Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Is it possible to dodge spells from players? Like Fireball for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    Is it possible to dodge spells from players? Like Fireball for example.
    Yup. Spells and projectiles in this game don't auto-follow.

---------- Post added 2012-01-27 at 10:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mikencarly View Post
    Please dont make fun of people for likeing wow ok? i like gw2 as well but there no need for it thanks.
    I don't really think they're making fun of WoW players, just the combat style.

When you dumb combat down to just pressing buttons in a set pattern, then well, yeah, people are gonna think it sucks. It's not dynamic (unless its PvP) and it's certainly not very fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Yup. Spells and projectiles in this game don't auto-follow.

---------- Post added 2012-01-27 at 10:35 AM ----------

I don't really think they're making fun of WoW players, just the combat style.

When you dumb combat down to just pressing buttons in a set pattern, then well, yeah, people are gonna think it sucks. It's not dynamic (unless its PvP) and it's certainly not very fun.
    Ya this game seems like a legit pvp mmo, were it will only focus on pvp. however, won't melee classes have a distinct advantage when casters need to aim? aiming is kinda difficult in a birds eye 3rd person game. or does it work like skyrim, were there is a slight assist to aiming and it zooms in to let you aim?
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mikencarly View Post
    Please dont make fun of people for likeing wow ok? i like gw2 as well but there no need for it thanks.
    I haven't seen much, or any, blatant personal attacks for liking WoW on the GW2 forum. If any exist, they are merely trolls who receive infractions or bans. Edge and the other mods do a fairly good job at infracting/banning those trolls too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    Ya this game seems like a legit pvp mmo, were it will only focus on pvp. however, won't melee classes have a distinct advantage when casters need to aim? aiming is kinda difficult in a birds eye 3rd person game. or does it work like skyrim, were there is a slight assist to aiming and it zooms in to let you aim?
    The spells automatically shoot towards the person you have targetted and they've been known to account for player movement (lead the target or whatever). If the player just regularly running about, then the ranged player will have no problem hitting the other one.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    no casters/ranged units won't have to aim like in a shooter. You click your target like in any other mmo. BUT if you have no target, then your projektile flies straight ahead and hits the first object in the way.

they will have to aim area attacks though.

Last edited by Maarius; 2012-01-27 at 05:05 PM.

Fun read, some info I did not know.

And... people have to compare new games to WoW because everyone and their mother has played it. So instead of running in here and spazing because they, in your eyes, reposted info and 'bashed' your game. I didn't really see any bashing in the OP just comparisons based on their experience (and pretty much 99% of the rest of the player base) of WoW and what they can see in the video(s). If you're not a mod then I don't see why you need to jump into a thread and start yelling about how they're 'over-hyping' or 'misinforming' people. This is hard to hear but you're not the internet police, and you're definitly not a mod. If you disagree then report the post and let the mods decide that's their job. Maybe you just get off on playing a devils advocate but if all they're doing is putting out information that you can readily get elsewhere then... well you just look like an ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Not sure how a game with millions of players and more success than any other MMO ever released is dead or dying.

The whole "Warcraft is dead/dying" thing is outrageously stupid at worse, sour grapes at best.
    Most people who are saying that are referring to the quality not quantity. Basically the populas of WoW has been changed from smart/reactive/dedicated/hard working players, to trolls/ninjas/afkers/whiners. So world of warcraft is most definitely dead, and died when WotLK released and easy mode was switched on. But, world of warcraftville/free epic tuesday is definitely still thriving.

/end offtopic

That combat system looks friggen amazing. You can LITERALLY take bullets for teammates. That's pretty sweet. O_O

Kaeja - Stormrage
    // Thanks to maybenotquiteasheavy for the Signature & Avatar! //

Quote Originally Posted by Siberia View Post
    Most people who are saying that are referring to the quality not quantity. Basically the populas of WoW has been changed from smart/reactive/dedicated/hard working players, to trolls/ninjas/afkers/whiners. So world of warcraft is most definitely dead, and died when WotLK released and easy mode was switched on. But, world of warcraftville/free epic tuesday is definitely still thriving.

/end offtopic

That combat system looks friggen amazing. You can LITERALLY take bullets for teammates. That's pretty sweet. O_O
    World of Warcraft was always intended to be broad. The greatest innovation Blizzard brought to the genre were ease of play and speed of play.

Seems kinda foolish to expect Warcraft would be be closer to EQ template it had began as, instead of the "accessible 4 all" template they pioneered.

I understand Warcraft may not be the same game many enjoyed in the past. That's okay. Dead or dying though? Probably a case of sour grapes/familiarity-breeds-contempt from players than anything rational or rigorous.

Warcraft's gloried past was in it's raiding endgame. As I understand it, heroic raids are still exclusionary to a large part of the player base at new tiers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    I disagree, not all of us are like this.
    I never said this. I've corrected people as well. I'll try to explain the difference with an example.

TotalNoob54: "This game has a very Asian visual style, I don't like the way it looks."
    This statement has something incorrect, and an opinion.
    CorrectResponse: "The game does not look very Asian, actually. These screens are from a Korean demo, where they did do things to appeal to that audience. But the game has a pretty distinct style, which isn't exactly Asian. But if you don't like how it looks, that's fine, different tastes and all that."
    IncorrectResponse:"It doesn't look Asian. It looks amazing. Can't you see it, it's one of the best looking MMO's ever created."

Obviously I overdid everything, but the second type of response is quite common here. It's okay to not like things.

I didn't want to attack anyone, or single them out with that statement. I just feel that any kind of criticism (even constructive) is shot down far too quickly and aggressively.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    TotalNoob54: "This game has a very Asian visual style, I don't like the way it looks."
    This statement has something incorrect, and an opinion.
    CorrectResponse: "The game does not look very Asian, actually. These screens are from a Korean demo, where they did do things to appeal to that audience. But the game has a pretty distinct style, which isn't exactly Asian. But if you don't like how it looks, that's fine, different tastes and all that."
    IncorrectResponse:"It doesn't look Asian. It looks amazing. Can't you see it, it's one of the best looking MMO's ever created."
    MifResponse:

Deleted
    Sometimes Mif, I think Anet is paying you to link that gif as much as possible.

For things like dodging fireballs I dont think your going to be seeing players fighting elementalists and never getting hit. The things travel pretty fast and i would say 90% of the time you wont be able to get out of the way unless are at max distance from the elementals fireing range. Now if your a melee trying to dodge things goodluck because your going to be standing right next to the caster and as soon as he casts its gonna hit you.

They make it sound like moving will be a big part of combat but thats only because of the many AoE abilitys and classes positioning themselves for combo's. If someone is doing a basic single target attack like gunshots, arrows, fireballs etc those are gonna hit you barring someone standing in the way and it hitting them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    For things like dodging fireballs I dont think your going to be seeing players fighting elementalists and never getting hit. The things travel pretty fast and i would say 90% of the time you wont be able to get out of the way unless are at max distance from the elementals fireing range. Now if your a melee trying to dodge things goodluck because your going to be standing right next to the caster and as soon as he casts its gonna hit you.

They make it sound like moving will be a big part of combat but thats only because of the many AoE abilitys and classes positioning themselves for combo's. If someone is doing a basic single target attack like gunshots, arrows, fireballs etc those are gonna hit you barring someone standing in the way and it hitting them.
    Uh.... I'll be moving a lot since you know, you can cast/shoot while moving, so why stand still if I can just run around and shoot?
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Uh.... I'll be moving a lot since you know, you can cast/shoot while moving, so why stand still if I can just run around and shoot?
    Im not saying you that you shouldnt move because you should. What im saying is that for those of you who think your going to be moving out of the way of a fireball are most likely still going to get hit by it. Im saying that dont expect that your constant movement will negate anything thrown at you.

Yes any spell cast in WoW will hit you and Yes any spell cast in GW2 will fly toward you with a chance to miss if you move out of the way. Im just saying that chance wont be very high. Dont expect moving to decrease your overall damage taken.

The best video of combat from the GW2 demos was the one where like a Thief is fighting a minotaur.

Minotaur knocks him down, thief strands & shoots, minotaur knocks thief down again & tramples him, <<fight for life>>, thief stands & shoots, minotaur kills him.

I lol'd so hard IRL.

Read a post from someone who has played the demo and he was in the Pirate area, which is higher end. He says people were dropping like flies because they were trying to play it like a standard mmo. He kept alive because he kept on moving and dodging. So I'm glad to hear that the game will punish you if you try to play it just standing there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Im not saying you that you shouldnt move because you should. What im saying is that for those of you who think your going to be moving out of the way of a fireball are most likely still going to get hit by it. Im saying that dont expect that your constant movement will negate anything thrown at you.

Yes any spell cast in WoW will hit you and Yes any spell cast in GW2 will fly toward you with a chance to miss if you move out of the way. Im just saying that chance wont be very high. Dont expect moving to decrease your overall damage taken.
    Ah, ok lol, i was thinking that you were saying that we shouldn't be moving... but ya, i doubt i'll be dodging that much while moving unless it's a slow moving projectile (they have some of those =D)
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The best video of combat from the GW2 demos was the one where like a Thief is fighting a minotaur.
    do you still have the link?

Quote Originally Posted by fencers View Post
    the best video of combat from the gw2 demos was the one where like a thief is fighting a minotaur.

Minotaur knocks him down, thief strands & shoots, minotaur knocks thief down again & tramples him, <<fight for life>>, thief stands & shoots, minotaur kills him.

I lol'd so hard irl.
    i must see this!