Deleted

Rig worth selling?

Hai,

Seen as I am planning on building a new rig with the release of the ivy bridge/Kepler GPUs I just thought Id run what im currently using by you guys and see what you think it's worth/worth selling/salvaging parts from. (I'm thinking most of what I have in this will be sub-par to a €1800-2000~ build but I dunno!)

Well these are the specs anyway:

AMD Athlon II X4 635 2.9GHz (Stock cooler)
    Asus M4A77T ATX Motherboard
    4Gb DDR3 1333 RAM (2x2Gb)
    Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATAII 7200RPM 16MB Cache (Caviar Blue)
    Sapphire HD5770 1GB GDDR5 GPU
    Galaxy Black Mid Tower Case
    450W PSU (Unknown make, came with the case)
    Samsung SH-S223 22x DVD±RW DL
    Asus Xonar DG 5.1 Sound Card
    Win7 Ultimate Installed

I think that's everything at least.

I go to college with a big enough computing department, (and even some games dev. courses =] ) so I'm sure I could find somebody who could get some use out of it at least.

It runs wow on high settings fairly smooth, only getting choppy when moving into 25mans, also running BF3 on medium settings at a decent rate too.

Anywho, cheers for reading and would love to hear any suggestions as to what to do with it/ what it's worth. o/

I will give you $100 for it.

This is not eBay, so I would appreciate if you don't do any actual eTailer business here.
    Asking what is a fair price is decent.
    Asking if people are interested - not saying this has been done thus far - or asking to buy it for X is not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    This is not eBay, so I would appreciate if you don't do any actual eTailer business here.
    Asking what is a fair price is decent.
    Asking if people are interested - not saying this has been done thus far - or asking to buy it for X is not.
    Yeah ofc ^^

I'm more interested in weather it's actually worth selling (and if so for how much), appreciating that it is a very aged build. I would indeed sell it to a friend or someone in person rather than through an online forum like mmo-champ lol

15+ Year Old Account
    If this was a brand new rig off the rack (with warranty and all), then it would be worth about 500-600 $ (without windows license). So depending how old it is, you could probably get up to 400 $ for it.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Deleted
    You would get $200-$300 for it but you could re-use the HDD (crazy prices still), the optical drive, sound card and windows 7 license which would give you extra cash from your new rig budget do drop on better components like a big SSD for example.

Deleted
    Keep ur HDD, DVD, GFX, Sound card, windows.
    Scrap the PSU.

Wait for Nvidia nvidia-kepler GFX before u uppgrade ur GFX.

Deleted
    Wait for Nvidia nvidia-kepler GFX before u uppgrade ur GFX.
    Why should he wait until summer when the new AMD GPU's are almost here (7970 is here already but most consider this too expensive right now)? The Radeon 7950 is due out any day now and is comparable to the GTX580 for price and performance and it will only get better with new driver releases in the future. If you are thinking of upgrading pretty soon it would be a waste of time waiting on the Nvidia GPU's right now as they are just too far away from release yet.

Deleted
    to the above.

Yeah I was planning to build it with the release of the ivy bridge so I'm in no hurry for the time being (Q2 if I remember right?). I was thinking of going with Nivia this time around anywho so I may just wait for them to come along either ( I have no idea for the time line on those)

The build is more a case of I have some money that I don't have anything else to spend on so I may as well build a comp which I find quite fun ^^
    Last edited by mmoc77d56b5ad8; 2012-01-27 at 11:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    OP: keep it and turn it into a server, or just give it away to a kid/poor family. It's what I do with mine, and it's the only nice thing I do every 4 years or so
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by Romandix View Post
    ... and it will only get better with new driver releases in the future.
    Not familiar with ATI cards yet eh? lol

* Mod edit: Brandbashing not allowed. nVidia cards aren't that much better in that regard.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2012-01-28 at 02:57 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Romandix View Post
    You would get $200-$300 for it but you could re-use the HDD (crazy prices still), the optical drive, sound card and windows 7 license which would give you extra cash from your new rig budget do drop on better components like a big SSD for example.
    I don't get it why people tell other to re-use HDDs since they get so much slower over the time. Yes it's a moneysaver but old HDD simply isn't that great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    I don't get it why people tell other to re-use HDDs since they get so much slower over the time. Yes it's a moneysaver but old HDD simply isn't that great.
    The HDD doesn't get that much slower... any slow down is usually caused by it being full/clogged up with years of junk. Very easily fixed with a /fdisk.

Sorry tetris. IMO if you got ATI's hardware team together with nvidia's driver support from like 1.5-2 years ago, it would make a monster company releasing top quality reliable gaming gpu's. As it stands we just get different shades of *sigh* and *bleh*, but I'm allowed to dream am I not?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GG you got me View Post
    * Mod edit: Brandbashing not allowed. nVidia cards aren't that much better in that regard.
    You should have followed your own advice and not have mentioned anything about Nvidia in your edit. Doing so invalidates your edit and makes you look kind of like a hypocrite. I have never spoke out against a mod before, but I feel it was a misuse of your power to even say anything about it, since you decided to add your opinion to your edit.

On topic: Honestly you're probably only going to realistically get about $200-$300 for it if you sold everything together. If you piece it out on craigslist, you MIGHT make a lil more, but the time it would take to sell everything wouldn't really be worth it. Personally, I would donate it for the tax deduction.

Deleted
    Personally I would keep it,
    Get yourself a USB remote controll compatable with windows media center,
    Chock it full of hard drives hide, it away somewhere in your living room connected to the TV via HDMI, with the remote sensor in a descreet location and you have yourself a great Media PC.

Thats what I am in the process of doing with my old system of similar specc's.

Quote Originally Posted by ironik View Post
    You should have followed your own advice and not have mentioned anything about Nvidia in your edit. Doing so invalidates your edit and makes you look kind of like a hypocrite. I have never spoke out against a mod before, but I feel it was a misuse of your power to even say anything about it, since you decided to add your opinion to your edit.
    What? I'm only saying that neither is any better than the other. Nvidia was a lot better, and ATi's was pretty horrible. But I know that since they were integrated with AMD, they've improved a whole lot.

And it's not really like nVidias never fail. I personally have both my intel and my nVidia-drivers crash at least once a day in my notebook. I have problems with my AMD card in my desktop too.