Page 1 of 8
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Warchief Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In the mountains
    Posts
    2,157

    the REAL reason why WoW has shifted so much (for the worse)

    Let's take a look at the three main players during the development of WoW. ALL 3 of these geniuses no longer work on WoW and now focus all their efforts on the new upcoming unannounced mmo "Titan". No wonder WoW has been going down the drain since after BC...

    Rob Pardo



    "He was Guild Master of the EverQuest guild Legacy of Steel, which accomplished many world-firsts. He met friend and now coworker Tigole (Jeffrey Kaplan) during his time in Legacy of Steel. Tigole would go on to replace him as guild leader and was eventually offered a position as designer alongside Rob."

    Jeffrey Kaplan



    "Jeff was hired by Blizzard because of his status as Tigole, guild leader for Legacy of Steel on The Nameless server of EverQuest. The guild had many world-first raid kills, and is attributed to helping shape Everquest and the MMO genre in general towards extreme emphasis on endgame content. The guild was formerly run by Rob Pardo, a long-time Blizzard employee and developer on Diablo II and Warcraft III."

    Alex Afrasiabi



    "Alex was once leader of a famous Everquest guild named Fires of Heaven (now a World of Warcraft guild). His first character in EQ, Kalaran, a rogue, was the first level 50 in EQ. Alex is supposedly still an avid player and guild leader in World of Warcraft."

    Interesting to see how all three of these guys were the best of the best back in the Everquest days...
    Milk was a bad choice.

    2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

  2. #2
    Scarab Lord Puck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Williams Lake, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,423
    Your argument holds no weight because the game didn't start to decline after BC, it started to Decline a few months after Cata. In Wrath it reached it's peak which suggests that the quality was fine.

  3. #3
    Why do these threads always start out with "hey guys I know the REAL reason why wow is different" rather than "this is why I think wow is different"? The latter sounds respectful and the former sounds arrogant.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    Your argument holds no weight because the game didn't start to decline after BC, it started to Decline a few months after Cata. In Wrath it reached it's peak which suggests that the quality was fine.
    It peaked during Ulduar which was the last raid made by the original team.

    Are you actually implying Naxx 2.0 or ToC were great raids?

  5. #5
    lololololol god I hated Tigole. dw though, his bff Kalgan is still hanging around.

  6. #6
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Tseric <<< this should be linked more on the wow forums for the newbs

    and get a load of the blue posts in this thread

    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4941024518

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    Your argument holds no weight because the game didn't start to decline after BC, it started to Decline a few months after Cata. In Wrath it reached it's peak which suggests that the quality was fine.

    Actually, the sub numbers basically stabilised in WOLTK, wow subs already passed the 11mil mark before WOTLK was released.

    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/wo...1-million-mark

    Just to think there was no reason to have annual passes and great SORs to keep players. The game itself and the community kept players playing and the sub numbers only went up because people didn't quit as fast as new players were coming on board. Also remember wow has been released to a lot more countries since tbc and the numbers are still down by a mil.

    Just goes to show easy come easy go. TBC will be talked about for many years to come, Cata will be quickly forgotten.

    Trust me most old players are just in a catch 22, they playing out of habit, its hard to let go when you have over 180 days played no matter how bad things get.
    Last edited by DreamCast; 2012-07-16 at 01:49 PM.

  8. #8
    I agree, all the current devs are not hardcore players and as a result the game is being made too casual.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    I agree, all the current devs are not hardcore players and as a result the game is being made too casual.
    Current wow has no respect, if you tell gamers today u finished all the content in wow, they are going to lol @ you even if it's just on the inside.

    The game has become a joke and I am suprised that it still has 10.2 mil subs, I really am.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by JackBauerLOL View Post
    It peaked during Ulduar which was the last raid made by the original team.

    Are you actually implying Naxx 2.0 or ToC were great raids?
    A blue confirmed several months ago that the same people who made Ulduar are the same people who made every raid after it:

    What a coincidence! We happened to talk about raid design and results with Ghostcrawler and Mumper yesterday, and everyone looked back fondly on Ulduar, among others.

