Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    As a businessman, making people having the original guild wars to get in the second during closed beta is absolutely genius. It would force desperate people to get the original game if they don't have it AND then they will buy the second one afterwords. You got 2 games bought over a simple beta.
    From a business standpoint then they would make a monthly fee, but they don't. Even if they did require you to of played GW1 to get into GW2 beta (which they don't) I highly doubt they would give you a beta invite for buying the game in the last year over a veteran who started playing since day one.

    Fact is they never mentioned you having to have GW1 to get into beta, and from a promotional standpoint I highly doubt they will.

    that's Ncosfts job
    Wrong. Ncsoft has no say in any development of Guild wars 2 or even beta. Everything is decided by Anet and if Ncsoft does not go along with it well no GW2 for Ncsoft. I am sure ton's of gaming company's would represent Guild wars 2. For Ncsoft its a big publicity thing.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-01-26 at 06:52 PM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    From a business standpoint then they would make a monthly fee, but they don't. Even if they did require you to of played GW1 to get into GW2 beta (which they don't) I highly doubt they would give you a beta invite for buying the game in the last year over a veteran who started playing since day one.

    Fact is they never mentioned you having to have GW1 to get into beta, and from a promotional standpoint I highly doubt they will.
    They can't make a monthly fee, not with the guild wars name. It would cause an outrage and they would lose so much money. Just look at the banks that tried to do the $5 monthly fee.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

    It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    They can't make a monthly fee, not with the guild wars name. It would cause an outrage and they would lose so much money. Just look at the banks that tried to do the $5 monthly fee.
    They can't this late in the game, but you missed my point.

    Guild wars 1 and Guild wars 2 have different fan bases because they are both different games.

    Giving beta invites for Guild wars 2 because you played GW1 isn't a logical sense.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-01-26 at 06:58 PM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

  4. #44
    I should preface this with the fact that I am 50/50 HoM and have GWAMM.

    The selfish part of me says that they should of course favor the old school players. The logical part of my mind says that is stupid; unless done in a round about way. I'm already sold on GW2. I've been actively telling friends in my SWTOR guild that they should get GW2 and that it will be awesome. A lot of them are unsure, though I have convinced a bunch of them. Many people that didn't like GW1 (for whatever reason) don't realize the strides made by NCSoft in GW2. The improvements are massive. GW2 holds so much promise. I know these guys would definitely try the beta and if they did, they'd buy the game. Realistically, they'd be far better off to either invite said friends or invite me and give me keys so that I could get them to buy the game. Hard-core fans are the people they don't need to convince. From a bug-improvement stand point, RNG invites are more effective than anything else. So, logically, no they shouldn't favor us unless they want to use said fans as advertising channels to others.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosvidaniya View Post
    I should preface this with the fact that I am 50/50 HoM and have GWAMM.

    The selfish part of me says that they should of course favor the old school players. The logical part of my mind says that is stupid; unless done in a round about way. I'm already sold on GW2. I've been actively telling friends in my SWTOR guild that they should get GW2 and that it will be awesome. A lot of them are unsure, though I have convinced a bunch of them. Many people that didn't like GW1 (for whatever reason) don't realize the strides made by Anet. Realistically, they'd be far better off to either invite said friends or invite me and give me keys so that I could get them to buy the game. Hard-core fans are the people they don't need to convince. From a bug-improvement stand point, RNG invites are more effective than anything else. So, logically, no they shouldn't favor us unless they want to use said fans as advertising channels to others.
    Fixed that for you.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

  6. #46
    The Patient Euzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    292
    I think and hope that it's used as at least a minor factor.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    If GW2 was a direct sequel to GW1 I would agree with you, however its two separate games they just both take place in the same world. There would be no benefit to giving beta invites out to only GW1 veterans since the original intention of the beta is a promotional event.

    If players have doubts you can read the sticky that covers most if not all info on GW2. If they still have doubts you can opt for beta or just buy the game when it comes out. Even if they dislike some of the things going into this game its still a great game to play.
    Two benefits:
    1. More GW1 sales.
    2. Many GW1 veterans with who arenanet had a very profitable customer relationship will be convinced to continue their patronage in GW2.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    Two benefits:
    1. More GW1 sales.
    2. Many GW1 veterans with who arenanet had a very profitable customer relationship will be convinced to continue their patronage in GW2.
    We already covered this. If Anet wanted more sales in GW1 there are other things they can do (it has already been proven that making the most money isn't the focus of Anet). However since they are both complete different games that just happen to share the same name they will have different fan bases.

    Some people don't like GW1 but are liking what guild wars 2 has to bring, because they are different games, and should have a fair shot at weekend beta like everyone else.

    Now lets reverse it. Some players love GW1 but really don't where guild wars 2 is headed. They are a veteran of Guild wars 1 and get a beta invite even though they have no interest in playing it. Is that fair?

    From a logical standpoint they are not going to give beta invites to GW1 veterans. Kick and scream and moan all you want but they are still 2 different games.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-01-27 at 03:21 AM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    We already covered this. If Anet wanted more sales in GW1 there are other things they can do (it has already been proven that making the most money isn't the focus of Anet). However since they are both complete different games that just happen to share the same name they will have different fan bases.

    Some people don't like GW1 but are liking what guild wars 2 has to bring, because they are different games, and should have a fair shot at weekend beta like everyone else.

    Now lets reverse it. Some players love GW1 but really don't where guild wars 2 is headed. They are a veteran of Guild wars 1 and get a beta invite even though they have no interest in playing it. Is that fair?

    From a logical standpoint they are not going to give beta invites to GW1 veterans. Kick and scream and moan all you want but they are still 2 different games.
    Betas are never fair, the press always gets them first. Even youtube reviewers get them first, how is locking guild wars 2 closed beta to guild wars buyers any different than what Aion did.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

    It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    Betas are never fair, the press always gets them first. Even youtube reviewers get them first, how is locking guild wars 2 closed beta to guild wars buyers any different than what Aion did.
    Because aion and guild wars 2 were not created by the same company..... just because you need ncsoft downloader to play the game does not mean ncsoft has any say to beta or anything done with guild wars 2.

    If you are going to give free beta invites to GW1 players to a different game you might as well sell the beta invites to anyone for 30 bucks since its the same, you pay 30 bucks for GW1 trilogy, you pay 30 for a beta invite.

    Anet looks greedy either way and contradicts their own goal.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-01-27 at 03:55 AM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

  11. #51
    Scarab Lord Arkenaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,311
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    We already covered this. If Anet wanted more sales in GW1 there are other things they can do (it has already been proven that making the most money isn't the focus of Anet). However since they are both complete different games that just happen to share the same name they will have different fan bases.

    Some people don't like GW1 but are liking what guild wars 2 has to bring, because they are different games, and should have a fair shot at weekend beta like everyone else.

    Now lets reverse it. Some players love GW1 but really don't where guild wars 2 is headed. They are a veteran of Guild wars 1 and get a beta invite even though they have no interest in playing it. Is that fair?

    From a logical standpoint they are not going to give beta invites to GW1 veterans. Kick and scream and moan all you want but they are still 2 different games.
    What about the ones who enjoyed GW1 and are looking forward to GW2. I'm pretty sure that's the majority. If they weren't doing a press beta (more like demo and free publicity, I hate press betas) then I would be inclined to agree that it should all be fair and balanced.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    We already covered this. If Anet wanted more sales in GW1 there are other things they can do (it has already been proven that making the most money isn't the focus of Anet).
    Insert "my head is full of fuck" meme here. Because that is where it truly belongs. A corporation is LEGALLY REQUIRED to be first and foremost about making profit for its stockholders. This is court-tested in USA.

    What you're most likely referring to (and massively misunderstanding in your naivete), is that they don't want to actively market GW1 anymore because they have limited resources that are better spent on GW2 marketing. But when you get a "free marketing" like this beta invite, you sure as hell take it, unless you're really bad at marketing.
    Last edited by Lucky_; 2012-01-27 at 01:49 PM.

  13. #53
    Insert "my head is full of fuck" meme here. Because that is where it truly belongs. A corporation is LEGALLY REQUIRED to be first and foremost about making profit for its stockholders. This is court-tested in USA.
    Then there are other ways and probably more effective ways to do that, selling a one time beta invite where the game releases a month later and its weekend only beta isn't a great way to do this.

    I understand the point your coming from, but selling beta invites doesn't seem like a good solution.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-01-27 at 03:04 PM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

  14. #54
    Everybody should have an equal chance. They've stated that their open beta is going to be mostly from a marketing standpoint, so why would you give priority to people that are probably already informed and are likely to buy the game to begin with? It also makes me cringe that people think they're entitled to having beta access over people just because they played GW1.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    Betas are never fair, the press always gets them first. Even youtube reviewers get them first, how is locking guild wars 2 closed beta to guild wars buyers any different than what Aion did.
    Judging this statement alone it seems to me that you feel that gamers are entitled to a beta invitation. Why do you want to be in the beta so bad? so you can find bugs? so you can help stress test the servers? or so that you can gloat about being the select few that has information and puts up youtube videos to make yourself seem important.

    Beta's are for testing the system no one is entitled to an invitation so their is no "oh its not fair that family members get in" or " its not fair that press get selected first" Their is no fair or foul. These tests are not for you they are not for me they are for the developer to evaluate and put forth a better game on release.

