Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...
5
13
14
15
  1. #281
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    Hardware isn't everything. OS X and the design of the laptop also comes into account.
    desing is uber fail...
    Firstly when you open your lid you block air exhaust in macbook which increases chances of overheating
    Secondly laptop itself is built so that if you spill any water on it by accident, it will be lead to places on motherboard which will in 90% of cases kill your laptop.
    glossy screens also are shit. They look nice but in sunlight you can wipe your ass with them and they would even fail at that...

    Design might be nice for the eye (if some1 likes simple silver brick) but from functional point of view its bullshit that is designed to drain money from repairs.

    Honestly, I used to be just like you. Then I got a free itouch at a holiday party 1 year ago. My mind was blown by how awesome and easy to use it was. I eventually ended up buying an imac as my primary computer, and it works great; without a doubt the simplest computer I've ever had, never crashes, and runs every game at 60+ FPS on max settings at 2560x1440.

    Honestly, stop living in 2002, and go into 2012. And at least try the products before bashing them.
    try pulling more numbers out of your ass, maybe it will increase your credibility...

    go into 2012? you mean go for anything that ever prevents you from using brain? just like wow and almost ever game is made? for person with some kind of brain damage?

    Let me give you 1 example. some time ago, on this very forums, was a guy asking for advice what laptop he should chose. He was torn between macbook and some other laptop. His reasoning behind getting macbook over the other laptop was "on macbook i would have all programs im gonna need installed while on other laptop i would have to find them and dl myself". The guy was ready to pay nearly double price in order to not have to spend 30 minutes (tops) on looking for programs he needs and installing them. And before you tell me that his time is important to him, then shot yourself in the head to make humanity a favor, because that argument would only be true if he would earn like 1k$ in 30 minutes...
    This whole situation is like buying a car and pay double price just so you dont ahve to change tyres yourself when winter comes...
    If you tell me that this is smart thing to do then seriously... just shot yourself in the head and make humanity and democracy a favor...



    Bottom line is.
    Apple makes good products, granted, but they are nowhere near the quality they should have for their price.
    Imacs arent anything special (just like all other all in 1 pcs), macbooks arent special in any way either, ipod popularity still makes me wonder whats so amazing about it. Its mp3/mp4 player with no extraordinary features other than too high price. But im assuming that people using itunes prefer ipods. Ipads arent anything amazing either, in fact theya re inferior to some of their competition and are more expensive than this competition aswell. Ios here isnt benefit either as there is more apps on android and better ones at the same time.iPhone 4 is inferior to galaxy s2 and iphone 4s is inferior to galaxy s note, where samsung offerings are cheaper and again android>ios considering apps.

  2. #282
    Dreadlord mludd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by Forumpost View Post
    If we're talking computers, then I was using slackware in 94 and I'm a network manager. I built every single computer I ever owned since 94.
    How nice, personally I'm a software developer and I've had an active interest in computers and electronics since I was eight years old (as I stated earlier in the thread my first computer was an SVI-328 with 64 kB of RAM). I've been both a helldesk monkey and a sysadmin (for a load-balanced Linux cluster to be specific) in the past. Like you I have been using Linux since the mid-90s. So, by extending your appeal to authority argument my opinion should be worth as much as yours.
    I am the Kwisatz Haderach

  3. #283
    Quote Originally Posted by Xevan View Post
    This is just amazing to look at from an outsiders perspective. They're just dominating everybody in the Tech industry.

    I think they may have enough money in reserve to rival a middle income country. They're also putting up a great fight against their long time rivals in Redmond - Apple's revenue is now double that of Microsoft's last quarter. To be fair, before I get flamed - Microsoft is an enterprise and software company... So yea. And recent rival - Apples profit is more than Googles revenue last quarter.

    Just goes to show that if you have simple to use products you can succeed, the general public doesn't care much about tinkering.

    http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/24/a...s-q1-earnings/
    Just goes to show that if you make a product everyone must have for vanity, you will succeed.
    I liek fysix

  4. #284
    Quote Originally Posted by Forumpost View Post
    nnnyes, clearly.

