Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lots of the games mentioned here I agree with! Hyperdimension, Lost Odyssey, Dark Messiah...all great games!

I can't really think of any off-hand, as I don't really pay attention to reviews. I watch vids of games, if they look appealing, I play them! I don't let other people steer me away from games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Nobody I know has ever played or remembers a game called Spycraft. It was by Activision and is quite an old game but in my opinion was one of the best, most enthralling games ever. Anyone ever play it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zshikara View Post
    I really enjoyed that game too. Definitely worth a playthrough if you enjoy RPGs and haven't (you being a generic term obviously).

Another I really like are the first 3 Arc The Lad games. They received such poor sales in the states because when they were released in america it was a "all or none" deal. You got all 3 arc the lad games and a bonus disc as well as some other things usually only found in collector's edition versions of games for around $80. This was a lot more expensive than any other ps1 games at the time, but it was well worth it since it gave you about 110 hours of game play for the main story alone. Very involved and strategic combat and unique characters. Great story too. I loved it, and still do to this day.
    I remember playing Twilight of the Spirits, I'd plus rep for reminding me of a game, but no dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Arisfarreach View Post
    I'd have to go with Dante's Inferno.

Maybe it's just because I'm absolutely obsessed with the Divine Comedy, but hey, they game was pretty damn amazing. The environments, graphics, and gameplay were all very good. The ending was absolutely terrible, but I loved the rest of it.
    Totally agree and for my fiancee, her vote is for Duke Nukem: Forever -- shes always been a fangirl and absolutely loved when they finally added a newer game.

I'm a rare breed here, but i love the Dynasty Warriors series.
    That whole genre gets bad reviews around here and is laughed at, but me and 2 of my friends love them.

And we can't wait for their take on One Piece.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow I was going to list Neptunia but I am surprised other people beat me to it as well as Duke Nukem Forever.

Also for me:

-Metroid: Other M (I really really liked this game no matter what anyone says, probably actually on par with Metroid 3 for me for favorite of series)

-X-Blades

-Eat Lead

-Jurassic the Hunted

-Sonic and Sega All Star Racing (I actually haven't seen reviews for it but I never hear it mentioned much)

-Evil Zone (PS1)

-all three Zelda CD-i games (yes I actually liked them)

-Hotel Mario

-Shadow Madness (PS1)

-Metal Slug 5 (less popular when compared to 3/X)

-Maku Maku (Super Famicom)

-Golden Axe Beast Rider

White Knight Chronicles BOTH of em great games IMO but horrible reviews.

Lost Odyssey as has been mentioned before.

Blue Dragon pretty classic style JRPG
    Wow all of those got bad reviews? I loved all three of them, especially Blue Dragon with its classic SNES RPG feel to it, never played the DS sequels though yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechazod View Post

Wow all of those got bad reviews? I loved all three of them, especially Blue Dragon with its classic SNES RPG feel to it, never played the DS sequels though yet.
    Well the JRPG IS the current uncool genre if ya think about it. But yeah they all got rather poor or mixed reviews.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Well the JRPG IS the current uncool genre if ya think about it. But yeah they all got rather poor or mixed reviews.
    That has kind of irked me for a while since the few turn based RPGs/SRPGs that seem to come out now a days are almost all literally made by NISA which in recent years has released some decent titles like Disgaea 4 but really like to smother their games in useless/should of been on the disk DLC which disappoints me seeing as that's my favorite genre of all time. Call it nostalgia if you want but I really miss the SNES/PS1/GBA (and to lesser extent PS2) days when JRPG style games were king.

Also another game I liked but many people seemed to dislike was Malice on PS2.

Having thought about it. My favorite game that got poor or mixed reviews is Devil May Cry 4. I still remember when X-Play gave it a 2 out of 5. I was like, DA FUCK IS THIS?!?!?!? I actually really enjoy it though, and I actually think it's better than DMC3 in some ways. Sure, DMC3 is probably better overall. More bosses, better enemy variety, more extras/unlockables, much better sub weapons. But I think DMC4 is more fun to play, and practice for hours on end. Some of DMC3's mechanics just annoy me. Target switching for example, isn't as smooth in 3.

Yet DMC4 is considered to be mediocre at best, even among most fans. Before DmC: Devil May Cry was announced, it was still the cool thing to hate DMC4.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Having thought about it. My favorite game that got poor or mixed reviews is Devil May Cry 4. I still remember when X-Play gave it a 2 out of 5. .
    Xplay was on the air when that was released?

10+ Year Old Account
    Resonance of Fate:
    This game came out the same day as Final Fantasy XIII. The problem most reviewers seemed to have was that it had a complex battle system, which it did. The problem they also had was that they never bothered to try to figure it out. For me, it was a welcome change in the JRPG space, which was largely dominated by simple games only worrying about story (an aspect of games I don't care much about) at the cost of gameplay.

I won't even attempt to describe why the battle system in this game is awesome, you just have to try it. Believe me, I tried, and I end up confusing myself. The main thing to point out is that the game basically throws you right in with just about everything you can do, while in contrast, Final Fantasy XIII held your hand for 20 hours or so (I could only make it through about 4 or 5 of them before I decided it wasn't worth it, so I'm just taking everybody else's word for it).

I always see it at EB Games (Canada's Gamestop), and I still see new copies at some grocery store with an electronics section (usually the best place for old games). If you have the patience to play a game where you could see a game over screen, it's definitely worth picking up.

I'll second the Blue Dragon statement, but for the most part, I think the reviews were fair. If it came out today, it would have done better because it's far enough gone from the classic gameplay it presented. If you're looking for the spiritual successor to Final Fantasy V, Blue Dragon is it. I would chalk up Blue Dragon as a mediocre game that I really liked, if that makes any sense.

---------- Post added 2012-01-26 at 08:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TigglyBiggly View Post
    X-Play has been around since at least 2003. Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb were the hosts when I watched it back then even.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TigglyBiggly View Post
    Xplay was originally called extended play andvwas on techtv back in the late 90s. Yep adams been doin it that long. As for xplay they switched to that title around 2000-2003. Don't watch it anymore myself though. Their reviews have become WAY too biased and backwards IMO. Faulting one game for the same style while giving other games a 5/5 when they're basically rehashes.

Deleted
    I'm a rare breed here, but i love the Dynasty Warriors series.
    That whole genre gets bad reviews around here and is laughed at, but me and 2 of my friends love them.
    Finally someone named it;> I personally also love the Dynasty Warriors series and have played them all (except the last Extreme Legends one). I totally love the series and seem to be able to play it non-stop.

Other games that often don't get the best of reviews here are the games of the 'Tales of' series from Namco-Bandai. I totally adore the series and it's (with Breath of Fire, hoping 6 will ever come) my favourite RPG series. It hurts when I see another Tales game gets such a crap review here in the west when in the east it gets rated so well

And lastly, I would have to say Nier. Nier got totally shot down here, but the game is amazing in my opinion. It's not that graphicwise or anything it was that amazing, but the gameplay, and moreso, the emotional connection with the game (so to speak) was incredible. The story is incredibly tragic and you really feel for what happens there. Great game!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevegasm View Post
    Resonance of Fate:
    This game came out the same day as Final Fantasy XIII. The problem most reviewers seemed to have was that it had a complex battle system, which it did. The problem they also had was that they never bothered to try to figure it out. For me, it was a welcome change in the JRPG space, which was largely dominated by simple games only worrying about story (an aspect of games I don't care much about) at the cost of gameplay.

I won't even attempt to describe why the battle system in this game is awesome, you just have to try it. Believe me, I tried, and I end up confusing myself. The main thing to point out is that the game basically throws you right in with just about everything you can do, while in contrast, Final Fantasy XIII held your hand for 20 hours or so (I could only make it through about 4 or 5 of them before I decided it wasn't worth it, so I'm just taking everybody else's word for it).

