be far more picky with the first few following the one for press next month. So the question posed is: should GW1 players have any priority in beta?

Arguments ranged from "ZOMG I DON'T HAVE GW1 SO ABSOLUTELY NOT" to "HURR I PLAYED GW1 FROM LAUNCH SO ABSOLUTELY YES," with a sprinkling of the entitled: "ANet owes us." Now, as a GW1 player from launch and owner of all campaigns, I would hope that I get at least a second look, but I can understand why ANet wouldn't want to play favorites.

ANet has always been aware of the fact that players treat open betas as demos, so maybe their level of concern isn't even that high. Part of me wants to join the "we supported you from the beginning, let us in first!!111!1" argument, but another part of me says we're already sold on this game, so let people who are curious and a bit less well-versed on the game in to give it a try and (hopefully) change their outlook on MMOs. We may lose some hype as the game takes longer to release, but we know we're getting it regardless. I've supported them for a long time, and been interested in GW2 with fluctuating anticipation since they announced the game oh so many years ago. Meanwhile I have one friend that started playing at the same time as me but never even made it through post-searing Ascalon, and another who never touched the game and is already in love with GW2. Which of us would be the most excited for beta, which would actually be the most useful tester? Will beta sway any of our decisions, or help from a viral marketing standpoint? (this is a rehtorical question, obviously it's me on all 3 counts )

So for everyone: the long-time GW1 players, the ones who quit 2 months after playing Prophecies, the new players who are fighting their way to 30/50 HoM points, and those who have never touched the game, what are your feelings on this - should it even be a consideration, and if so, how much of a role should it play?

I played GW1 and I think everybody should be treated with equal consideration. It may even improve their quality of results they receive from feedback.

first set of beta testers - those with previous beta testing experience taken first.
    second set - those who have shown they love the guild wars universe
    third set - anyone.

And this is from someone who played guildwars for all of a week years ago. Always let your valued customers in first. Give them some love.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't play GW and I am against only letting in GW1 people (or letting them in first) because they think they 'should have the right'. ANet owes them nothing. The beta is for ANet, not the betatesters (us).

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much every post I've read on Guru about beta access is people campaigning for some group to which they belong to be invited to beta.
    It's quite sad.

As I said over there in a rare Guru post , the open beta is a marketing exercise to help sell the game, so why would ArenaNet try to attract people that are already an absolute certainty to buy the GW2?
    Last edited by Mif; 2012-01-25 at 08:43 PM.

Deleted
    imo they should just pic random people, and they way to do that is to take randoms that are signed up for their newsletter, easy and a fair way

Deleted
    Even though I played Guild Wars 1 I don't think they should pull a lot of people from that player base. GW2 really is very different from the first one. Inviting some of the active GW1 accounts surely doesn't hurt, but they should not put too much focus on it and try to get a broader set of players.

Also, since these are preview events more than real beta tests at this point, I think inviting many people via Facebook, press and fansite contests, forums or similar means helps them get the word out more.

Real beta should be a job, and not a "reward".

A beta that's a reward is really just a stress-test / advertising campaign.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

But I don't see how "long-time GW1 fans" are better at submitting bug reports than anyone else.

As for open beta, sure, let your most hyped fans in first... they'll only release positive information anyways, and they'll be thankful to you and hopefully give you their loyalty.

Deleted
    I didn't play GW1 myself because the game didn't appeal that much to me. That said GW2 is a different product and everyone should get a chance to get in. Since it isn't intended for real game testing other than stress testing and the like I believe everyone deserves a fair chance. Even the occasional troll in here.

And f Anet plays it smart, they invite different people each beta test weekend so everyone gets a shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Pretty much every post I've read on Guru about beta access is people campaigning for some group to they which belong to be invited to beta.
    It's quite sad.

As I said over there in a rare Guru post , the open beta is a marketing exercise to help sell the game, so why would ArenaNet try to attract people that are already an absolute certainty to buy the GW2?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yalu View Post
    Even though I played Guild Wars 1 I don't think they should pull a lot of people from that player base. GW2 really is very different from the first one. Inviting some of the active GW1 accounts surely doesn't hurt, but they should not put too much focus on it and try to get a broader set of players.

Also, since these are preview events more than real beta tests at this point, I think inviting many people via Facebook, press and fansite contests, forums or similar means helps them get the word out more.
    I pretty much agree with these points as far as beta access is concerned. I also think that a diverse testing group will be more helpful in finding any bugs/issues that are still out there, as well as getting info about the game out to a wider audience.
    Last edited by MissCleo; 2012-01-25 at 08:46 PM.

Deleted
    Majority of people on guru are idiots anyway I find. They argue about anything and everything.