    ---------- Post added 2012-01-26 at 02:43 PM ----------



    Sure, if we're talking about curing cancer, then my opinion carries as much weight as theirs.

    If we're talking computers, then I was using slackware in 94 and I'm a network manager. I built every single computer I ever owned since 94.

    I don't expect a prize, a medal or anything, but as long as I'm not the moron that has to pay 2000 to someone for 10 minutes of working with screws, I kinda doubt "their opinion" carries as much weight, for obvious reasons.

    You see, as you so well put it, the internet is full of experts and a lot of them can and will help you build a computer FREE OF CHARGE.

    Now, if you're (as opposed to your) a dumbass and have to pay 2000 over it, then that's your god given right. Just don't come here (or anywhere else) and demand respect for it. Don't ask anyone to value your opinion and don't act like you CHOSE to pay those 2000, although you could've done it yourself.

    I think we both know you'd rather have kept the money, but couldn't. That's also fine, but you're not getting any credit for it.
    Well to be fair you obviously do expect a medal. And again your posting stuff on the internet where no-one believes you. The fact you LOL'd at something earlier puts a shadow on your claim job title/abilities!
    Now you want the average consumer to find all the parts and now find someone who won't charge to put everything together for them?
    Your either showing your ignorance or your being deliberately obtuse.

    By the way - why is someone a dumbarse for having the disposable income to not have to care about spending that additional money? Also who is demanding respect for purchasing something? Your the one creating an issue out of it. If someone purchases something that they are happy with and even knowingly paid more than something else that will do a similar job - why are they a dumbarse again? Oh that's right it's your unsubstantiated opinion that makes them a dumbarse.
    It's their choice as its your choice to have an opinion. Saying someone's a dumbarse for not agreeing with your opinion pretty much shows your mental age

  5. #285
    Scarab Lord Robinhoodexe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Posts
    4,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexiefy View Post
    desing is uber fail...
    Firstly when you open your lid you block air exhaust in macbook which increases chances of overheating
    Secondly laptop itself is built so that if you spill any water on it by accident, it will be lead to places on motherboard which will in 90% of cases kill your laptop.
    glossy screens also are shit. They look nice but in sunlight you can wipe your ass with them and they would even fail at that...

    Design might be nice for the eye (if some1 likes simple silver brick) but from functional point of view its bullshit that is designed to drain money from repairs.
    Overheating? No way. The CPU in my MBP can work without problems up to 106 ºC. The highest I've taken it to was around 102 when i was encoding some video, playing wow, watching a movie and surfing the internet with like 30 tabs open. It gets hot yes, but not damaging anything.

    And spiling liquid into the keyboard? That's just stupid, I doubt any laptop would survive much water.

    And glossy screens? You can choose a non-glossy screen if you want.
    Congratulations on graduating to expert level trolling, I would stick around but I'm busy getting gay married in 13 states and performing roadside abortions while passing bills that take away people's guns while i sip superior european wine and cheese i bought with european style socialist money, arrivaderci!

  6. #286
    I just don't like any of their products. I find the OS terrible to use (though I think part of it is me being used to PCs).

    I don't understand the appeal of the iPhone, though to be honest I don't understand the appeal of smartphones in general.

    iPad, yeah that is necessary....

    They have this hip/artsy image that their mass consumption by the populace can not destroy. I am not a fan of the products I have tried, but I have to admit they have amazing marketing.

  7. #287
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    13,551
    Quote Originally Posted by Forumpost View Post
    nnnyes, clearly.

    ---------- Post added 2012-01-26 at 02:43 PM ----------



    Sure, if we're talking about curing cancer, then my opinion carries as much weight as theirs.

    If we're talking computers, then I was using slackware in 94 and I'm a network manager. I built every single computer I ever owned since 94.

    I don't expect a prize, a medal or anything, but as long as I'm not the moron that has to pay 2000 to someone for 10 minutes of working with screws, I kinda doubt "their opinion" carries as much weight, for obvious reasons.

    You see, as you so well put it, the internet is full of experts and a lot of them can and will help you build a computer FREE OF CHARGE.

