10+ Year Old Account

Heroic Spine of Deathwing as Holy

Hello! I'm an MS Disc priest that has been asked to go Holy for Heroic Spine, I completely understand the validity of that decision but my question right now is what trinkets I should use. I heard that Jaws of Defeat is bank for Holy Priests on Spine but that is one trinket I never got, I'm thinking on buying the spirit one from VP just for the spirit because I think, for Holy, I'm kind of lacking in the spirit department.

I currently have Heroic Seal of the Seven Signs and Heroic Eye of Blazing Power (the Heart of Unliving has dropped ONE time, and that was back when it didn't have int) on me, I also have the Rune of Zeth from FL in my bank. I know my options are to buy the Fiery Quint from FL, the Spirit one from VP or doing FL and hoping the Jaws drop. Best case scenario would be that I had Heart of Unliving, in which case I would not be making this post. FML. What do you think?

PS: I also do NOT have 4p, I was thinking I should downgrade to my FL 4p just for the extra healing.

Thanks for your suggestions!
    -Odd
    Last edited by ODDLAWL; 2012-01-26 at 12:11 PM.
    [/CENTER]

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Farm the LFR version of Heart of Unliving. The VP spirit trinket is awful.

T12 4piece is nothing special. The boost in stats from current tier gear fair outweighs that.
    Like Tihr said, LFR heart of unliving would be your best bet if you want to try getting it.
    The VP trinket for me is really poor and not worth buying.
    Also try farming the new heroics, the 378 foul gift of the demon lord (well of eternity drop) is very good imo.

there is nothing wrong with the valor trinket, 2000+ spellpower for hymns/pohs and extra regen (which as holy you will need on spine) make it at least decent

Quote Originally Posted by Ayreon View Post
    there is nothing wrong with the valor trinket, 2000+ spellpower for hymns/pohs and extra regen (which as holy you will need on spine) make it at least decent
    2000sp doesn't give extra regen. If you really want a static spirit trinket, the firelands fiery quintesence is far superior due to the 25s duration on it's /use effect (as opposed to 15s) AND it's intellect instead of SP meaning it scales better (hymn of hope, arcane torrent, shadowfiend, cloth user 5%, archangel if you spec'd it as holy + passive regen and a whole load of other stuff I'm probably forgetting).

10+ Year Old Account
    Forgot to mention that I've been doing LFR since release, I still don't have 4p, and the heart hasn't dropped yet (LFR or Raid). So I'm very fucked because we're starting H Spine progression in two days, and I'm already saved to LFR. Would Fiery Quint be better than the Eye of Blazing Power? I also have the Eye of Mortality in my bank :/
    [/CENTER]

I have NO face time on spine, all I'm offering here is some numbers that maybe could help put some perspective on your question. I can't make a recommendation :b

-----
    I don't care for EoBP as holy since it adds nothing but baseline HPS. At least WH's procs tend to concentrate around your highest HPS bursts. Although, on the flip side some extra baseline HPS probably works fine for spine since it'll help with debuffs.

It's hard to make a comparison other than to say spirit is definitely worth more than int on spine, since you have to maintain ~6 renews+Sanc/CoH for 11 minutes straight.

Say EoBP is 433 int and a flat 800 HPS, also that extra HPS will almost always go to a debuff. That's about half a renew.
    While FQ is 383 spi with its mini cooldown... averaging 320 int.
    Heroic FoM - 363 int with its spirit proc worth an average of... 360 spirit.
    Compared this way H FoM and FQ look pretty comparable, but I've always thought of H FoM as vastly superior. I'm not really sure.

Some things you can do to help your kit match holy a little better.... HS/DG in lieu of PT/LW. Look up priests with ranked kills on spine, you'll see a lot of them are doing this. Purple gems in red sockets, blue gems in blue sockets - again, look up profiles of ranked priests. Spirit is worth more than int on this fight.

--
    Edit: Thought more about this, how to compare healing proc trinkets to regen trinkets... It may be that healing proc trinkets could be incredibly good for this fight. Someone tell me what I'm missing in my reasoning... I compare their throughput to renew and use that for an mp5 conversion, since how much you get to cast renew is the biggest thing regen affects.

- Suppose EoBP is a flat 500 HPS with no overheal. Smart heals should almost never overheal on spine, so it should actually be about 500 HPS. I got this figure from WoL, it seems to be about what EoBP actually does
    - My renew lasts 13.3 seconds and costs 2625 from IW. Keeping 1 renew going constantly costs 1.1k mp5
    - My renew does 2k + 2.8k*5 = 16k
    - So 1 renew kept going constantly is about 1.2k HPS, and EoBP's throughput is about two fifths of a renew.
    - Using my numbers for renew as a conversion (assuming the only thing that changes in your execution is how many renews you get to cast) EoBP is worth about 450 mp5, or 410 spirit. HUMMMMM....

WW's proc does more leg work - comparing WH to renew, WH would be at about 650 mp5. But can they proc on renew ticks? My proc interval for WH on spine is about 40 seconds, so I'd say they can. But, need more info.

