Poll: Should there be restrictions on where one can smoke?

Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zechs-cenarius View Post
    Regulated under what justification? Its at best biased information based on who you talk to. Nothing has been proven as concrete. Thats why regulations should not be imposed at this time. The fact that smokers get taxed additionally for their cigarettes under the presumption they will develop cancer is ridiculous. Every fat person should then be taxed by the same rate because of all the presumed health issues they will have later in life.
    There are things that are illegal that do not have health risks to other individuals. Walking down the street drinking, public nudity, and unreasonably loud music (especially at night).

These things aren't illegal because they give cancer to bystanders - simply because they are a nuisance, and make other people unhappy and uncomfortable. There's already reason enough to have regulation on cigarettes - the health risks are just the nail to seal the coffin.

10+ Year Old Account
    do what Aust does. 20 bucks a pack

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zechs-cenarius View Post
    McDonalds is not as beneficial, has less than 5 benefits and the contents in which their food has been shown to have cause a myriad of other diseases and ailments....should it be banned as well? Anyone wonder why the surgeon general's warning does not say definitively that smoking WILL cause cancer? The studies show that it *may* increase your risk. The argument that people say it stinks and is disgusting and should be banned is ridiculous. It comes from the fact that the fear creators to the anti-smoking campaign have shotty medical evidence to clearly show that smoking WILL cause cancer. Like I said in a previous post, the primary reason why people want this banned is either they are misinformed and gave into the fear creating anti-smoking campaigns or they find it disgusting.
    I agree that the "it smells and is disgusting" argument doesn't work. And that fast-food is bad for you. I'm not arguing that is should be flat-out banned; if you look at my previous posts you'll find that my opinion on the matter is that it should be banned in public buildings (schools, hospitals, museums, etc) and most restaurants. However, if you're the owner of something like a bar or a club, it should be the owners right to decide whether or not they want to allow people to smoke inside their establishment, as long as they let people know before entering. And I'm fine with people smoking outside of buildings. I don't hang out around the entrance to a building, and the very short amount of time I do happen to pass through a group of smokers is a very small amount of time. So don't think I'm for an all-out ban, because I'm not.

Also, as I've stated again and again, if you can show me proof that the evidence we have is in some way flawed, I will agree with you. Every source I see claiming corrupted data are themselves untrustworthy, be it a pro-smoking bias, or just pure ignorance.

@Pat1234

That would be a better solution, in my opinion. Stricter regulations on the actual "ingredients" of cigarettes would probably more effective than increasing prices.
    Last edited by Grizzly Willy; 2012-01-29 at 05:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enders View Post
    That's pretty ignorant. I read that of the carbon dioxide emitted into the air, only about 3% of it is human-made. So any additional carbon dioxide released from smoking is absolutely and utterly negligible in the grand scheme of things.
    You thought I was serious? My bad.
    Now, THIS thing? THIS thing is horrible. It's just awful. It was awful at 60 and it was awful at 58. It's awful at 45. If this dropped off a mob in Wailing Caverns when you were level 17 and being run through by a higher level character, you would equip it ONLY because you don't have trinkets at that level, and it would STILL SUCK.
    -Wowhead user on the Lion Horn of Stormwind, an epic from the era of so-called "EPIC" epics.

I wish they'd just make it illegal. Lots of people try smoking when they're teens because it's 'cool' and end up having addiction problems with it since it's so easy to get. Atleast it would make less people smoke if it was illegal, and it would never be done in public. If you want to poison yourself, don't do it around me. I don't deserve to inhale that unhealthy stuff just because you have an addiction and can't do it somewhere private/away from people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaux View Post
    I don't believe tobacco is the most harmful component in a cigarette, I think it's the paper and filter.
    Unprocessed tobacco+ pipe = win
    the filter is there for a reason. to reduce harm to the smoker. hence sometimes people saying its more harmful the people around the smoker than to the smoker itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Here, Ill make it ez and fun for you. I suggest watching the entire program, there are top scientist talking about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGApkbcaZK4
    Hmm, that was actually somewhat interesting. I didn't know that.

I still don't smoke around people who don't like it though simply because I remember how much it burned my eyes when I was a nonsmoker.
    Last edited by Collegeguy; 2012-01-30 at 10:40 AM.

Deleted
    Personally, I'd like all indoor areas to be non-smoking areas.

Simply because no matter how hard you try, the smoke/smell will always stay inside.
    And that's really annoying for any non-smokers.

Outside is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Feel free to harm your own body, but keep it away from me.
    ^ This. (answertooshortblabla)

Even when I smoked I wouldn't smoke in an indoor space with other people who don't, it's just rude.

In outdoor spaces the worst part is probably the smell, unless you're hovering over top of the smoker, what's naturally in the air is probably worse than the little amount of smoke that makes it to you. That being said, I smoked in designated smoking areas or my porch, so if you were hanging around those areas, it's your own choice. I still wouldn't smoke in smoking areas that were in natural walking paths or in front of doors though, again just rude.

Quote Originally Posted by achaeon View Post
    Even when I smoked I wouldn't smoke in an indoor space with other people who don't, it's just rude.

In outdoor spaces the worst part is probably the smell, unless you're hovering over top of the smoker, what's naturally in the air is probably worse than the little amount of smoke that makes it to you. That being said, I smoked in designated smoking areas or my porch, so if you were hanging around those areas, it's your own choice. I still wouldn't smoke in smoking areas that were in natural walking paths or in front of doors though, again just rude.
    I love hearing stories of polite smokers. If they were all like this, we'd have no need for regulations.

If anyone else out there is a polite smoker, share your stories. Stick it to the inconsiderate smokers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Outlawing smoking wouldn't stop anything. It's best that it keeps getting taxed.
    "I see nothing. I hear nothing. I taste victory."

"Trolling (verb): speaking your honest opinion." - you know who