    Now, if you're (as opposed to your) a dumbass and have to pay 2000 over it, then that's your god given right. Just don't come here (or anywhere else) and demand respect for it. Don't ask anyone to value your opinion and don't act like you CHOSE to pay those 2000, although you could've done it yourself.

    I think we both know you'd rather have kept the money, but couldn't. That's also fine, but you're not getting any credit for it.
    You're the one typing as if building your own PC somehow makes you superior. Your post is full of bias and arrogance to make your point. People who don't build their PC are not necessarily paying $2000 nor are they necessarily "morons"

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  8. #288
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    Overheating? No way. The CPU in my MBP can work without problems up to 106 ºC.
    For a limited period of time...

  9. #289
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    For a limited period of time...
    Really? For a limited time? Wow I thought that was most computers normal operating temp... Dur!

  10. #290
    The Insane peggleftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    RBWM
    Posts
    15,172
    good for them.

    still i will never buy a mac until they make them cheaper and let me replace parts and stuff in them, i never understood why someone would buy a mac when you build a better pc for half the price. i understand buying the iphone / ipod / ipad, not that i have ever owned any of them, i prefer android/HTC to iphone.
    Too cool for a signature

  11. #291
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    good for them.

    still i will never buy a mac until they make them cheaper and let me replace parts and stuff in them, i never understood why someone would buy a mac when you build a better pc for half the price. i understand buying the iphone / ipod / ipad, not that i have ever owned any of them, i prefer android/HTC to iphone.
    Thats fairly obvious why people do this. Not everyone (read: hardly anyone in hard numbers) has the knowledge to build their own PC. I've had my share of Apple vs. the rest of the world discussion and I always play the devils advocate.

    Apple wins in the 'make products for people that need it simple'. Because of that simple fact you will see many people use a Mac over a normal PC, they don't like a PC because it's too complicated. (Plus, Apple fanboys love using the argument that a Windows based machine keeps breaking down within a short amount of time or completely doesn't do what it's supposed to do... oddly enough I still have to experience this, but okay...) Still this argument is invalid, because it's actually the OS that makes it 'simple'. You can just as well buy your own pc and then install MacOS on it, although this can be quite a challenge, so just buying a entire sytem with everything pre-installed is again... well, easier.

    On the other hand, I always ask Mac buyers the price of their products, especially with Mac Books and iMacs. Then I create a similar hardware spec system and show them the price I would have to pay for that similar system. Then they usually counter-attack by saying the components that Apple uses are actually different, not buyable in normal stores, or simply 'special'. This especially makes me chuckle...

    Ah well... luckily Apple vs. The rest is the only argument that will probably go on for the rest of our silly little lives.

    Oh wait... religion anyone? :P

  12. #292
    Quote Originally Posted by mludd View Post
    How nice, personally I'm a software developer and I've had an active interest in computers and electronics since I was eight years old (as I stated earlier in the thread my first computer was an SVI-328 with 64 kB of RAM). I've been both a helldesk monkey and a sysadmin (for a load-balanced Linux cluster to be specific) in the past. Like you I have been using Linux since the mid-90s. So, by extending your appeal to authority argument my opinion should be worth as much as yours.
    I'm sure for some, your opinion is not only worth as much as mine, but more.
    For me, your opinion is worthless and I can't really say I believe anyone that knows how a cluster works would ever value an Apple product.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reffio View Post
    Well to be fair you obviously do expect a medal. And again your posting stuff on the internet where no-one believes you. The fact you LOL'd at something earlier puts a shadow on your claim job title/abilities!
    Oooooh, why don't you spend 30 minutes telling me who believes me and what I expect, since you're obviously as good with people as you are with computers. OH WA-.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reffio View Post
    Now you want the average consumer to find all the parts and now find someone who won't charge to put everything together for them?
    Your either showing your ignorance or your being deliberately obtuse.
    Cause that's stupid and impossible, right? As impossible as, say, finding your way to a dungeon or executing a 3 button rotation.
    Yeees, I can clearly see where you're coming from.

