Thread: Destro and DTR

Destro and DTR

So I finally got my DTR last night after 2 months of pugging (uggghuhguh), and I tested out my DPS in raids. I'm generally seeing an increase in DPS when I'm playing as Demo (for H Yor) with Wrath of Tarecgosa accounting for 5-6% of my DPS. However, when I tested it out as Destro, Wrath of Tarecgosa is only doing 2-3% of my DPS, despite there being essentially the same amount of DoTs (Immolate, Corruption and BoD). Is it supposed to be this way? It's kinda worrying. I know when DTR procs a direct cast spell like Incinerate, the damage doesn't count towards the Wrath of Tarecgosa total, but all the same the discrepancy in the amount of damage that WoT does as Demo and Destro is strange, IMO.

Is there any addon that allows you to see when DTR procs a direct cast spell? Just so I can see how many of my direct casts are being duplicated? And finally, can DTR proc a duplicate of Conflagrate? Would greatly appreciate some information from the locks who have been running with DTR =D

Destruction has way weaker dots than Demo, so it only makes sense that Wrath of Tarecgosa would be a lower proportion of damage... plus it can't proc from Burning Embers, so Destruction's main benefit from the staff is duplicating direct damage, by far. On that note, yes, it can duplicate Conflagrate.
    Verily, thou shalt rejoice in the house of the tentacle.

DTR can proc from Burning Embers but only the Burning Embers applied by Soul Fire. When it is applied by Soul Fire the dot is considered as applied by the player and is therefore applicable for the staff proc. The problem occurs when your Imp hits the target with a Firebolt. When that happens Burning Embers is considered as being applied by the Imp and not by the player making it ineligible for staff procs.

On the other note of seeing procs from direct spells is just not possible right now. When the staff procs off a direct spell the game casts a completely free cast of the same spell. This shows up in the Combat Log as the spell getting cast. I mean you could dig through a combat log spell by spell and try to find cast time irregularities but that is an absolute ton of work. The best way to go about it is to go with the assumption that the staff proc rate is right around 8.5% as has been determined by crazy amounts of calculations.

Or could it be that also on heroic yor u are aoe'ing a ton and have many more chances for your staff to proc as demo than as you would as destruction

Quote Originally Posted by Gohzerlock View Post
    Or could it be that also on heroic yor u are aoe'ing a ton and have many more chances for your staff to proc as demo than as you would as destruction
    On that note, I'm pretty sure Hellfire procs show up under "Wrath of Tarecgosa" damage, but RoF procs don't.
    Verily, thou shalt rejoice in the house of the tentacle.

Correct. Hellfire = Wrath procs. Other AoEs for Locks is just another copy.

The staff will do equal damage increase for all the specs you will just see it in a different way.

Afflic = way more Wrath procs less direct procs since it can only copy direct spells as in Sbolt and Haunt and so on.

Demo = You get quite a few more double cast on direct specs than afflic and less Wrath damage, but more than destro.

Destro = Most of your procs will be double casts of the same spell and Wrath will show up very small amount.

The direct copy of the spell just shows up as another cast of that spell is why it looks weird for some specs.
    It can literally proc off anything you personally cast or apply as a DoT yourself.

Actually, since the staff doesn't mirror pet damage and procs at a consistent rate between pets, it will benefit more from specs with less pet damage (including guardians and the Imp's Burning Embers). But, since this doesn't change which spec is best for a specific encounter, AFAIK, this matters much less than other factors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Has it been confirmed if CotC can proc from a staff proc? That'd make it a little more amazing as destro. However I choose to stay Demo
    Power?!?! I'll show you POWER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Derivatives View Post
    Has it been confirmed if CotC can proc from a staff proc? That'd make it a little more amazing as destro. However I choose to stay Demo
    It doesn't proc off CoC.