Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodah View Post
    That's a .50 cal. It shoots this:

The correct response if that gun even looks at you funny is "ouch."
    what looks even crazier is just the size of the .50BMG bullet compared to an entire .223 round

I also don't get how non gun enthusiasts make it seem like the .50 is some massive round that will blow apart anything it touches or leave a hole in it the size of a truck. A .50BMG is only 5 hundredths of an inch larger in diameter to a .45. If you looked at the two from the bottom you wouldn't really see much of a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    This guy must not have cleaned his properly

That guy got lucky haha.

Never shot a .50 cal. Seems a bit overkill hehe... I've shot the .338 lapua magnum though, the fins are awesome at making guns and ammo. The Sako TRG is probably my favorite gun, my dad got one so I've had quite a bit of fun with it.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    That guy got lucky haha.

Never shot a .50 cal. Seems a bit overkill hehe... I've shot the .338 lapua magnum though, the fins are awesome at making guns and ammo. The Sako TRG is probably my favorite gun, my dad got one so I've had quite a bit of fun with it.
    Just googled it, that's a pretty bolt-action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Just googled it, that's a pretty bolt-action.
    Yeah, it's pretty damn awesome, as far as precision goes I've never shot anything that comes close, though the only thing I've shot that I could realisticly make a comparison with is the Psg 90(modified L96A1). Both Sako and Tikka(both finish) makes awesome rifles.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    Just saw this on /k/ thought I would share the lulz

Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vaeevictiss View Post
    what looks even crazier is just the size of the .50BMG bullet compared to an entire .223 round
    *snip*

I also don't get how non gun enthusiasts make it seem like the .50 is some massive round that will blow apart anything it touches or leave a hole in it the size of a truck. A .50BMG is only 5 hundredths of an inch larger in diameter to a .45. If you looked at the two from the bottom you wouldn't really see much of a difference.
    I don't think many of them really think it's THAT strong, but... It's not the diameter of the bullet that is the main concern here, sure it's not much wider... but it is the amount of kinetic energy... it's mass, the speed it is moving at - that's the big deal.

This is what happens when you shoot ballistic gel (which simulates the density of the human body) with a .45ACP

This is what happens when you shoot it with a .50BMG

The difference is quite clear, rofl.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2012-02-01 at 05:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    snip
    This and when you see a sniper use them in somewhat realistic television (something like those Sniper shows on History) they are usually using armor piercing rounds which do a lot more exit damage than entry, even compared to most bullets.

I don't think many of them really think it's THAT strong, but... It's not the diameter of the bullet that is the main concern here, sure it's not much wider... but it is the amount of kinetic energy... it's mass, the speed it is moving at - that's the big deal.
    Idd, we got a modified type of 7.62 round in the swedish army for that very reason, it's a sobat round, I don't remember the exact specs on it but I remember when we were at the range that the instructor saying the time of flight to 1000 meters is almost half of that of a normal 7.62 round, with a lot higher penetration and power.

Edit: found some info.
    An interesting note is that the Swedish Armed Forces have adopted a sabot round for their snipers. It is tungsten carbide round fired in a sabot case. This round exits the barrel at over 4400 ft/s.

.50 BMG= 2,895 ft/s
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2012-02-01 at 08:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Idd, we got a modified type of 7.62 round in the swedish army for that very reason, it's a sobat round, I don't remember the exact specs on it but I remember when we were at the range that the instructor saying the time of flight to 1000 meters is almost half of that of a normal 7.62 round, with a lot higher penetration and power.

Edit: found some info.
    An interesting note is that the Swedish Armed Forces have adopted a sabot round for their snipers. It is tungsten carbide round fired in a sabot case. This round exits the barrel at over 4400 ft/s.

.50 BMG= 2,895 ft/s
    Such as this 30-06 "Accelerator" round, it's a sabot.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

This is what happens when you shoot ballistic gel (which simulates the density of the human body) with a .45ACP

This is what happens when you shoot it with a .50BMG

The difference is quite clear, rofl.
    Ok i should have stated the diff between soft target and hard target. I was actually thinking of a hard target at the time with a FMJ. I guy i know has a barrett m82a1 and we were shooting at an old fridge (yea us gun guys will find anything to use as a target lol). Now this was after a days worth of shooting the hell out of this thing. He shot it and it just put a tiny hole in the front, tiny hole in the back.

Take that same FMJ round and shoot a soft target like a human, and you will see the same result, small hole in, small hole out, nowhere near the tissue damage shown by the ballistic gel in the video you posted.

Now, the reason for the beautifully devestating damage to the gel was because of the type of round used. It is a FHVL round, or Fragmenting High Velocity. The way it is designed, was to be able to penetrate 1 inch steel while at the same time never leaving a soft target. The instant it hits a soft target it expands and just blows the shit out of it. The FHVL is a hollow point, much like the .45 round you showed, but with that much more mass, material, and force behind it, its easy to see why a .50 round that expands is just insane. They are also $10 per round as compared to a standard FMJ round at $5.

here is a block of gel being hit with an FMJ, you can see it barely moves.

Last edited by vaeevictiss; 2012-02-01 at 02:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zombie killing at it's finest

Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    I do like that safety lever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    [video=youtube;dbA9W0eOpbY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbA9W0eOpbY&feature=share[video]
    Some people have too much time on their hands. That being said however, if we ever DO have a zombie apocalypse I'll eat those words... and your brain....

Such as this 30-06 "Accelerator" round, it's a sabot.
    hehe, thats some stopping power! No need for a medevac after that shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vaeevictiss View Post
    Ok i should have stated the diff between soft target and hard target. I was actually thinking of a hard target at the time with a FMJ. I guy i know has a barrett m82a1 and we were shooting at an old fridge (yea us gun guys will find anything to use as a target lol). Now this was after a days worth of shooting the hell out of this thing. He shot it and it just put a tiny hole in the front, tiny hole in the back.

Take that same FMJ round and shoot a soft target like a human, and you will see the same result, small hole in, small hole out, nowhere near the tissue damage shown by the ballistic gel in the video you posted.

Now, the reason for the beautifully devestating damage to the gel was because of the type of round used. It is a FHVL round, or Fragmenting High Velocity. The way it is designed, was to be able to penetrate 1 inch steel while at the same time never leaving a soft target. The instant it hits a soft target it expands and just blows the shit out of it. The FHVL is a hollow point, much like the .45 round you showed, but with that much more mass, material, and force behind it, its easy to see why a .50 round that expands is just insane. They are also $10 per round as compared to a standard FMJ round at $5.

here is a block of gel being hit with an FMJ, you can see it barely moves.

That was kind of my point, lol... anything with FMJ is going to do little in terms of destructive damage against a soft target.

Now, if you shoot hard targets with HEIAP (High Explosive Incendiary Armor Piercing) ammo from a .50, they will do significant damage.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2012-02-02 at 02:00 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Extrazero8 View Post
    I do like that safety lever.
    yea that is pretty slick lol. i think i might try to make something like that for mine lol. Also, they could have done a better job with the clearances so it wouldnt scratch the duracoat.

And i actually just saw that HWS on L3s site lol http://www.eotech-inc.com/products/sights/xps2Zombie. that is a wicked reticle, not worth the extra cost tho, ill stick with mine. I dont think the zombie one is even out till april tho.

The shot show always turns out some amazing products. I gotta get to it one of these years.

---------- Post added 2012-02-02 at 03:59 PM ----------

Lol, is that a bull barrel?
    aye, with a threaded end for the suppressor im waiting on
    Last edited by vaeevictiss; 2012-02-02 at 08:50 PM.