Unhappy Tired of running with 3-7 fps

Basically my friend found a comp he wants to buy to run SWTOR. I know absolutely nothing about computers or their components and I wanted to hear some peoples opinion on this one in particular. I run about 3-7 fps durring raid and even out of raid my gameplay feels very slugish and its even hard to notice positoning in pvp.

I cant post the link but here are the specs running at $1300
    Model - Gamer Supreme 911SLCK
    Processor - Intel Core i7-2700k 3.5GHz
    Processor - Main Features64 bit Quad-Core Processor
    Cache Per Processor - 8MB L3 Cache
    Memory - 16GB
    Hard Drive - 1TB
    Optical Drive - 124X DL DVD+/-RW Drive
    Graphics - Nvidia Geforce GTX 560Ti 1GB
    Audio - 8 Channels
    Ethernet - Gigabit Ethernet
    Power Supply - 700W
    Operating System - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
    Special Features - NZXT LEXA-S Gaming Case iBUYPOWER Gaming Liquid Cooling

I would just like to know if this computer can run wow on ultra with a decent FPS so that I can raid without staring at a slideshow OR if its total overkill just to play wow. Appreciate any advice you guys can give me.

IMO, ditch the i7 and go with the i5. Then either invest in a 580 GTX, a SSD, or just keep the money. Also, 16gb of RAM is quite unnecessary, I run 8gb and have never maxed it out.

And yes, that computer will run WoW on ultra at 60-100 fps in 25 man raids.
    Last edited by Jartin; 2012-01-25 at 08:19 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jartin View Post
    IMO, ditch the i7 and go with the i5. Then either invest in a 580 GTX, a SSD, or just keep the money. Also, 16gb of RAM is quite unnecessary, I run 8gb and have never maxed it out.

And yes, that computer will run WoW on ultra at 60-100 fps in 25 man raids.
    Don't think it will. My friend has i7 3600k, 580 and probably more than 8 GB ram and he has like 40 FPS on Ultra in LFR 25 man Ultraxion.

Thanks for the replies

Quote Originally Posted by Jartin View Post
    IMO, ditch the i7 and go with the i5. Then either invest in a 580 GTX, a SSD, or just keep the money.
    Whats the difference between the i5 and the i7? I was told you need an i7 to play SWTOR so i figured its better so what would be the purpose of downgrading? Also I could look it up but you guys speak more my language so Ill ask, what is an SSD?

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhobi327 View Post
    Thanks for the replies

Whats the difference between the i5 and the i7? I was told you need an i7 to play SWTOR so i figured its better so what would be the purpose of downgrading? Also I could look it up but you guys speak more my language so Ill ask, what is an SSD?
    I'm using an i5 and I'm not having any significant issues in playing SWTOR. i7 essentially only provides hyperthreading, which games don't make much, if any, use of. SSD stands for solid state drive, it's essentially a large internal thumb drive.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Deleted
    Thanks for the replies

i7 has Hyper-Threading as above poster mentioned. Both i5 and i7 have 4 real cores. But with Hyper-Threading Windows will see i7's four cores as eight. Most games can't use all 8 threads so i7 doesn't perform that much better in most game. What i7 really excels at is rendering, encoding and such.

Deleted
    Thanks for the replies
    From now on ignore whoever told you that you needed an i7 to play swtor.

the actual diference from the i7 2700k to the i5 2500k is about 10% tops and I doubt you'll see it in games, you can neglect it if you OC both .

The only thing that I actually saw the i7 2700k beating the 2500k by more than a littleish thingy 2-4% was running multiple VM. In any other scenario HT was exactly as it was in the Pentium4 era ... nothing much ... Maybe if I tried to do a rendering WHILE gaming ... but why would you want to do that. I actually gained some frames in some applications just by disabling HT , and the ones that seem to take advantage of HT are ( like in the P4 era ) 5% or 10% increments at best.

For gaming i5 2500k beats everything in the price/performance , and you get money to invest in the gpu. That i7 is a waste for gaming , and in all truth the difference in price is too much for such a tiny performance difference to it's i5 counterpart, as in most games you can't tell an i5 2500k from an i7 2700k.
    The only place until now that I have seen the i7 2700k beat the i5 2500k for 15% or more ( and even then it's not enough for the price diference ) it's on synthetic benchmarks.

Edit: an SSD is a "faster" access disk , it will make your pc boot up faster ( if it's installed on the SSD ) and give you amazing loading speeds but won't give you more fps. You'll notice it in mmos mainly in loading times but also it will stop any texture streaming problems ( textures popping or gaining resolution over time ) that sometimes you can see when you port to a zone.
    Look for some reviews and movies in youtube of a normal HDD vs SSD

Listen to Jartin
    Ignore the i7 ... buy the i5 2500k , laugh @ any gamer that bough the i7. Even outside the gaming world the i5 still holds the best price/performance.
    With the money you save you can get a better gpu.
    Last edited by mmocda69302ff9; 2012-01-26 at 03:03 AM.