Question Multiple volume controls question

I have a simple audio question that I was hoping someone here could help me out with. When my audio's volume is being controlled by several separate controls, is there some sort of proper balancing act between the volume controls to get the best audio quality?

For Example: I have my macbook pro connected to an old Concept 6.5 Stereo Receiver that is powering two 8inch ceiling speakers. If I play music out of itunes, three different volume controls are active. itunes itself, the macbook's volume, and the volume control on the stereo receiver. Generally, I have both the itunes' and the macbook's volume up to max, and then about mid level volume on the receiver.

It may be dumb question, but I'm curious if there is more to it than I'm aware of.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I know, the volume levels simply change how loud it is coming out, not necessarily the audio quality. Other than, of course, blaringly loud = gonna ruin your speakers eventually depending on the quality of the speakers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Invariably
    - External volume controls such as Remote Controls, Keyboards tend to change the Windows System Volume. (Confirmed when I tried turning down the volume while my system default was speakers and media player was TV. Speakers changed, TV didn't.)
    - Volume controls within software tend to control the media player's volume. (unless otherwise stated)
    - Controls directly connected to the hardware (Speakers/Bass/Central Unit) tend to control the hardware output.

Typically I've found that having all software volume settings between 50% and 80% (Most people recommend 100% but I get the feeling that introduces software boosting/amplification) and altering the hardware volume accordingly yields the best quality results.

(Also "blaringly loud sound"... ruins not only the quality of the sound... but your ability to distinguish between different frequencies of sound.)
    Last edited by Djinni; 2012-01-26 at 09:56 PM.

The only time it would be an issue is if you're overloading the input of some device and causing distortion. If there isn't distortion, you're fine. Usually I prefer to have all devices in the chain at full volume, then using the final device to control the output level