View Poll Results: In game adds good or bad idea?

Voters
31. This poll is closed
  • Good idea

12 38.71%
  • Bad idea

19 61.29%

Blizzards next MMO to feature real world products (Advertisements).

The details of Blizzard's next MMO game are something that, outside of Blizzard itself, very few people likely know about. All we know for sure is that the follow up to the hit MMO World of Warcraft has the code name "Project Titan" and that it won't be a World of Warcraft sequel. However, a new job listing on Blizzard's web site does give some new hints about what players of the game might encounter.

The job listing for "Franchise Development Producer" for Blizzard's "Next-Gen MMO" specifically states that whomever gets the gig will, "... Work with major consumer brands to facilitate product placement and licensing within the world of Blizzard Entertainment's next-gen MMO that enhances the gameplay experience."

Yes, that means that players of this unnamed game will likely see real world products inside the game world. Perhaps they will drink Coke for health or drive a Ford Focus to the next game zone. Perhaps we will see in-game billboards promoting products.

Product placement in games is nothing new, of course, but the fact that Blizzard is actively looking to make deals for such in-game product ads for its next MMO project would strongly suggest that the game won't be fantasy based.

The "Franchise Development Producer" would also be in charge of expanding "the next-gen MMO brand outside of the gaming industry" and would set up deals for tie-in products and merchandise like novels, books, comic books, clothes and even short movies, which is interesting in itself.

Blizzard has given no indication of when its next-gen MMO will be announced, much less launched.
    Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/blizzards...world-products

What do you guys think of this and do you think it will effect your choice to buy the game, let your children play it, have any effect on the stuff you buy in real life etc etc. Be interesting to find out.

Personally i don't mind I have placed a few racing, flight sims, football games etc etc with banners advertising things like coca-cola it doesn't bother me much. But something like speech advertisment and vending machines and posters all over the game (sort of like duke nuken) and like catchphrases (again like duke nuken "come get some" but instead "come get some ?????" every 5mins) would piss me off a little.

I still think Titan will be a Halo style MMO so a MMOFPS or something like Quake, Crysis but online with a crap load of people upgrading weapon levels and skills and experience rather than "levelling as we know it today" Can't wait..
    Last edited by Domiku; 2012-01-27 at 03:19 AM.

If its free to play OK, if its not free to play, no way in hell.

I agree with you here. As long as they integrate it well like GTA or something and don't shove it in your face, it's fine. Now if it makes it F2P or the subscription significantly cheaper, then I wouldn't mind a flash on your screen every half hour with a full page ad or something to that degree.

Infracted
    Last edited by pakoa; 2012-01-27 at 03:31 AM.

I don't really view product placement as 'ads', though they certainly are a form of advertising. If there's some sort of pop-up during a loading screen, rest assured said video game isn't ever getting installed in this household. If its a billboard for Coke, and fits the environment during gameplay.. sure.

---------- Post added 2012-01-26 at 10:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by pakoa View Post
    I don't like you.
    *I* don't like you either.

You just watch yourself. We're wanted men. I have the death sentence on twelve systems.

I'm perfectly fine with it as long as it doesn't affect game play. If you're riding/driving/flying around and you see a billboard for Coca-Cola... that's perfectly fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am bothered by this, but fortunately since it probably wasn't going to be fantasy based I won't be playing Titan anyway. I don't like sci-fi games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyomesh View Post
    Imagine if SWTOR had an Endor's moon themed expansion where the Ewoks played a huge role. I could just see it now, the reactions... "This game sucks! Ewoks are stupid!" "I hate these retarded Ewoks! They have no basis in lore!" "I'm quitting because of Ewoks!"

By the time Titan actually hits stores, Blizzard will have become so disrespected and irrelevent as a company that this decision won't matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Should include a "depends on how it's implemented" option.
    Forever the proponent of special snowflakes everywhere.

If the advertisements went towards lower costs for subscribers then I think its a good idea. I personally don't mind ads, and find them extremely easy to tune out. If not, then I think its a horrible idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    It heavily depends on the context in which these ads are going to be in game (as many have said before) If it is a subtle form of advertisement found in the environment of the game, then fine. But if it is an objective advertisement that is like a popup in a menu, the I will sure as hell not support a game that just acts as a billboard for other companies.

Blizzard already has been selling out in their games recently, if they fuck this up in titan it will be the nail in the coffin for my support of their products.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

advertisement will be massive.

I won't mind if its done like in GTA. But there better be something in it for players. Like only a 10$ a month sub fee.

There's already a thread discussing this topic. Please keep all discussion there.