    And as for Press getting selected first i think this is a good thing. Its a way to FREELY market your game. You give press access and boom they are spending their resources to create videos, write reviews and they get their user bases excited for the game. Then arenanet can market less by letting Gaming websites do their marketing for them.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    Everybody should have an equal chance. They've stated that their open beta is going to be mostly from a marketing standpoint, so why would you give priority to people that are probably already informed and are likely to buy the game to begin with? It also makes me cringe that people think they're entitled to having beta access over people just because they played GW1.
    Most people really don't think they are "entitled." However, they want the perks of beta-testing (namely a chance to play the game!). People that weren't GW1 players, naturally, are disinclined to want that system. It's simple greed and no one can really blame them. There is a certain logic to rewarding your past fans. There is also logic to getting it out to people that aren't already going to buy the game. Greed biases people to one side or the other. I agree with your logic, but my greed sort of wants the perk of it being "fan prioritized."

    Anyways, given the mention of weekend events, I imagine they will do it like SWTOR to an extent. I think they will have a massive bit of press release through feb and then move into weekend beta events as a means to stress test and advertise. No offense to GW1, I liked it, but many people did not like the game. It was far more of a multi-player RPG than an MMO. It had a number of quirks. Most people I know fall into the category of disliking GW1 and simply assuming GW2 will be similar. GW2 has had some awesome press, but they need a massive jump in advertising that explains all the awesome changes that have been made. Then they need people to try it. When people realize the changes made to make it a true open-world game, they'll come running. However, it's features really aren't known to most casual RPG players. Many just assume it is like GW1.

  17. #57
    The only considerations they should take are system specifications and beta testing aptitude - if the beta test is a true beta, and not just a stress test, that is. I've played Guild Wars 1 - though granted not for very long - but I don't expect preferential treatment. If I've understood things correctly, GW2 will have a much broader appeal than GW1, so it makes sense to get as diverse a population as possible onto the servers. You absolutely do not want primarily hardcore GW1 players on a beta test - their feedback will no doubt be very useful, but also very onesided.

  18. #58
    Mechagnome Vewen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post


    And as for Press getting selected first i think this is a good thing. Its a way to FREELY market your game. You give press access and boom they are spending their resources to create videos, write reviews and they get their user bases excited for the game. Then arenanet can market less by letting Gaming websites do their marketing for them.
    They have the means to reach a lot of people, and Anet hardly has to pay for it. Free advertising. you give them a beta invite, they write (hopefully) a good review that thousands upon thousands of people will read and they will watch their footage. It's invaluable to put your game out there, to make people aware. And if you can do it in a way that hardly costs you, why not?

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Judging this statement alone it seems to me that you feel that gamers are entitled to a beta invitation. Why do you want to be in the beta so bad? so you can find bugs? so you can help stress test the servers? or so that you can gloat about being the select few that has information and puts up youtube videos to make yourself seem important.

    Beta's are for testing the system no one is entitled to an invitation so their is no "oh its not fair that family members get in" or " its not fair that press get selected first" Their is no fair or foul. These tests are not for you they are not for me they are for the developer to evaluate and put forth a better game on release.

    And as for Press getting selected first i think this is a good thing. Its a way to FREELY market your game. You give press access and boom they are spending their resources to create videos, write reviews and they get their user bases excited for the game. Then arenanet can market less by letting Gaming websites do their marketing for them.
    Theres a certain point where inside testing can't benefit. Locking the game to game buyers controls beta population (while staying massive) and generates revenue.

    Even people who aren't press get the keys before you, simply being famous for something in a game grants you a key.





    Betas are never fair, and if I don't get selected oh well I've been waiting for 5 years.

    Because aion and guild wars 2 were not created by the same company..... just because you need ncsoft downloader to play the game does not mean ncsoft has any say to beta or anything done with guild wars 2.
    Ncsoft funds Arenanet, they control the marketing part of the game. For you say Ncsoft has no power is complete ignorance, nobody BUYS a company and gives the old company full control. This isn't like Activision and Blizzard, they merged.

    Ncsoft sets the deadlines and controls the marketing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vewen View Post
    They have the means to reach a lot of people, and Anet hardly has to pay for it. Free advertising. you give them a beta invite, they write (hopefully) a good review that thousands upon thousands of people will read and they will watch their footage. It's invaluable to put your game out there, to make people aware. And if you can do it in a way that hardly costs you, why not?
    You're acknowledging it is a market strategy, so is charging people to get in the beta. So they might as well start doing that as well, they'll make tons of money.
    Last edited by Deyadissa; 2012-01-27 at 07:56 PM.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

    It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)

  20. #60
    Mechagnome Vewen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post

    You're acknowledging it is a market strategy, so is charging people to get in the beta. So they might as well start doing that as well, they'll make tons of money.
    This will give them a very greedy image and will make people NOT try out the beta and potentially not buy the game. That's not a market strategy, that's digging your own grave.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •