Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Raymond E. Feist's series is amazing. Also the first book got broken up into Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master. Overall the series is phenomenal. Each series is about 3-4 books but all of the series follow a timeline so in total there are like 25+ books. My favorite series is the Serpent War. Rupert Avery and Erik Von Darkmoor FTW.
    Last edited by mark182ass; 2012-02-01 at 04:56 AM.

Frank Herbert's Dune Series. One, Three and Five are the best(6 total). Two is kind of slow, but 3-5 more then make up for it. Read it 8 years ago for the first time, and still my favorite series. Where the series starts and where it ends... it's hard to wrap your mind around. Blew mine. But I just noticed you wanted fantasy recommendations not sci-fi so...

R.A Salvatore's Drizzt series, mentioned earlier, is some really good fantasy. Especially if you like in depth descriptions of epic combat in a fantasy setting.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2012-02-01 at 05:02 AM. Reason: added
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh god... I was going to make a thread like this like literally in the next 1-2 days.

I've read:
    Sword of Truth - Really, really good but it was fairly predictable (you always know the main characters will be alive and happy at the end of every book or plot, just not the "how")
    Wheel of Time - Amazing. Just everything about it is so good. The middle books were getting very boring but the new author has revitalized it. I love it.
    The Inheritance Cycle - Was fairly good. Definitely worth the time. I'm not a HUGE dragon fan or anything, but I definitely don't mind at all if the books have dragons.
    Song of Ice and Fire - Amazing. The unpredictably and the break from stereotypical fantasy is refreshing. The author is just incredible at keeping things so unknown and at keeping the characters so they all have different personalities, plots, and secrets.

Plot is the #1 thing that matters to me in any story. Descriptions are irrelevant due to how I read (some say it is like a robot), but personalities are nice. I was that person who read all the text bubbles in the comic books and just flipped the page if there was nothing to read on it. Who cares about pictures and battle scenes anyway!?

I really appreciate the recommendations here and am bookmarking this. I'm so glad I clicked on this before I went to bed.
    Last edited by Simca; 2012-02-01 at 04:59 AM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Seems like you're into fantasy a bit, but the Ender's game series, and the music seed are great SciFi books, if you are willing to venture into that genre.
    Religion is like a penis.
    It's fine to have one.
    It's fine to be proud of it.
    But please, don't whip it out in public and wave it around,
    And please, don't try to shove it down my children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Oh god... I was going to make a thread like this like literally in the next 1-2 days.

I've read:
    Sword of Truth - Really, really good but it was fairly predictable (you always know the main characters will be alive and happy at the end of every book or plot, just not the "how")
    Wheel of Time - Amazing. Just everything about it is so good. The middle books were getting very boring but the new author has revitalized it. I love it.
    The Inheritance Cycle - Was fairly good. Definitely worth the time. I'm not a HUGE dragon fan or anything, but I definitely don't mind at all if the books have dragons.
    Song of Ice and Fire - Amazing. The unpredictably and the break from stereotypical fantasy is refreshing. The author is just incredible at keeping things so unknown and at keeping the characters so they all have different personalities, plots, and secrets.

Plot is the #1 thing that matters to me in any story. Descriptions are irrelevant due to how I read (some say it is like a robot), but personalities are nice. I was that person who read all the text bubbles in the comic books and just flipped the page if there was nothing to read on it. Who cares about pictures and battle scenes anyway!?

I really appreciate the recommendations here and am bookmarking this. I'm so glad I clicked on this before I went to bed.
    Yup, i'm rather liking the chunks of recommended stuff here too. Haven't been reading so much the last year or so but i'll likely get into it again.

---------- Post added 2012-02-01 at 05:04 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mark182ass View Post
    Raymond E. Feist's series is amazing. Also the first book got broken up into Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master. Overall the series is phenomenal. Each series is about 3-4 books but all of the series follow a timeline so in total there are like 25+ books. My favorite series is the Serpent War. Rupert Avery and Erik Von Darkmoor FTW.
    Hmmmm, that's rather a shame with the book splitting. Feist (or his publisher) DOES seem to be getting a bit money grabbing. The recent books have felt a bit flat, there was a re-relaease of magician with some extra bits the publisher cut (a couple of the other books got revisited too) that fans would obviously jump on even if they had first revision books and now it's split in 2? Bummer

REALLY good books though till the very recent bits, still highly recommend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncanîdaho View Post
    R.A Salvatore's Drizzt series, mentioned earlier, is some really good fantasy. Especially if you like in depth descriptions of epic combat in a fantasy setting.
    Weird... I just learned this name today and heard it twice already, your post and:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/102500/
    Explore deep levels of lore in a universe steeped in 10,000 years of fiction created by New York Times bestselling author R.A. Salvatore.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post

I've read:

Bookmarked this myself as well, my bank balance may take a hit tomorrow evening...

Sword Of truth, on my first read was nice. No fancy writing and as you said fairly predictable, but a good little break.

Wheel Of Time is great, looking forward to the conclusion seeing as the first draft is now done!

The Inheritance Cycle is good, shame the movie wasn't up to par. Not a heavy read, was nice for some short downtimes. My brother bought the audioCDs which are nice to listen to whilst driving (or when you have trouble sleeping)

Song Of Ice and Fire, got to the second book but couldn't buy the rest 'cos my mum wanted to get me them for my Birthday. Got to start from the beginning 'cos I've forgotten so much of it.

Seeing as you've read the Garion stories I'd also suggest the Belgarath and Polgara books, they're quite good and give some nice background to the whole thing.

Just trying to remember what's on my bookshelf.

You might like the Percy Jackson series, childrens book really but a fun read none the less.

Orcs is an excellent read, an entire book from the perspectives of the Orcs.
    Also
    Dwarfs was amazing.

if u like fantasy books then R.A Salvatore's The Dark Elf Trilogy is a really good read.
    Its the first story's of the drow/Dark Elf Drizzt Do'Urden
    it has 3 books in the trilogy and the storys contienu on after it he is in many different books just look up the story line.
    Drizzt has also been in a few games like demon stone never winternights *the new mmo* dark alliance and many others

Also to note the Trilogy after that is called *The Icewind Dale Trilogy* i own both and there is many more and sites that can show u the time lime u should read them in the Dark elf trilogy is the start of it and has been a awesome read im near the end of book 3 in the trilogy and each trilogy u can get on amazon for cheap
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2012-02-01 at 05:16 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I should add that I enjoy "The Eyes of the Dragon" by Stephen King.

It is a short read, but well worth it imo. Great story, and you feel very well connected with the characters. (or at least I did)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree w/ Idrinkwhiterussions. I've owned The Eyes of the Dragon since it came out decades ago, and actually just reread it before the holidays.

But to add to that, I'd recommend

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. This is humerous, satirical, and offbeat. And a great read.

I'd also recommend The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. While built for teens, much like Harry Potter, there is a nice depth to it.

World War Z - An awesome book written by Max Brookes about a worldwide zombie outbreak. Not your typical zombie story though and is told from many different angles and perspectives but is a definite *Must read* IMO

For me it's almost believable I mean there's a lot of detail in it. I was hooked after the first chapter.

Dresden Files is a better written and more 'adult' harry potter. The series really gets going after book 3. After that you will want to read the Codex Alera. Both of these are by Jim Butcher.

I saw Brandon Sanderson talked about earlier in thread. He is amazing, as his all his work. He just started his own 'Epic Fantasy' series, with Way of the Kings, and it is delicious.

The Culture Sci-Fi stuff by Iain M Banks is awesome, if you are ok with Sci-Fi. Very long and interesting books, and a whole series, since you are looking for something long.

Discworld (Fantasy Satire a la Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy) is very long and very good. (Terry Pratchett)

If you do read Raymond Feist, you need to stop after the Serpentwar Saga, as the books get terrible.

You could look at Orson Scott Card's 'Homecoming' Saga, although it is technically 'sci-fi', most of the elements are fantasy since it is about the decline of civilization.

Name of the Wind and Wise Mans Fear are the start of a trilogy (hopefully more!) that is very good by Patrick Rothfuss. Very large books, like Erikson or Martin length books.

If you like Malazan, Ian Cameron Esslemont (the guy who created the Malaz universe with Erikson) is also writing his own books, and although he isn't yet as good a writer as Erikson, they are good and long and entertaining, although not up to the standard of say Memories of Ice or the Chain of Dogs by Erikson. The currently released ones are 'Return of the Crimson Guard', 'Stonewielder', and in Europe 'Orb, Scepter, Throne.'

Abercrombie has been mentioned, but I will pimp him, he is a very good author and I enjoy his work so much that his new books are on the short 'preorder in hardcover' list for me.

Scott Bakker has some books out, the series is called 'The Second Apocalypse' and deals with human choices and the human condition. I did not keep reading after the first three, but the reaction to this series is either love it or hate it, and I feel it deserves a mention when these kinds of lists are done.

China Meiville has some very thick and odd books out. I thought the Best was 'The Scar', followed by 'The Kraken'.

If you need a break from 'meatier' reads and want some fun, the Warhamer 40k stuff is available in Omnibus form, so 3 books for the price of 1.5 is nice. I recommend Gaunts Ghosts by Dan Abnett.

Empire in Black and Gold by Adrian Tcha-something or other... pretty interesting stuff, not what I would call the top of the list but the series is getting longer and longer and you will enjoy it, if not love it.

As a note, this is all from someone who thinks the Malazan Book of the Fallen by Erikson is the best Epic Fantasy series ever written, so there we go.

Richard Morgan is an amazing author, the Takeshi Kovacs novels (which are sci-fi) lead into his Fantasy stuff, namely The Steel Remains and The Cold Commands.

The Lies of Locke Lamora and follow-ups by Scott Lynch are very fun reads.

The Acts of Caine are actually sci-fi, but you take 'TV Stars' and teleport their consciousness to another world that is at the 'fantasy' level setting and have them 'play' their characters and see what happens. Very good action and an impressive amount of swearing as well.

Anything by Glen Cook, my personal favorites are the Chronicles of the Black Company and the Garret, P.I. novels.

I feel like I'm leaving a lot out... if you want more recommendations, just ask and say more what you are looking for as 'fantasy' is a huge genre, and you listed quite a wide range of series there.
    Last edited by obdigore; 2012-02-01 at 05:47 AM.

Deleted

Can't believe that I haven't seen "The Book of the New Sun", "The Book of the Long Sun" and "The Book of the Short Sun" series by Gene Wolfe recommended yet.

While many fantasy authors are great at coming up with new storylines and ideas they are usually not the best writers. That is the area in which Wolfe really excels in. His works are "difficult" for new readers but extremely rewarding. I've read his books multiple times and every time I discover something new that I hadn't noticed before, some reference to his other books set in the same universe or word play that can be interpreted in different ways.

He is not the most influential or genre changing writer but the depth of his brilliantly written stories make up for that.

@ nektar

I didn't really like Severian. I much prefer "Latro in the Mist", but yes Gene Wolfe is a great author. "The Knight/The Wizard" are good as well.

Gentleman Bastards series by Scott Lynch
    Trial of Blood and Steel series by Joel Shepherd
    Green Rider series by Kristen Britain
    Orphans of Chaos trilogy by John C. Wright
    Inda series by Sherwood Smith

"Hitchhiker's Guild to the Galaxy" -Douglas Adams
    "Illusions" -Richard Bach (The adventures of a reluctant messiah, a quick read)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    @ nektar

I didn't really like Severian. I much prefer "Latro in the Mist", but yes Gene Wolfe is a great author. "The Knight/The Wizard" are good as well.
    Yeah, Severian can be hard to like especially because he's antisocial, sometimes detached from the story he himself is narrating, but as a professional torturer I think his personality (or the lack of) fits very well to him.

10+ Year Old Account
    in my opinion the song of ice and fire series has gone incredible down hill i am finding A Dance with Dragons book extremely hard to finish unlike the 1st book Game of Thrones where i couldnt put it down
    But this is my opinion and i digress

you need to check out ALL the drizzt books i dont see any on ur list of series
    -hunters blade trilogy is my favorite set but theres many
    theres a few series that is a must read that break off of this series and are either writen by the same author: RA Salvatore or by other various artists but are equally good
    --The Cleric Quintet series (i have not,unfortunately, read this series yet)
    --The Sellsword Trilogy is a must and the 1st book is actually a part of 1 of the drizzt series so after u finish that can just jump into the 2nd book of this trilogy
    --theres also the Starlight and Shadows trilogy that follows a somewhat (somewhat) minor character's daughter in the Drizzt series
    ---the War of the Spider Queen series is a very good read but every book is written by a different author,also the above series and the seige of darkness series (Drizzt series) has information and back story about a character in the series (doesnt have to be read but is interesting to know)

the dresden files are very good fantasy books
    -follows a private investigator in a normal word where people dont know about the supernatural and in the yellow pages is listed as wizard
    **these books are highly recommended they are extremely good (the show sucked however except for 1 episode)
    -theres about 13 or so books out with another in the works i believe
    -all are in sequential order so its best to start with the first: Storm Front but you dont really have to unless you really enjoy back story like i do

and the series that was sent from god
    THE HITCHHIKERS GUIDE TO THE GALAXY!!!!
    it is a "trilogy" of five hilarious books
    if you love sci fi and comedy you will read these books over and over and over again until the duck tape that you used to hold the papers in place also start to corrode from over use

i have read many books but these here are my all time favorites

try reading the eragon series, about a farmer who finds the (last) dragon egg and becomes a dragon rider, 4 books really neat series. also if you are a fan of sci fi and sorta romance try The Host by stephanie meyer, absolutely NOTHING to do with sparkely vampires its actually pretty good and worthy of the scifi title

Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    Yeah, Severian can be hard to like especially because he's antisocial, sometimes detached from the story he himself is narrating, but as a professional torturer I think his personality (or the lack of) fits very well to him.
    I think its more the inaccuracy of the narration since it is from a view of him writing his memoirs. Every woman he encountered wanted him and he always won every battle? Doubtfull.

I think Glokta from Abercrombies First Law series is a much better 'torturer' and frankly one of the best characters I have ever read.