Deleted

SSX, potential game changes from 3 that could spoil the experience.

Just finished watching IGN's live stream of SSX (http://uk.ign.com/videos/2012/01/20/...e-presents-ssx).

While the game looks great, especially for those wanting a return to the old, really over the top style, I couldn't help but notice a few things that have really spoiled my anticipation of the game. Just to point out, SSX is pretty much my most eagerly-awaited game of the year, perhaps only just slipping behind ME3, and SSX 3 was my favourite game of the last generation.

The first, and biggest point, is that SSX won't be open world, nor will it feature a free-play option. While 3 was open and expansive, allowing you to travel down whole mountains at your leisure, picking and choosing events as you came across them. So basically, SSX will just be a choose from the menu-style affair, and will take away something that in my mind made 3 so fantastic. There is no free play option, so you will always have to be going as fast as you can down the mountains, and always against AI, never on your own, with no time to explore, it sucks.

Secondly is the lack of customisation. In 3 you could change multiple parts of clothing, hairstyles, boards, bindings etc. In SSX they've narrowed it down to suits, boards and gadgets, and that's it.

Honestly, these two points, thought the first especially, have really dampened my mood towards the game. While it's still going to good fun, taking away what made 3 so unique and what added to the immersion just feels like a huge step back. What does anyone else think?

i just hope its like SSX tricky that game was so addictive and fun

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    i just hope its like SSX tricky that game was so addictive and fun

yeah! one of my favorite games!

Bummer... that was, along with the Tony Hawk games, my favorite on the PS2. Spending all sorts of time trying to find hidden things to slide, shortcuts, etc, lots of fun.

I don't mind the lack of open world. Customization is great though and the fact that you cannot fully customize is a bit lame.

When is this game due out and what is its actual title?

Well, less open world but much more of those drop points and a larger number of mountains. So it evens out I think content wise.

No free ride is annoying but as I understood it, you can actually do the challenges set by them and see people go down the mountain around you (dropping in at various times). You can also set these challenges yourself and only you being able to do them or something like that, making it sort of a free ride. A little work around(ish) though.

The challenge thing actually looked pretty cool to me by the way. I think it will be really cool to go down a mountain and see people everywhere trying for that highscore. Probably there can only be 8 people on a single instance of the mountain and you wont see them often (since it is fairly big still) but please let me be hyped for a little longer okay? . Let's imagine a 100 people per instance of the mountain and you see them going and jumping left and right. You jump into it going crazy with them haha.
    Also note that you can use that rewind function to practise specific jumps, which automatically ruins your run since you loose so much time rewinding (did you see he didn't get close to first when he used it at the start of that race?). But you can try again to hit that difficult grind after the jump or that chopper hanging thing (maybe the chopper is separate on a timer though). Or try to get 1 more rotation out of your ubertrick or whatever you want.

Little customisation options is also bad. A nice thing though is that RPG system. Pretty cool to actually get boards for your level, basically making the "levelling up" a little more RPG.

The one thing I disliked the most was that wing suit though. Great idea in your head but pretty lame in practise. Press button and fly over huge gaps.
    Also, those deadly descent challenges. Is there really 1 challenge per item mod thingie. Like that anti freeze solar reflector thingie? It is only used for 1 track? That is pretty much a boring gimmick like those "racing" parts in james bond shooters which are always lame. I buy a shooter or a racer, not some half assed shooter or racer which isn't great in either. Not a fan of these sorts of things but hey, to each its own.
    And another small thing. Some characters have stat bonusses in their persona I understand? Like mac has + to rotation of tricks. Making him the #1 character for tricking always? I hope it is not so bad as it sounds.

Game comes out the last week of Feb/first of March I believe and it just called "SSX" (before SSX deadly descents but I guess they also saw it was a gimmick, not actual great gameplay ).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaru View Post
    I don't mind the lack of open world. Customization is great though and the fact that you cannot fully customize is a bit lame.

When is this game due out and what is its actual title?
    The end of Feb in US and Mar: 3 in EU.
    Actual title is indeed just "SSX", it was "deadly descents at one point.

And to Bolson, I definitely agree that the huge amount of drops is a great point. SSX 3 had 9 I believe, and the new one has 150 odd.
    Yeah I've seen that you can set up a private online game in order to free ride, but it's still a slightly awkward and unnecessary work around, but at least does actually exist.
    I think each mountain can handle something like 100,00 people a time, according to IGN's interview, but as you say they'll be instanced. I'm not trying to get down on the game too much, because the new online options sound amazing too, and the rewind system is well implemented in that's it's hard to exploit as it carries penalties for use.

Yeah the deadly descents are definitely very gimmicky, and while you can use the wingsuit whenever you like, it seems the other gadgets are going to be used only once, it also breaks away from you being able to use your favourite character for every track, which annoys me a bit. Each character does have stat bonuses, Elise for example can use her wingsuit for longer, and Mac can rotate more. I'm with you in that I really hope it doesn't unbalance the game too much, and that it's still possible to set high scores without them, looking forward to finding out what Zoe's stat bonuses are.

I always finish Kaori first. I know, very typical but it seemed to me that in SSX3 she rotated faster because of her smaller frame (not that she actually did I think).

Also, dont really like the look of Max this time. Psymon is pretty cool too though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    I always finish Kaori first. I know, very typical but it seemed to me that in SSX3 she rotated faster because of her smaller frame (not that she actually did I think).

Also, dont really like the look of Max this time. Psymon is pretty cool too though.
    Kaori definitely rotated quicker in Tricky, though that could have been because her starter board was better for tricks.

So long ago, cant remember the details haha. I do know that at some point it was a good choice to pick her . I played SSX 3 half a year ago or so and man, non-HD graphics in 3D games make my eyes bleed .

Do you think I can emulate it on the PC with AA on and such?

Anyone know if there will be local multiplayer in this game?

Ugh, no PC version?

Good job, EA.

Going for Ty, am Norwegian so i want to finally play as one after that it will be most likely Zoe, Moby, mac, and the rest.

I watched thewhole on Machimena and Am more excited since Skyrim! even tho the Avalanche and with the music of dubstep puts me a bit off but it sound instresting to try it out when i see it.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Ugh, no PC version?

Good job, EA.
    If there were a pc version then people would be bitching about origin.