Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question on name restrictions.

I know that you can add surnames via spaces in your name, but is it possible to put multiple spaces? For example if I were to try and name my character "Vafiveh of Tyria, or Vafiveh the _____?

Also, are names limited to one capital letter per word? For instance, ExampleTwo instead of Exampletwo... just curious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vafiveh View Post
    I know that you can add surnames via spaces in your name, but is it possible to put multiple spaces? For example if I were to try and name my character "Vafiveh of Tyria, or Vafiveh the _____?

Also, are names limited to one capital letter per word? For instance, ExampleTwo instead of Exampletwo... just curious.
    in GW1 it was possible (max 19 chars) sp since they want to allow you to use GW1 names in GW2 you should be able to
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, no one knows. Any information about naming your characters has not been released besides the fact that you can post a surname; as which you have already stated.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can use any character of the alphabet and as many spaces as you wish as long as it's 19 characters or less. The first letter of each word is capitalized. No symbols or numbers may be used. (Source from demo videos and assumptions based on GW1's system)
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2012-01-27 at 05:49 AM.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

You could make games like "l T h r a g e l" in GW1. I thought about making a "Sir Dwyer the Unbreakable" if possible but at the same time, what if titles are a feature in GW2? Then I'd just look stupid and people would hate typing my name.

I think it’d be safe to assume the same name restrictions that applied to GW1 will apply to GW2 since they’re allowing players of the original series to carry their names on to the second. With that, here are the rules for naming your character:

Player names can use a maximum of 19 characters (Spaces count as characters)
    Player names must be a minimum of three characters (May not apply to GW2)
    Player names must only use English letters (Only applies to certain areas)

Also, if you’re planning on making a name like “Vafiveh of Tyria,” keep in mind that the “o” in “of” will automatically be capitalized. At least, by GW1 standards it would be. Another GW1 standard, words are limited to one capital letter each, but multiple spaces are allowed. Example: Im L A S T E

Deleted
    In the GW2 demo vids these were the restrictions:
    -This names does not exceed the maximum character limit (19)
    -This name must use a minimum of 3 characters
    -This name is only using English letters

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrage View Post
    You could make games like "l T h r a g e l" in GW1. I thought about making a "Sir Dwyer the Unbreakable" if possible but at the same time, what if titles are a feature in GW2? Then I'd just look stupid and people would hate typing my name.
    Can be funny too, I saw a guy in WoW who was named Parts and then he got the title Private as a prefix.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinitus View Post
    Can be funny too, I saw a guy in WoW who was named Parts and then he got the title Private as a prefix.
    It really depends on how the titles will be displayed. Either in front or after the name like in WoW or underneath the name like in GW1.

Private Parts = funny.

Parts
    Private = not so much.

Edit:
    The titles will be displayed beneath the characters name.
    Through earning achievements players will be able to unlock titles that they can display beneath their names.
    Source
    Last edited by mmoc77cd96e260; 2012-01-27 at 11:57 AM.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hope they allow a single name with no spaces. I don't want a last name.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    I am pretty sure they annouced that one-word-names will be an option, if you so choose! Unfortunately i can't provide a link with proof, but i remember reading it in an interview or something. :|

Edit: Here it is, found it on GW2 Wiki.
    In the English language version, a character's name must be 3 to 19 characters long and contain only English letters. Spaces are also permitted, but optional. The requirements for other languages are currently unknown.
    Last edited by Adoris; 2012-01-27 at 11:58 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    Me too, or I'd have to come up with 8 new names

Deleted
    I sure hope the game will support åäö, if not im gonna be upset <_<

All I know is how ashamed I was when I found out the name of my old character... I was like 12 when I made it and named it Warrior Star Boy..... So fucking pathetic. Although I did get full Kurzark armor the good shit. And was in one of the best rep farming guilds in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laylie View Post
    Although I did get full Kurzark armor the good shit. And was in one of the best rep farming guilds in the US.
    i would never be proud about anything kurzick >_>
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    i would never be proud about anything kurzick >_>
    But the warrior armor.. Mmmm..

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    I sure hope the game will support åäö, if not im gonna be upset <_<
    I assume it's going to be like the original Guild Wars were special symbols are only supported by your region.

In the original Guild Wars, it made it impossible to speak in a different language that uses symbols like those in an English district.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    I assume it's going to be like the original Guild Wars were special symbols are only supported by your region.

In the original Guild Wars, it made it impossible to speak in a different language that uses symbols like those in an English district.
    Thank you for the info

However i do find it disturbing that you cant play on lets say a US server and still use them, or most likely since you cant in gw1. Lets hope they change that.

I just hope I don't see people with names like IPwnUlol. No offense to people that like those names they just wreck my immersion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zazajin View Post
    I just hope I don't see people with names like IPwnUlol. No offense to people that like those names they just wreck my immersion.
    Totally agree on that one, and lets not forget people with numbers in their names <_< Ipwnyou123