    Yes, the same designers and artists who worked on Ulduar are still working on raids.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...744?page=7#124

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Freese View Post
    A blue confirmed several months ago that the same people who made Ulduar are the same people who made every raid after it:



    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...744?page=7#124
    Considering Kaplan worked on Ulduar and not DS I would say that is a lie.

    Then again the people who worked on T11 probably also worked on T13 and I must admit that T11 was great.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Freese View Post
    A blue confirmed several months ago that the same people who made Ulduar are the same people who made every raid after it:



    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...744?page=7#124

    Jeff Kaplan was responsible for TBC pve endgame... he was moved off to dev lead Titan and that was long before cata.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    Considering Kaplan worked on Ulduar and not DS I would say that is a lie.
    Ah, yes. Of course. Blizzard never tells the truth. I forgot that in order to participate in these discussions one must rely on conjecture only and not what Blizzard employees have actually said. If it doesn't work for your argument, then it's a lie, obviously.

  14. #14
    Yeah, totally agree, WoW just isn't the same any more since Jimi Hendrix died.

  15. #15
    Oh look, another person with an epiphany that's based on absolutely nothing but unbacked speculation. Refreshing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mexa View Post
    What do you call the sound the microwave does when it's done cooking? A ding. Granted, the sound you get when gaining a level is more like Brrrrrwwwwhing, but we call that a ding too.
    Of course I guess you could say: "Hey, chaps! I just gained an experience level"
    Whereas someone in your group would go "Congratulations!" To which you would reply: "I am laughing out loud", and you would have merry-good times, but the time gap between pulling packs in dungeons would increase radically.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    Yeah, totally agree, WoW just isn't the same any more since Jimi Hendrix died.
    Agreed. There's not enough Purple Haze

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Freese View Post
    Ah, yes. Of course. Blizzard never tells the truth. I forgot that in order to participate in these discussions one must rely on conjecture only and not what Blizzard employees have actually said. If it doesn't work for your argument, then it's a lie, obviously.

    Right here on wikipedia in black and white mate.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey...game_designer)

    Games
    World of Warcraft
    World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
    World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King

    Jeffrey Kaplan (better known as Tigole) is a game designer at Blizzard Entertainment. He began working at Blizzard in May 2002 towards the end of Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos development, which he tested extensively.[1] Kaplan was responsible for the world design (quests, outdoor zones, dungeons, raids, etc.) for World of Warcraft,[2] on which he worked closely with Chris Metzen and Pat Nagle. He is now working on an unannounced, unnamed massive-multiplayer online game in production at Blizzard Entertainment.[3] The "unnamed" mmo is code-named "Titan".
    http://www.gameinformer.com/games/wo...nd-future.aspx
    Last edited by DreamCast; 2012-07-16 at 02:08 PM.

  18. #18
    Mechagnome LordDios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    555
    loved everything up to and including t11 then after that it was a steep downturn, after having a continuous sub that last from initial sub just after ZG launched i have not played in a good 4 months ( still have an active sub cos of annual pass tho). Tho I honestly do doubt THIS is the reason . . . .I hope to come back for MoP . . . I might have just stopped liking MMOs tho.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamCast View Post
    Right here on wikipedia in black and white mate.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey...game_designer)

    Games
    World of Warcraft
    World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
    World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
    I fail to see how ONE Person being gone from an entire development staff makes the game worse. In my opinion, ICC, Tier 11, and Firelands were all good instances, and none of those were made under the direction of Kaplan. Whoever was in charge of Firelands gave me Heroic Ragnaros, which is easily one of the most difficult and fun encounters in the world (of warcraft). I also liked Heroic Spine in DS, but that's because I'm a tank and I have the most interesting/difficult role in that fight (before the nerfs).

    The thesis of this whole thread seems to be "because these people are gone, WoW is bad." I just don't see how that can hold up at all.

    By the way, the Blue poster said that the people who made Ulduar are still working on the raids today. He didn't say ALL the people were.
    Last edited by Freese; 2012-07-16 at 02:12 PM.

  20. #20
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX USA
    Posts
    305
    Yes because it it is on Wikipedia it has to be true.



    Quote Originally Posted by DreamCast View Post
    Right here on wikipedia in black and white mate.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey...game_designer)

    Games
    World of Warcraft
    World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
    World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King



    http://www.gameinformer.com/games/wo...nd-future.aspx

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •