Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Xbox 720 to rumored have HD6670

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/01/27/xb...radeon-hd6670/

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/01/2...as-current-gen

What is your thoughts on this?
    In my opinion Microsoft is cheaping out on components again, they could atleast go a little higher to accomplish sharper textures & 60 FPS lock instead of 30.

(Maybe we should merge this into a Xbox 720 speculation megathread?)
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

I dont understand how it can take 3-4 years to develop a video game console when manufacturing production is so fast. I bet they could build it within a year.

I mean, nvidia is about to release their new line of video cards and AMD just released theirs. Whats so hard about swapping out the old 6670 for a 7970?

Deleted
    Developing a video game console = Building your own PC, but you engineer the parts to fit a certain sized case, I.E LAPTOP.

They're gonna milk the console world as usual. Sigh.

They want to keep the cost of the console down, remember, so it's affordable by as many people as possible.

The better the graphics card the more expensive it is to produce each unit which means they have to charge more.

I could be way off base, but that's how I'd see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Holyshnikies View Post
    I dont understand how it can take 3-4 years to develop a video game console when manufacturing production is so fast. I bet they could build it within a year.

I mean, nvidia is about to release their new line of video cards and AMD just released theirs. Whats so hard about swapping out the old 6670 for a 7970?
    7970 costs $600 and 6770 costs $100? A console with a $600 video card. How much would said console cost retail?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WarFalcon1 View Post
    7970 costs $600 and 6770 costs $100? A console with a $600 video card. How much would said console cost retail?
    Relevant.

http://www.vgzero.com/archive/index....ead-10570.html

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

exactly, most consoles in norway costs from 150-350 bucks right now, imagine at release date.. just an average of 500 bucks, with a card for 600 bucks alone let the rest stuff be alot aswell it can cost close to 1500 bucks for a console and who in the right mind will do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzbert View Post
    They want to keep the cost of the console down, remember, so it's affordable by as many people as possible.

The better the graphics card the more expensive it is to produce each unit which means they have to charge more.

I could be way off base, but that's how I'd see it.
    That is what they did with the Wii.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtuous View Post
    Not sure if this is for or against the higher end card?
    "success of videogame consoles is determined by console innovation and quality, the portfolio of videogame content for the console, online offerings, and the market share of the console
    They are already more powerful then Wii U, and I bet PS4 will be in the same ballpark, but thats pure speculation. As for the rest it has nothing to do with the video card. In fact, putting in a better video card will decrease the market share, as it puts it too expensive for many people to own.

Deleted
    Pc gaming will always be superior because consoles have so crappy parts.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    well you're not able to run games at maximum with no FPS issues with a rig for 200-400 bucks either

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtuous View Post
    Developing a video game console = Building your own PC, but you engineer the parts to fit a certain sized case, I.E LAPTOP.

They're gonna milk the console world as usual. Sigh.
    which means the continuation of shit pc games, yay.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Not sure if this is for or against the higher end card?

They are already more powerful then Wii U, and I bet PS4 will be in the same ballpark, but thats pure speculation. As for the rest it has nothing to do with the video card. In fact, putting in a better video card will decrease the market share, as it puts it too expensive for many people to own.
    True, ignoring the Wii for a moment.

Even though the PS3 is a little more powerfull it is hardly used often. The xbox is the lowest of the 2 and that is where developers focus on, making it look good on the cheapest and then copying it over to the better console. I think it might be best to be the worse of the consoles in that generation. I understand that the PS3 is also harder to program on but lets see in the past.

This was also true for the dreamcast/xbox/PS2 where the XBOX was the best technically I believe but not often completely outshined the PS2.

PS1 generation is kind of moot since there wasn't competition outside nintendo really.

Super nintendo generation vs the Sega console. Both very similar in games often. I think the Snes was actually the worse of the 2 but in many games it didn't show.

Ignoring most nintendo consoles because after the SNES they took a turn for the kiddie market and the WII obviously because of the unique way of controlling.

Anyways, just an observation of mine. Having the best technical console of the generation isn't a guarantee for succes it seems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    True, ignoring the Wii for a moment.

Even though the PS3 is a little more powerfull it is hardly used often. The xbox is the lowest of the 2 and that is where developers focus on, making it look good on the cheapest and then copying it over to the better console. I think it might be best to be the worse of the consoles in that generation. I understand that the PS3 is also harder to program on but lets see in the past.

This was also true for the dreamcast/xbox/PS2 where the XBOX was the best technically I believe but not often completely outshined the PS2.

PS1 generation is kind of moot since there wasn't competition outside nintendo really.

Super nintendo generation vs the Sega console. Both very similar in games often. I think the Snes was actually the worse of the 2 but in many games it didn't show.

Ignoring most nintendo consoles because after the SNES they took a turn for the kiddie market and the WII obviously because of the unique way of controlling.

Anyways, just an observation of mine. Having the best technical console of the generation isn't a guarantee for succes it seems.
    Well it was mostly because the develpoers didn't know how to work it, which was the same for ps2.. remember games before GTA3? however ps3 now holds a decient share of the market, simply because it does look so much better, and this time around ps3 doesn't even need to upgrade that much, and developers already know how to work the new system. i see ps4 being a big contender this time around, Xbox is like the Dell of consoles.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    well you're not able to run games at maximum with no FPS issues with a rig for 200-400 bucks either
    Pc obviously is worse than consoles if you can't afford moderately good comp pieces to run games well. Point is you can't have good pieces on consoles even if u have enough money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    Everyone knows that, but please stay on topic of the discussion.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    Im waiting for playstation 4. I have had all playstations and love the games on it and PSN is nice. I like the store. Most games are on multiplatform anyway but I wouldnt risk to buy another console instead of playstation even if the other one was 10000 times better. I just love some game series more than the consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/01/27/xb...radeon-hd6670/

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/01/2...as-current-gen

What is your thoughts on this?
    In my opinion Microsoft is cheaping out on components again, they could atleast go a little higher to accomplish sharper textures & 60 FPS lock instead of 30.

(Maybe we should merge this into a Xbox 720 speculation megathread?)
    If this is true then sweet, more console gaming at 1280x720! /sarcasm off

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think they should go a little bit higher. That's probably just a little too old. imo.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    To give you guys a bit more information. I have used the HD6670 in a number of PC builds meant for gaming. For all intensive purposes it is a high end HTPC graphics card / entry level gaming card. While it performs moderately well in PC's I could see it performing far better in consoles. My sole reason for believing this is due to the game developers. The game developers are able to eek out as much performance from the HD6670 as possible because that is all they have to design the game for THAT"S IT. That alone makes a huge difference when you can dedicate so much time to coding for one chip, in comparison to PC gaming where they have to code for several generations of GPU's, not just a single GPU.