Anyone can feel free to tell me where I'm wrong here, this is all speculation
    Last edited by zakaluka; 2012-01-26 at 11:32 PM.

If you want a better shot at the trinket queue up with a full group of healers and ask them to roll on it for you, that way you make sure that the 5k hps druid doesn't win it over you should it drop...

Tsunami deck is a good stop gap if you're having drop issues.
    The Eye of Blazing Power and the VP trinkets are both pretty terrible.

You could also try and get a heroic Jaws of Defeat. It works very well in DS

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for your math and replies! I'm going to do Firelands today and hope that the H Jaws drop if not, I think Fiery Quint is my best bet since I don't have H FoM but only normal. I was looking at the ranked Holy Priests on Spine; Harsha, the Chinese player, is wearing 4p T12 on his armory, but since the kill log doesn't show the 4p T12 proc I'm going to guess he used something else; he doesn't have HotU but he IS using Jaws AND the WwH, he favors Int gems. Jelly is using 4p T13 and he DOES have HotU, he also favors Int gems. They both went for heavy mastery and stuck to int gems, which I think is what I'm going to do.

They both have insane amounts of spirit, must.acquire.spirit!
    [/CENTER]

A little bit offtopic here: See if you can go Disc for Spine; you'll most likely need the DPS Disc can put out. Disc's shields also help plenty for when you decide to AoE the Bloods down.
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

If you're holy, you definitely should be renew spamming. Put a renew on any target that gets healing debuff- it will not overheal since the debuff is so huge and takes time. Be in HW Sanc chakra, as it boosts renew heal. Be in inner will, so you don't oom. HW Sanc off cooldown, CoH off cooldown, POM off cooldown on tanks. Most of your spells will be instant, so dump haste to 12.5% raid buffed, dump your mastery since it sucks for renew, and max your crit. It's a completely different animal from any other DS fight.

If you don't have a disc, bubble anyone who gets both the healing debuff and grip. Holy priests also have PWShield, I dunno why people seem to forget that.

Remember, reforge OUT OF haste and mastery, and INTO crit and spirit. Reforging to crit goes against everything you've done so far in DS, but that's the way this fight works. You will be doing very very little heal/gheal, and only PoH during explosion phases.
    Last edited by Blergy; 2012-02-24 at 05:14 PM.

I've posted a spine holy PoV video in the priest video pov thread.. its not yet in the first post, but you can find it on the last page of the thread

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blergy View Post
    If you're holy, you definitely should be renew spamming. Put a renew on any target that gets healing debuff- it will not overheal since the debuff is so huge and takes time. Be in HW Sanc chakra, as it boosts renew heal. Be in inner will, so you don't oom. HW Sanc off cooldown, CoH off cooldown, POM off cooldown on tanks. Most of your spells will be instant, so dump haste to 12.5% raid buffed, dump your mastery since it sucks for renew, and max your crit. It's a completely different animal from any other DS fight.

If you don't have a disc, bubble anyone who gets both the healing debuff and grip. Holy priests also have PWShield, I dunno why people seem to forget that.

Remember, reforge OUT OF haste and mastery, and INTO crit and spirit. Reforging to crit goes against everything you've done so far in DS, but that's the way this fight works. You will be doing very very little heal/gheal, and only PoH during explosion phases.
    Everything this guy said. Plus make sure you use your Lightwell on CD. And hymn effectively either during the Nuclear explosion or just after a roll as that is when it is most going to be needed.

Also don't forget you are a power house when it comes to kiting the bloods. Grip & speedshields are second to none here.

Renew spam like a BOSS! Sanc down all the time with CoH and PoM being used proactively. Save hymns for when you know damage going to get hectic and make those baddies click the light well.

Do not look at recount for healing done either because you won't impressed until you look at WoL.

Deleted
    I find it weird, are those advices appliying to 10man too ? renew spam ? maybe there is more debuffs on 25 man ?

Renewing is probably more effective on 25man because of more debuffs meaning less overheal. Take a look at the top ranks for this fight as holy in 25m, Almost all the Hpriests are doing a renew build with as much spirit as they can acquire. It also allows you to use HJaws with great efficiency. The only other advice I can give that hasn't been already stated is that if you are using B&S on your kiter you will need to pay attention closely as you will continually be using CoH/PoM/Sanc/Lightwell/Renew and will not have those few seconds where you were previously casting Gheals to asses what's going on kiting/elsewhere in the raid. Also Glyph for fade cost as once you're on the 3rd plate (and esp after the 3rd roll) you will be pulling threat on fresh blood spawns like a boss.

Deleted
    Anyone having issues with aggro whilst healing this fight (25)? Our healers have been getting threat from bloods on the 3rd plate when our tank starts kiting (and our kitty goes bear and starts tanking blood). Each time we're about to get our 6th lift our healers fall over and we wipe (before the amalg is stacked to 9)

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Stand near the amalgamation tank (ours is a Druid, and he's spamming Swipe/Thrash to pick up stray bloods, which our blood tank then picks up), or at the plate, as far away from the bloods as possible. Remember to Fade if you get aggro.