    As I said earlier, there are forums filled with enthusiasts that will tell you exactly what's worth buying and where you can get it cheaper. MMO-Champion has such a section. Tom's Hardware has such section(s). Overclockers has it. It takes 5 minutes to find out what to buy, 15 minutes to put it all together and "OK", say, 30 minutes to figure out what goes where. If you make over $2000/hour, you can afford it, grats. If you don't, please, don't be so shocked to find out what others think of you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reffio View Post
    By the way - why is someone a dumbarse for having the disposable income to not have to care about spending that additional money?
    Typical fanboy argument. "yes, I can afford it". No, you can't. No one can, unless they have millions of euros (and I'm pretty sure those people don't have time to argue on forums). That's exactly why you're paying for that shit. It's because you CAN'T afford it, but think other will think that you CAN. No.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reffio View Post
    Also who is demanding respect for purchasing something? Your the one creating an issue out of it. If someone purchases something that they are happy with and even knowingly paid more than something else that will do a similar job - why are they a dumbarse again? Oh that's right it's your unsubstantiated opinion that makes them a dumbarse.
    Because, as the other fanboi pointed out, Apple rips them off. If you get ripped off, you're a dumbass, that simple.
    Are they smarter just because they DON'T know they got ripped off? Personally, I don't think so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reffio View Post
    It's their choice as its your choice to have an opinion. Saying someone's a dumbarse for not agreeing with your opinion pretty much shows your mental age
    My mental age is irrelevant. I could be 13 or 33, it still wouldn't change the fact that thousands of morons are paying 2000 to have a shitty PC with an apple engraved on it when they could get much better quality and performance for that amount or hell, coke and whores, for all I care. You're arguing that they're not dumbasses. Fine. They're superior human beings. Sure wish I knew more of them, got a lot of bridges to sell.

    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    People who don't build their PC are not necessarily paying $2000
    If you read the thread from the beginning, as opposed to just jumping in and failing at having an opinion, you'll see I've already shown prices. 3600 if you buy an IMAC. 1300 for the exact same components (minus monitor, mouse and keyboard - all 3 worth 300?) from newegg. Basically, you're paying 2000 for having a white monitor, a white keyboard and a white mouse. Here's a bucket of paint, knock yourself out.

  13. #293
    Of course their profits are through the roof, so are their prices.
    An Apple fanboy called me a retard.
    In the real world that makes me a genius.

  14. #294
    Quote Originally Posted by Taen View Post
    Cool opinion you have there. Too bad most people in the tech industry disagree with you. iOS is still the #1 mobile operating system, the iPhone is still the most sophisticated piece of hardware in mobile tech, and the MacBook line are the most well-built consumer computers in existence.

    The iPad had zero competition until a few months ago (ASUS Transformer) and the MacBook Air had no competition until a few weeks ago (the amazing new Ultrabooks viewed at CES)

    Being an anti-Apple fanatic is just as bad as being an Apple fanatic. Just for the record.
    A big part of this thread seems to disagree with you. I don't care about anyones opinion about my opinion, I still don't want Apply products in my house. I'm sure the iPhone, iPad and iPods and iWhatevertheshits are decent products - I genuinely have no problem with that, per se, what I do have a problem with is all the things being mentioned by plenty other people in this thread. Re-released re-releases waaaay often (and people actually buy them all, lol), prices that are absolutely astronomical (The Macbook Air is one hell of a sexy piece of laptop, I want one, but at that price, there's no hardware in heaven that would convince me to buy a laptop at said price), and software tie-ups. The latter is probably my biggest gripe - I don't want to use iTunes, I don't want to use this, I don't want to use that. I want to use the software I CHOSE to use, because I did so, for a reason. But with Apple products you can't, not with ease anyway, because they're forcing it down your throat.

    Doesn't matter if they have all the flashy crap you say they have, if they can't make it an attractive option, even with all those +++ you list.

    Reason people buy it so much is mostly vanity, Apple has become a fashion statement, and, while there's nothing inherently wrong with that, it's a sad story for us who are critical of what we buy into.

    So, yeah, cool opinion you have there, too.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.