X-Play has been around since at least 2003. Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb were the hosts when I watched it back then even.
    I played Resonance of Fate until I got into a fight, I sat there in horror as I selected the attack button and nothing happened, 5 minutes later I had a game over screen. Granted it might be a good game, but I would have highly suggested a scripted beginning to teach you how to play. The only thing I disliked about FF 13 was that it was on the rails, well that and the Paradigms were kinda gimmicky, but they were fun for a while!

The X-Play quip was a joke, I hardly ever see it on nowadays.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvena123 View Post
    Finally someone named it;> I personally also love the Dynasty Warriors series and have played them all (except the last Extreme Legends one). I totally love the series and seem to be able to play it non-stop.

Other games that often don't get the best of reviews here are the games of the 'Tales of' series from Namco-Bandai. I totally adore the series and it's (with Breath of Fire, hoping 6 will ever come) my favourite RPG series. It hurts when I see another Tales game gets such a crap review here in the west when in the east it gets rated so well

And lastly, I would have to say Nier. Nier got totally shot down here, but the game is amazing in my opinion. It's not that graphicwise or anything it was that amazing, but the gameplay, and moreso, the emotional connection with the game (so to speak) was incredible. The story is incredibly tragic and you really feel for what happens there. Great game!
    What sucks about BoF is that a company WANTS to make it but capcom won;t let em and they obviously have no intention too. I once heard that some guys even wanted Fou Lou to be in Marvel vs. capcom 3. Though i for one want one of the BoF Ryus in it.

As for tales yeah great series been a fan since destiny 2/eternia. Was my first game in the series(random gift card purchase) and i loved it so much i then picked up destiny and well yeah i've gotten pretty much all US releases i even have Abyss 3D on preorder even though i own the original. Oh and the ones i'm missing are Legendia and umm i can't think of any other US release tales i'm missing. Oh i also own BoF3 and Tales of Eternia for the PSP god do i love region free devices(american so imported). I also have the BoF4 PS3 PSN version as wel as the original LOL. Yeah i'm a REALLY big JRPG fan.

15+ Year Old Account
    So many Q64 fans.
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy crap I cant believe I forgot about this one. I was literally stunned when I saw some reviews for the game after playing it. For me it felt like this generations version of Ocarina of Time, freaking loved it.

Another game I enjoyed was Banjo-Kazzoie Nuts&Bolts, though of course no where as fun for me as the original two I still thought it was enjoyable and really kept the series classic feel to it even if it was 95% vehicle based. If you play the game without expecting it to be Banjo-Threeie then I think a lot more people would of liked it.

Also Socket on the Mega Drive, it may be a really obvious Sonic clone but its still a damn good one.

10+ Year Old Account
    The game got a solid rating (and it was well deserved) from most sites but it was one of those games that just went under the radar to be honest (the whole series really). I'm talking about The Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, great story and even better dialogue (one of the best in old school gaming).

P.S. Its protagonist is the guy in my avatar
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

Quote Originally Posted by ElAmigo View Post
    The game got a solid rating (and it was well deserved) from most sites but it was one of those games that just went under the radar to be honest (the whole series really). I'm talking about The Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, great story and even better dialogue (one of the best in old school gaming).

Soul Reaver was one of the first graphically impressive puzzle-based storytelling 3D action platformer, without load times, released on the pc. I killed hours, weeks, months, in that game when I was young. It's absolutely fantastic in each and every way. The music, the sounds, the voiceovers.

I disliked all sequals to Soul Reaver, but I did like Blood Omen 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ElAmigo View Post

Funny thing about the kain games is that if i recall right they were ORIGINALLY planned to be sequels/a remake of an old game and one that is arguably the hardest game in gaming history Chakan:The Forever man. But i heard they canned that idea since the new generation of gamers supposedly couldn't handle the difficulty and they didn't wanna lose sales. Oh and if you didn't know NO ONE has beaten Chakan legit. it had built in codes but by the end they were pretty much required. It was so hard they didn't even put in an ENDING yep no ending just an hourglass no text no nothing. I ma proud to say i played this game. But yeah funny stuff.