I saw one of these threads the other day, about how people who played GW1 should have the right to reserve one word names, because having all your GW1 character names isn't enough it seems, so they all want to screw over any new player who isn't a GW1 veteran.

It's these people who shouldn't be allowed in the beta to be honest, since they're the ones causing all the problems really.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Pretty much every post I've read on Guru about beta access is people campaigning for some group to they which belong to be invited to beta.
    It's quite sad.
    Pretty much the feeling I was getting. On the other end of the spectrum there were some pretty nasty responses to them that I was surprised weren't ninja edited/deleted.

I think the point of contention comes from the fact that while so many GW1 fans are eagerly awaiting GW2, there's an equally large (or arguably larger) number of players that are new to the Guild Wars universe but already have the same fervor.

We're like Jotun, having no outside enemies we turn violently upon one another along our one newfound difference and desire for dominance! (couldn't help myself)

From the sounds of it they're playing up the Facebook thing, who seem to be more casual about/less invested in the game (i.e. just saw a line about "lore articles not going over well" there, only big announcements)

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    I saw one of these threads the other day, about how people who played GW1 should have the right to reserve one word names
    Haha yep, sounds pretty standard... They make me worry about the state of the community on launch sometimes. I can only hope sating their need for the game will restrain the inner beast of nerdrage.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2012-01-25 at 08:56 PM.

Coming from a 6 year GW1 player I'd say you have a point we are buying GW2 no matter what, ANet would be better off just picking people at random.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    I think the point of contention comes from the fact that while so many GW1 fans are eagerly awaiting GW2, there's an equally large (or arguably larger) number of players that are new to the Guild Wars universe but already have the same fervor.
    I know that personally, I first heard about Guild Wars 2 a year or so ago, but didn't give it much attention, never having played the original Guild Wars and knowing next to nothing about the game or the lore. I didn't really start looking into the game until I happened to stumble on this forum a week or so ago, and since then I've watched just about every video out there, devoured anything written about the game I could get my hands on, and started playing GW1 in my free time. I've also told all my gaming compadres about it and hope I can convince at least some of them to play with me on launch.
    Last edited by MissCleo; 2012-01-25 at 09:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    From the sounds of it they're playing up the Facebook thing
    I'd say it's a certainty that they'll give out an amount of invites on Facebook. The open beta is about marketing the game, and giving invites to people on Facebook means they work for free as viral marketers.

Deleted
    For starters I don't play GW1 not even for the HoM, I just don't like the feel of it sadly and just can't seem to get into the groove of it really even though it does seem like a decent game. IMO when they do the more open beta's those who have bought and played GW1 should have at least 1 weeks priority or 2 maximum as they have supported Arenanet even if just for the HoM, to me this seems fair but feel free to disagree. However i this extends to early access then I would be a little ticked off.

Quote Originally Posted by Freehoof View Post
    I know that personally, I first heard about Guild Wars 2 a year or so ago, but didn't give it much attention, never having played the original Guild Wars and knowing next to nothing about the game or the lore. I didn't really start looking into the game until I happened to stumble on this forum a week or so ago, and since then I've watched just about every video out there, devoured anything written about the game I could get my hands on, and started playing GW1 in my free time. I've also told all my gaming compadres about it and hope I can convince at least some of them to play with me on launch.
    Seems to me like a lot of people have had a similar experience. A longtime friend of mine who literally hasn't touched an MMO since he stopped playing EverQuest with me around 2001 recently brought up Guild Wars 2 (with incredible excitement, no less) and I was completely taken aback by it. Purely anecdotal, but: everyone I know who is a gamer is somewhere between moderately interested and flat-out rabid about Guild Wars 2 - which is extremely encouraging, particularly for someone like me with a whopping 1-2 RL friends still actively playing WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfuert View Post
    However i this extends to early access then I would be a little ticked off.
    I can undoubtedly say that would be a terrible move on their part, that would cross the line for sure when it comes to playing favorites and punishing newcomers. They seem to have been careful about HoM not providing too much of an advantage, so I wouldn't expect them to do that.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2012-01-25 at 09:20 PM.

ArenaNet always talks about how their favorite and best test subjects are people who haven't really heard about GW2 or knows much about it, I imagine they will try to get a lot of random people in.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no reasons why GW1 players deserve beta access. There is absolutely no argument there. They bought and played GW1 on their own will, not because of some future beta. They can cry all they want, but they have just as much a chance as we do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukioish View Post
    There is no reasons why GW1 players deserve beta access. There is absolutely no argument there. They bought and played GW1 on their own will, not because of some future beta. They can cry all they want, but they have just as much a chance as we do.
    I believe there is, the fact they paid for GW1 and made GW2 possible is the only real argument I see however they are not entitled to it by default