  15. #295
    I really do love topics that mention apple or iphones or mac's in them, it's really impressive to watch the pure amount of replies from people saying.

    "Stupid apple fanbois"
    "Shoulda bought a PC"
    "Shoulda bought an Android"
    "Windows is better"
    "Mac's are overpriced rubbish"
    "Mac's are for idiots that don't know how to use a computer"

    etc etc etc..

    However i've yet to see a topic about PC's or Windows where these "Apple fanbois" jump in with similar comments. I am probably what people consider to be an "apple fanboi" I use a macbook pro, i have an iPhone and iPad and an appleTV, however, i'm also IT manager and Head Developer at my firm and I spend my life constantly telling people that they can't have a Mac to work on. Why? Because I know that they are not right for those people. I don't treat my apple products as fashion objects, they're tools for work.

    The way the mac->iphone->ipad connect together is perfect for me even more so since iCloud. I love music, i have an iTunes match account meaning I can stream my music anywhere I am without needing a stupid amount of storage space. I love watching TV series' and Movies, my Windows based PC has itunes running so I can stream music/video to every device in my house without thinking twice about it. Yes other devices on the market will do this, but not out of the box and simplicity is great no matter how much of a tech person you are. I know my macbook won't play many games, but that's why I have a PS3 and I also have a Windows based PC for the odd games like SW:TOR I want to play.

    Am I someone who only uses these items because they are so simple to use? No, not at all. I spend most of my work day in a Terminal window managing Linux based servers, or in Coda (my personal text editor preference) writing Python, php, C++ etc etc code. So I know what i'm doing when it comes to computers, I like the design of the mac OSX as standard, and the small things I don't like I can tweak. I like that i'm on a nix based operating system, meaning I can drop into terminal mode and do things quickly and easily.

    I've been using computers for a long time, programming in GW Basic when MS Dos was all you could get on computers. I used Windows 3.1, 95, ME, XP and then I started using Linux. The logical progression path from there was to Mac OS for the much wider range of software available with the stability of a Nix based OS. It's quite funny that back in those Linux days, I used to laugh at people for using Windows because Windows was for the people that weren't tech savvy. And really, it still is!

    In a final note, people need to understand the difference between Apple and Android and Apple and Windows. Apple are both a hardware and software company, the majority of apple software (especially the OS) runs only on apple hardware. Android and Windows are operating systems written by Software (if it's fair to use that for google) Companies. They are universal and work with lots of different hardware. This means it's very unfair to compare iOS usage to Android usage. If iOS was available on other devices, i'd place a bet that we'd see a lot less Android based devices on the market. I should probably link this latest Q4 article though. For those wondering, it states that iOS holds 44.9% of the market share while Android holds 44.8% not bad really when you consider the multitude of cheap handsets Android currently runs on.

    tldr..

    Why try and insult someone because of their choice?
    Apple hardware all "Just works" together (to coin their own phrase)
    If I want to play games, i'll use a games console thanks
    I know computers and personally I like Apple
    Comparing Apple to Android and Windows isn't exactly a fair comparison.

  16. #296
    While the numbers are true, its the means to their end that counts. Their success is based on a string of idea thefts, petty patent lawsuits and millions spent on convincing advertising rather then innovative products (unfortunately advertising the zombie horde falls for).

    Apple is to technology as China is to freedom of speech. NOT A GOOD THING.

    Apple is nothing but last generation tech, stuck in a shiny case. Not to mention the completely locked down Operating System, apple totally supports being innovative......NOT!!!
    The saddest part; so many sheeple have bought into APPLE HYSTERIA, other companies are coming along thinking it is OK to sell equally half-arsed products as long as they have an equally shiny case and it supports angry birds. /rolls eyes

  17. #297
    Fluffy Kitten Cambria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rapture
    Posts
    9,381
    How has this stayed open for 15 pages o_o

    Just throwing this out there, but what people like to personally use for their phone, tablet, or computer is not that big of a deal. People are acting like whatever they don't use kill small fluffy animals to build their product. This shit is really not worth going completely off on each other over, and really not worth the bans a lot of people will be getting from this thread. =/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •