Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Upgrading my dell 530 PSU......And i need help

I posted my power supply and is only 300w and i am looking for a up a 500w PSU but also most importantly will able to fix my atx cases and i saw 4 that i like and i want to know will they fits ?

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus Series 500W ATX12V V2.3 Power Supply

Thermaltake Series 430W Power Supply with 2 Fans

Rocketfish 500-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply

Coolmax 500W Eps Power Supply with 5 Sata Connectors ATX12V & EPS12V

But also i read and look at youtube about " looking and buying a psu but most importantly DON'T BUY A CHEAP ONE " and lastly i do have a price range of no more that $40 and some they have the fan on tops because three of them they have the fans on top will that kill the airflow inside the psu ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Rocketfish is BestBuy's inhouse manufacturer and poorly built and even more poorly marked up for resale. Do not buy.

CoolerMaster is a bit better, but it's still not a good power supply. Do not buy.

Thermaltake power supplies can be good, but in this case, yours isn't. Do not buy.

I've never even heard of CoolMax. Do not buy.

A 500W PSU in a $40 range is going to be hard to find. The ones you find are going to be made out of bad parts. Can you raise your budget $20? You can buy this, which is a pretty good deal.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because i want to power a ati radeon 5450 512mb DDR3 and is compatible but NOT the psu hence that i want to upgrade and is need a minimum of 400w or more also what about these company would they ha good PSU for my budget

Cougar
    OCZ
    HEC

As in regard to XFX they are a bunch of ASS!@#$ and i will never deal with them or buy there product due to the fact they misrepresent and fraudulently the consumer buy not providing the full specs of there product the retailer "and i know to look up the product before buy it" but i will not deal with them !

and you didn't answer my question would a top fan psu cut the air flow circulation ? and i seen some psu with 80 plus ? what they term is that for gaming or high performance
    Last edited by WNYIRISHGUY; 2012-01-27 at 02:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYIRISHGUY View Post
    Because i want to power a ati radeon 5450 512mb DDR3 and is compatible but NOT the psu hence that i want to upgrade and is need a minimum of 400w or more also what about these company would they ha good PSU for my budget

Cougar
    OCZ
    HEC

As in regard to XFX they are a bunch of ASS!@#$ and i will never deal with them or buy there product due to the fact they misrepresent and fraudulently the consumer buy not providing the full specs of there product the retailer "and i know to look up the product before buy it" but i will not deal with them !

and you didn't answer my question would a top fan psu cut the air flow circulation ? and i seen some psu with 80 plus ? what they term is that for gaming or high performance
    Frankly, that's a terrible graphics card. Don't buy it unless it's for an HTPC. You can get away with powering it with like 200W. Power consumption for that card is like 160W peak. It's a low end card that's not meant for gaming.

Unlike most of XFX's equipment, they don't even make the power supply, it's a rebranded power supply, so it's made by another company and XFX has claimed it.

Currently, op fan PSU's are all that's out there. You just flip it around if you want the fan facing the other way.

80Plus is kind of irrelevant. It's the ratio of the wattage out of the wall in comparison to the wattage output by the PSU so you waste less, but I wouldn't be too concerned.

Don't buy anything labeled gaming, and there are a FEW power supplies that are good labeled high performance, but it's best to avoid.
    Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2012-01-27 at 02:29 AM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    But do you think i need 500w since my card id low end?.........would a psu from 400w to 450w would be better? and also can you or other member tell what other psu company that i would be looking at at the price range that i am asking ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYIRISHGUY View Post
    But do you think i need 500w since my card id low end?.........would a psu from 400w to 450w would be better? and also can you or other member tell what other psu company that i would be looking at at the price range that i am asking ?
    You can get away with powering it with like 200W. Power consumption for that card is like 160W peak. It's a low end card that's not meant for gaming.
    Good PSU distributors include, with some variety, and this is by all means not exclusive:
    -Antec
    -Corsair
    -SeaSonic
    -CoolerMaster*
    -XFX*
    -OCZ*
    -PC Power And Cooling

* Only certain brands within these manufacturers.

I already recommended you a power supply, by the way.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    what about this company ?

any good or bad review ?

http://www.fspgroupusa.com/

Deleted
    You get what you pay for with PSUs, there are very few exceptions. You might as well raise your budget, if you don't you'll end up with one with like 65% efficiency and end up paying more than the difference in energy bills anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    im running a XFX 6870 1gb with a shitty 430w PSU which came with my pre-built packerd bell computer ;D and its running fine infact, running great!

Take what you want from what I just sai but I mean, dont always listen to people when they tell you, you need this and that... do research and see for yourself!
    War requires the sledge hammer, but will be decided by the scalpal
    Intel i5 2500k -Intel 330 180GB SSD - Saphire HD OC Edition 7870 - Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottishpaladin View Post
    im running a XFX 6870 1gb with a shitty 430w PSU which came with my pre-built packerd bell computer ;D and its running fine infact, running great!

Take what you want from what I just sai but I mean, dont always listen to people when they tell you, you need this and that... do research and see for yourself!
    And wait for it to tank your entire system, or fail long before any other component does so you have to spend more money on it.

I've never heard of fspgroup. Ignore it. I gave you a list of PSU manufacturers you should buy from. If you're not going to listen, then just don't post. Plain and simple. Disregarding posts that people take time and effort to create tends to piss people (like me) off.

You GET what you PAY FOR.

If you pay a low price, you'll get a shitty power supply. It's that simple.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    No you help me " fuzzykins " and i do appreciated that you watch out and help me for my need and that other used gave there 2 cent and i thank them

also there is bend a change of even that i must say and post first best buy there store and some salespeople are "useless and BS the customer" and there are really help the customer even thought they get a s!@#ty paycheck but they do and try help them

anyway..........thank to an incompetent salespeople at one of there store because i was asking for 3 pacific PSU on sale that "i mention 3 of them ->Cooler Master,Thermaltake,Rocketfish 450w or more" and he told me they have them and i call 15 min latter and is was same person and guess what he lies about having them and i ask his name "told me his name" and i inform him i was the same person and that call and i ask "why did he lies to me" and he made an excuses and lies about it and that he will wont give me a honest answer and since i was getting no where i ask for a manager he put me on hold and dump my called and i report him to HQ by e-mail and even mention his name and while i was looking at other psu i got a called from best buy/geek squad and apologies and the staff would be discipline by his manager and that they want to help me and the read the e-mail while i was on the phone they look at what they can do and this what there solution to fix it

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26...&skuId=2658156

and is was for $62.99 and the knock it down to 39.99 but to me I HATE DYNEX product because they are unreliable like there crappy power surge protector also if you don't know dynex doesn't product or manufactured there stuff is done by a 3rd party manufactured but they told me they will help and that i can pick it anytime

so while this is going on i got 2 e-mail from startech.com and outletpc.com and when i e-mail them i told what i looking plus how i want to spend and the spec of my pc

startech.com reply back with this " which is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy out of my price range " even i told my price range of no more that $40
    http://www.startech.com/Computer-Par...C~ATX2PW530PRO

and outletpc.com is 19.95 but is look ChEaPLy made !
    http://www.outletpc.com/c0842.html

so the ball is in my court and i will think about it and once again i do appreciated the feedback even if the mods want to chime in and add his/her 2 cent they can do also

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I scanned through this quickly, and I don't think anyone mentioned; Dell computers are notorious for having proprietary issues when trying to replace parts. In this case you will want to make sure that the power connector on the Mobo is standardized and not a completely different pinout. This would result in, a) nothing working, or b) possible fire hazard!

Deleted
    You can go for a Corsair CX430 which is $44.99, with a $20 mail in rebate and a $8 off promo code until February, which brings the cost down to $16.99 altogether.

It's not a brilliant PSU, but it's made by Corsair so it'll have a good warranty (3 years,) should manage what you want it to do, and after MiB/discounts, is in your price range. In fact, it's just a stupidly good deal at the moment. It's probably one of the few good components you're going to find in that price range. There are reports of coil whine or humming when the PC is turned off, but as Fuzzykins said, you do get what you pay for and at this pricepoint the pickings are a little thin.

There's the Antec Earthwatts 430W and the OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W which are also in/near your price range after mail in rebates.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Good PSU distributors include, with some variety, and this is by all means not exclusive:
    -Antec
    -Corsair
    -SeaSonic
    -CoolerMaster*
    -XFX*
    -OCZ*
    -PC Power And Cooling

* Only certain brands within these manufacturers.

I already recommended you a power supply, by the way.
    AFAIK all of XFX's current PSUs are based good or great Seasonic platforms. None of Cooler Master's PSUs are really worth getting. They've somehow managed to take Enhance PSUs and make them perform badly in comparison to the exact same platform used by Silverstone.

----

TBH if you absolutely do not want to spend more than $50 on a PSU, your choices are limited.

Antec Basiq VP-450 (OEM: Delta)
    Antec Neo Eco 400W (OEM: Seasonic)
    Enermax NAXN 450W (OEM: CWT)
    Corsair CX430-V2 (OEM: CWT)

All of these PSUs use Taiwanese brand capacitors instead of the more desirable Japanese caps. The one I'd lean toward is the Antec Neo Eco because low-end Seasonics are typically very good.

Buy a good one or you will be kicking yourself down the road. I bought a cheep one couple years back (Rocketfish) sure it worked good for awhile but once I upgraded some stuff it wouldnt even run my syetem under load. I got an OCZ psw and its running my new system flawlessly. Sometimes you just pay for that "brand name" but when it comes to psu's that name carries quality. Take it from someone who has been there done that, an better psu will last longer and give you less problems. On an added note I have heard of Thermaltake psu's catching fire or frying people's pc's id stay clear of them imo.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Any brand can strike a deal with a quality OEM to make good PSUs. For example the Thermaletake Toughpower XT and Toughpower Grand 650/750 are quite good.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hey kidsafe

I did some digging and i found out something

Seasonic sell there product to Antec,Corsair memory,XFX and that in 2002 they start selling there own brand
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Sonic

but also they get there electrolytic capacitors from the japanese nippon chemi-com
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nippon_Chemi-Con

and they sell top of the line PSU brands like
    PC Power & Cooling
    Enermax
    BFG Technology
    Sesonics
    Antec
    Silverstone

and other and is have open more that if i look at these 5 company for a decent PSU i know what to look for and i also found this but nothing special

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...its_.28PSUs.29

---------- Post added 2012-01-27 at 09:53 PM ----------

and i never knew that newegg.com got there own brand of psu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosewill

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Antec, Corsair and others also use other OEMs besides Seasonic. It depends on the model. Sometimes models in the same line or revisions to a model will result in a different OEM being used. In the Thermaltake example I used previously, the Toughpower Grand 650/750 are based on a CWT design, but the 850W model and above are built by Sirfa/Sirtec. Now discontinued, the original Corsair TX650 was a Seasonic PSU, but a silent revision resulted in the PSU being made by CWT.

Nippon Chemi-con is just one decent capacitor manufacturer. Rubycon, Nichicon, Panasonic/Matsushita, Hitachi and some other brands are also good.

PC Power & Cooling makes some average PSUs like the Silencer Mk II. The Silencer Mk III is good.

Enermax makes some average PSUs as well...none of their current PSUs I'd actually consider the best in class, but they are generally above average to very good.

BFG went out of business, and none of their PSUs were worth buying. They used Andyson as an OEM primarily.

Antec uses primarily Delta and Seasonic. They are starting to use FSP more with their Earthwatts Platinum series. They also have some older PSUs based on Enhance platforms.

Silverstone primarily uses Enhance for their high-end PSUs.
    Last edited by kidsafe; 2012-01-28 at 05:01 AM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !

I getting my NEW power supply today from best buy and i will let you know how it go

---------- Post added 2012-02-03 at 06:10 PM ----------

Well i got it

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26...&skuId=2658156
    $64.99

but is was a hard decision because he have this that was also going to discount it

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Thermalt...&skuId=9827301
    $64.99

but before buying it i have a few concern " the review " was mix for both and that he was going to a agent to help but there was another one and he help me and i explain my concern and that both got a negative review and he told me the pros and cons and is he was very helpful and i choose the 520w and also " with some luck " someone also brought in the same dell 530 for repair..........wow what a stoke a luck

and them the head GM he discounted because due to the sales staff LIES about have the 3 PSU when i was looking for a PSU and that he was disciplined and that how i got a discount i thought i be paying $39.99 plus tax but he knock off $10 so i pay $29.99 plus tax and that if i need help in the futures let me know "because maybe down the road i might upgrade my "VC,CPU Fans,Fans Case" and price match it and save some $$$$$$

---------- Post added 2012-02-03 at 06:11 PM ----------

also i have lunch at the food court " chinese food " YUMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by WNYIRISHGUY; 2012-02-03 at 11:11 PM.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Both PSUs are utter trash. The Dynex should be landfilled immediately...I wouldn't even pay $10 for it. The Thermaltake is mediocre at best, and should be treated as a 300W unit instead of 430W. So basically you shouldn't pay more than $30 for it.